1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM modulator or satelite ready radio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by kente777, Dec 3, 2005.

1. kente777

kente777 New Member

Should I install an XM satelite-ready radio or should I just go with a modulator? Is there a difference in sound quality?

Ken

2. frankie_delaware

frankie_delaware Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the XM Roady, the earlier model with the the external modulator, and considering I only paid $50 for it at the time, and I can easily move it from car to car, I am very happy with it.

It's important to note that XM audio isn't CD quality. I believe the bit rate is 48kbs, and the high frequencies are noticeably flat. So, even with a satellite-ready radio and a high-tech sound system it won't sound like your CDs. That said, though, the sound would be a little better using a direct audio connection (like the '06 aux input) or a satellite-ready radio than the modulator.

The effectiveness of the modulator depends on the sensitivity of your radio, the strength of the local stations, and the orientation of the car FM antenna compared to the modulator. Most of the time mine works OK, but occasionally I notice some dropout and static, especially in my manual shift car when I move towards and away from the modulator as I shift.

The location of the satellite antenna is another consideration. I have no problems putting the antenna inside the car on the dash, but I live in an area with few hills or tall trees. A satellite-ready radio installation will have an external satellite antenna, which might be better for your terrain. Of course, you can put the Roady antenna on the outside of the car, too, but that is more trouble than just popping it onto the dash.

Hope this helps...

3. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, if you've got the money, how about one that is integrated with your Prius's radio, the MFD, and the steering wheel controls?

www.priusxm.com
    www.metrotpn.com

It's the Toyota factory XM radio for the Solara, but it can be installed in a Prius. I hope to have one by the end of the month. The cheapest I've found is at www.metrotpn.com, which is the parts website for the Metro Toyota dealership in Cleveland. They provide a PDF with installation instructions.

4. benighted

benighted New Member

I bought the coastaltech kit and the sound quality of XM is no better than FM without some of the static.

5. 925PriusGuy

925PriusGuy Winter Gray & Blizzard Pearl Pri

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have the XM kit from www.metrotpn.com with the antenna hidden in the rear spoiler. I agree that the sound quality is not up to a CD..but the JBL system isn't exactly concert quality either. I've tried the FM modulators without much luck,
    I'd install the Totota XM kit if you have the time and $...

The best thing about XM to me is the variety.....not the sound quality and I was going for an intergrated discreet setup so I chose the factory kit...also if portability is an issue, obviously the Toyota kit won't be a good fit for yor needs.

Good luck, either way :)

6. IndyDoug

IndyDoug New Member

If I order a factory Toyota Sirius or XM receiver from my local Toyota dealer will they also do the install? Life would be so much easier if this was the case.

7. benighted

benighted New Member

Any dealer will install it for a hefty fee. Look around your local stereo shops (like Car Toys) and see how much they will install it for, probably about half of what the dealership will charge you.

8. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How did you get the antenna in the spolier? Did you use the antenna that came with the unit? Any cutting or drilling involved? How's the reception?

9. 925PriusGuy

925PriusGuy Winter Gray & Blizzard Pearl Pri

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry All,

I've been away from the board for a day or so... Nate (naterprius) created an excellent guide for installing an XM antenna into the rear spoiler...here's the link to his post last year:

XM Antenna spoiler install

It was quite easy, once you get over using a dremel on your Prius...the spoiler is plastic and is easy to work with. The reception is fine and you need to purchase a smaller XM antenna to install in the spoiler.

Let me know if there are any questions. Thanks to Nate for the guide...I just followed his lead on this mod.

10. Twiddles

Twiddles New Member

Really? I have the Pioneer xm2go airwave portable radio and take it in the car and use the wireless built-in fm modulator. It works great, just as good as the cassette adaptor and never any static.

11. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've got the integrated Sirius tuner in my Prius, and the sound quality through it is light years ahead of that using an FM modulator or cassette adapter. I've got a Sirius Sportster too and have made the comparison against the integrated unit. The sound quality through the FM modulator is so bad that I would rather just not listen to it.