1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM or Sirius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by amaranita, Aug 7, 2008.

1. amaranita

amaranita Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a 2007 Prius with all the bells and whistles. Can I add after market XM or Sirius radio to my car. Also, if it is possible, which one would you suggest?

2. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    There's no comparison. Sirius-XM has merged. In fact that is their name. The merge was approved by the FCC last week.
    The programming that will occur, as I understand it, will allow the customer of either satellite company to purchase either the Sirius or XM programming in bundles. You will still need to purchase an XM or Sirius receiver and get activated with one of these entities. There will be a $12.99 month charge for one. In a couple months each satellite provider will be selling these 'packages' for customers of the other satellite company.
    For instance, I have XM and I may want to purchase the Sirius football package or heavens forbid, Howard Stern. I would then have all of the XM stations with the Sirius package.
    I also heard (on XM) from the CEO of XM, that once the company merges that the redundant programming from both satellite providers will merge. They both have numerous country, talk, sports, 1970's, 1980's 1990's music stations. They will pick the best from both companies and use it for Sirius-XM. I guess there is a blood-letting at both stations while they figure out what employees /radio personalities are cut after the full merge occurs. I understand that the receivers of both XM or Sirius will remain operational after the merge. I am sure in a few years the programming wlll be sold at a higher price and it will just be one company, just like what happens with all companies that merge.

3. amaranita

amaranita Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :confused:So, it really doesn't matter which one I buy? :eek:I am a Broadway nut.:mullet: I am not sure which has the better Broadway programing, but I am sure that Broadway will be cut in the merge. :frown:( it always is)
    Anyone have any thoughts on where to get the best buy and should I have it factory installed? :confused:
    Thanks all.:)

4. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I thought I had read weeks ago that the FCC was going to mandate a price lock for a period of time (such as 3 years)? If this is the case, it might make sense to go with XM since it's a couple bucks cheaper? Or at least it was a couple bucks cheaper back when I got my Sirius awhile back.

5. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    News Releases

6. ctbering

ctbering Rambling Man

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five

http://www.xmradio.com/merger/index.xmc

7. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Broadway?...XM has a broadway show music channel. Don't know about Sirius.

8. pdhenry

pdhenry It's HEEERE!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Sirius Channel 77 is "Broadway's Best."

But I did have to look it up.

9. Silver 2008

Silver 2008 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My car came "satellite radio ready." What exactly does that mean? Do I have to buy equipment to get satellite radio, or just a subscription?

Mike

10. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You have to buy a tuner, antenna, cables, etc. Usually these come as a package. All the satellite ready means is there is an input for the satellite radio on the back of the Prius radio. It can then be controlled by the regular radio controls. Do some searches here to find what suits you. Heres a link to the install I did recently:

http://priuschat.com/forums/audio-electronics/50810-xm-radio-factory-interactive-w-pics.html

11. Enorris

Enorris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have XM and must admit I do listen to the Broadway channel.... I have friends that have Sirius and they say that the Broadway channel has more of the current Broadway shows and more up to date. The XM has more of the classics. I also wonder what will happen to the channels that are similar across the board.

12. amaranita

amaranita Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OK, I got XM. I've found the Broadway channel (28). Now, how do you make the radio screen stay on. I would like not to have to hit the audio button every time a song comes on that I do not know. How can I get rid of the hybrid engine screen?

13. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Touch "Information" -- Touch "Screen Setting" -- Set "Automatic Transition from Audio/Air Conditioner etc." to OFF

It's on p. 194 of my 2008 manual. :)

14. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you go with one right now go with Sirius. I have both XM and Sirius and the music on Sirius is by far better than the stuff on XM. It will be quiet a while before you will be able to get both companies on any receiver.