1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM Portable Radio Install

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by GTGuy, Feb 11, 2009.

1. GTGuy

GTGuy New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

I'm sure this has been posted a thousand times before, and I apologize if this is the 100th times you've seen this question. I want to install a portable XM Radio unit in my car. I know I can get Sirius through the Factory radio, but I honestly prefer to have a portable unit for several reasons:

1) I can upgrade to a new device when it comes avaialbe
    2) I think the dedicated XM units are easier to naviagte
    3) and most importantly, I like to be able to record hours of XM programming, something that the factory radio cannot do.

So no for my question - how would you mount this radio in your car? I cam trying to pick a spot that is easier to reach as well as a place where I can easily route the wires. I think mounting to the left of the steering wheel is out of the question. As of now I am considering mounting to the right of the hweel using a proclip, or somehow mounting it to the center console right beneath the radio. I think mounting it to the center console would be the best since I can easilly roun the power line to the cigarette plug and then the aux wire into the armrest. However, I don't know what adapter or mounting device I would need to put it in this location. If you have any suggestions please let me know. Pics would be great too! Thanks!

2. goolow

goolow New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have one comment. I tried to install portable XM, but when I plugged in the power adapter I heard a terrible amount of electrical noise. Anyone who comments please add the fix for this problem as well.
    Jon

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You need to get the power clean up / isolator to suppress the noise thats generated. Do a search for it. It's been written about a lot!!!

4. mclauda

mclauda New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have a Roady XT that I move between my Prius and my motorcycle. To get rid of the annoying hiss, I bought a ground loop isolator from Crutchfield and installed it between the Roady base (mount) and the aux plug in the center console. Here's a link to Crutchfield:
    PAC SNI-1/3.5 Noise Filter Helps eliminate ground loop noise from your portable music player! (3.5mm plugs) at Crutchfield.com

I ran the antenna from the rear of the car, under the trunk pan, behind the door panels coming out next to the passenger seat. From there, I ran the wire under the seat. I removed the center console and drilled a hole in it large enough to accomodate the antenna plug. I keep the XM base (mount) in the center console. It works well for me. I use the 12v plug in the console for power and plug the audio into the aux port. When using the XM I just pull it out of the console and lay it on the armrest.

5. maseace

maseace Prius enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I mounted my SkyFi 2 XM receiver below the factory radio, and I think it's the perfect location. It doesn't interfere with anything, and it's easily accessible. I used the stick on mounting pad on the vertical surface between the radio and the floor hump. I mounted the antenna on the dash and hid the wires as much as possible (behind the pop-out vent right of the radio).

Attached Files: