1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM Radio Deal - Delphi Roady

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Danny, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here ya go if you’re still interested. This is a great deal – right now you can get the Roady for $120 - $20 coupon + shipping = ~$100 plus you’ll get a coupon for a free home adapter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coupon Link

(Coupon says for Mastercard users only but I used it with my Amex before)

The Roady:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-jvZ7s...SA10035&g=79800

Free home adapter comes with a power supply, antenna, and rca cables to hook up to your home stereo. I wish I could get the free Home Kit, but I bought my Roady a few months ago.

Once you go XM, you never go back to regular FM. Ever.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a good deal. And I agree that XM is so sweet. I just feel like it's almost like having TV in the car--just without a picture. I tune into CNN Headline news on the way home from work when I feel like I've been out of touch for a while. I tune into rock and roll (one of the many classic rock channels) when I'm on the way in to wake me up and start the day. I tune into ESPN new on Sat. & Sun. when I haven't been able to watch sports on TV. When I've got the kids in the car it's Disney or XM Kids. Right now I've been listening to one of the 4 Christmas music channels (channel 30 is a blast--comic Christmas stuff!)

That said, I chose to install the XM Commander http://www.xmradio.com/commander in my '04 Prius b/c it installs so well into the lower open slot in the radio stack. There's no big thing sticking out to break up the smooth contour of the dash. It is a bit more expensive (~$160 at Circuit City/Best Buy and I haven't heard of any discounts/coupons yet). Also, the install will cost ~$60 or more unless you feel comfortable doing it yourself (no cassette adapter), but there are also no wires or anything stickingout anywhere, just the controller inside that amber transparent closure on the radio stack. See photos of my system at : http://www.photoaccess.com/share/guest.jsp...828A86&cb=CB_BH

If anyone's interested or has trouble viewing that album I'd be happy to upload the photos to this site.

Anyway, I didn't post this to dis the Roady, but it wasn't for me, I really love the clean lines of the dash and wanted to maintain that integrated look and the Commander was the only unit I could find that did that.

One last note, if you want to wait or plan to wait. There's word that Toyota will have a system similar the one in the Lexus 430 that will integrate into the Prius for XM--if so you will be able to access the XM directly through the touch screen just like all the other audio components. I do not know what that will cost as it will be a dealer installed option, but there's already a way to get to the 'SAT' on the audio controls and that would be the slickest and best option for XM for those who are not in a hurry and want the best possible install.
    --evan

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Your install does look very good, and I'd love it if you'd post the photos here as well.

Unfortunately, Crutchfield doesn't carry the Commander yet. It does seem to be the best fit for the Prius setup.

Thanks for the info, Evan!

4. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd love to add that, but I have no idea where I'd tap power. I already have a radar detector and GPS navigation sharing the one power port. :( I've gotten spoiled with having more than one power source in my other vehicles.

5. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Find the power lead that goes into the cig lighter and tap off of that direct.

6. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. lex8star

lex8star New Member

12v power

There a second 12v DC outlet in the front armrest coul you use that for the GPS?

8. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: 12v power

I have an 03, which only has the one power outlet in the dash. I already have a 1 to 2 adapter for running both the radar detector and the GPS. My dashboard alread looks like a rats nest of wires with just these two toys. :|

9. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is there a way to get to the back of it all and tap the 12v wire from the back?

10. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure. I've barely had time to keep up with the daily routines to be able to dig around the fuse box on the Prius.

Time isn't looking any better right now as I'm prepping to leave town Monday afternoon.

I'd like to take some time and look into permanently wiring the radar detector as well, and alleviate some of the wiring mess. If there's space in the fuse box, I'd even like to add an additional power tap circuit so that I can recharge camcorder and AA NiMH batteries on during road trips as well.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the audio harness there's a light blue wire--that's your constant power line for the XM or whatever.
    --evan