1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM no signal

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by HomeyClown, Dec 3, 2017.

1. HomeyClown

HomeyClown Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    My new to me prius has no signal for the sat radio 98 percent of the time. There are saved stations from the previous owner, and sometimes it will pick up something for about 3 seconds so I know it has the tuner in it. The shark fin antenna isn't screwed in, the hole appears to be stripped out. The antenna is inside the glove compartment. But I pulled over and put that antenna in place to see if it made the sat radio receive and it made no difference. No reception. If the antenna is in the shark fin I can replace it but if its hidden somewhere else I don't want to mess with the shark fin since its working fine for am/fm

Can anyone suggest how to tie in an aftermarket solution? Seems numerous people have complained about reception but nobody has posted a solution. Thanks!

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The satellite antenna and preamp are in the base of the "shark fin" and have been known to fail. Of course without a paid subscription you can only pickup channel 1 which has some music and advertising. There are many solutions posted, in fact at least three in the linked thread below alone. Read the links as well. I put together a pdf in post 10 which is close to yours even though it is my Prius v "wagon" (which is the forum you posted this in}. Prius v Antenna XM Satellite Fading | PriusChat

ps: a normal google search outside of this forum often works better than the one here. For example "XM Fade Priuschat" will bring up multiple links within Priuschat. Recognize there are people out there that have wrong "facts" such as the antenna is under the dash. That's the navigation gps antenna not the satellite.

Also, I am in your area and the satellite works well in almost any weather. Another fact most don't know is Xm has some land based transmitters that work on a different frequency, but our systems will pick that up as well. It is used in downtown situations where picking up the southern satellite is problematic. You know it's picking up landbased when you are in a parking garage and it's still working.

#2 rjparker, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  3. HomeyClown

HomeyClown Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for the response, seems I did put it in the wrong forum. oops! But your link was just what the doctor ordered! that's awesome. I did search, didn't find that thread. Found a bunch but not this one. Appreciate you pointing it out

4. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Read my edited version above on how to search.

5. HomeyClown

HomeyClown Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I am running into problems identifying which one I actually have. I do have Bluetooth in the car, gps and sat radio. Is there a way you can tell by looking at one on ebay which one its for? One I found that said it was for sat and was for my car was but it said for cars without Bluetooth (I don't have a clue why that comes into the game) Like if there is the two connector cable, that's the xm, and you connect to the bolt for am/fm or three cables coming out if you have Bluetooth, some kind of identifier? Thanks

6. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Homey, I will answer the question but in the future please read the thread that I suggested above. It has the answer. You have to take your VIN number to a dealer parts dept or call one of the online suppliers and they will look at your specific car on their system and tell you exactly which part you need. In my case, the original part number would have given me another soon to fail part. That's because Toyota had updated the part (superceded) with a newer part, probably to resolve recurring failures, which I then used to buy online. The online Toyota dealer I bought from is also listed in that thread.