1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM Radio antenna

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Bonneville52, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Bonneville52

Bonneville52 New Member

[font=Arial:72d3a7079f] [/font:72d3a7079f] </span><span style=\'color:#\'> I've been waiting patiently for my Prius since March and as such I've sat back quietly while reading and learning from the posted information here on 'Prius Chat'.
    The information has been and is very helpful and for that I thank you. :)
    My Silver 2005 Pkg. #1 will be arriving at the end of the month (actually I ordered a Pkg. #4) but at this point, given to opportunity, Pkg. #1 will be just fine.

I'm now considering ordering and installing the XM Radio.
    My question to those who've already done so is this:

In mounting the antenna upon the roof of the car have you found the connecting cable 'breaks' the effective seal of any weather stripping located on top of the hatch?
    It's been my experience that over time and varying temperatures, the soft rubber used in weather seals can take on a memory and become
    deformed, thus causing a potential leak.

"Thanks" in advance. :)
    Bob
    Oak Creek, WI

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Although that certainly could happen, if one follows Coastal Dave's instructions it's very unlikely. The course of the wire is such that any water would most likely drain naturally and it's under the seal until it emerges. I've noticed no leakage.

3. halfbreed

halfbreed Junior Member

I spend over 2 hours a day in my car and couldn't live without my xm satellite radio. I'm really pleased with the reception too, I get it nearly anywhere except under concrete.
    I had leakage around the antenna wire. Not much, but when washing my car or driving in heavy rain I would get a few drips.
    I believe I followed the directions from priusxm and tried various amounts of slack but it still happened. I tried some GE silicone sealant around the wire, wrapping it in plastic wrap until it set so it wouldn't stick and shutting the hatch so it could mold itself to the right shape, but still dripped a little.
    Finally I got a little wad of Silly Putty and put it around the wire, and so far it doesn't leak. It's flesh colored, but it's only visible when I open the hatch. Try at your own risk, etc.
    If Silly Putty is outlawed only outlaws will have Silly Putty.