1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

xm radio factory installed system antenna issue.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by buckspaul, Aug 20, 2006.

1. buckspaul

buckspaul New Member

:angry: ok i finally broke down and got the factory installed unit for xm on friday from the dealer and it was expensive. I soon drove off and got home only to realize the dealer installed the antenna on passenger side dash!! I am furious and calling tomorrow to tell them to install on the roof as i thought this was a given. im getting %50 coverage instead of 95% (its very obvious the metal is blocking signal when the car is traveling northeast and even under the lightest tree cover since the xm satellite in the southwestern sky) when i had xm installed in my previous car the anttena was on the roof with 95% in the same area... does anyone have suggestions on where xm anttena should be installed on the roof of the prius.
    paul in pa

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have a portable XM radio and I installed the XM antenna behind the radio antenna. Others have installed it inside the rear spoiler and some have installed it inside the sharkfin antenna (if they have one).

3. steviescott

steviescott New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(buckspaul @ Aug 20 2006, 07:56 PM) [snapback]306402[/snapback]</div>
    I bought XM system from Toyota and had it dealer installed, they placed it on the passenger side dash too. Before I ordered it I discussed the location and the ignorant aftermarket sales lady (Anna from Ourisman Chantilly) said it would be on the roof. After I complained they placed it on the roof directly behind the radio antenna. The technician explained that Toyota had changed the procedure and antenna. He also remarked that it was easier putting it on the roof behind the antenna because the unit is installed in the back. If you complain they may install it on the roof behind the radio antenna. The reception is 1000% better on the roof, but the antenna looks small and wimpy. Fortunately located behind the radio antenna I can easily integrate it into a shark antenna.

So go back and complain they should put it on the roof for free.

4. buckspaul

buckspaul New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stephen Scott @ Aug 20 2006, 08:55 PM) [snapback]306436[/snapback]</div>
    What is the newest Toyota procedure? on the dash or on the roof? i called and left vm for the service general manager explaing my issue. I aslo called toyota they told me there procedure is on the dash this is crazy.

5. buckspaul

buckspaul New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(buckspaul @ Aug 21 2006, 10:02 AM) [snapback]306660[/snapback]</div>
    ok dealer informed that toyota specs call for dash for superior reception! they informed my to bring the car back in for another two hours of labor to move it to the back of the trunk by the antenna on the roof. does this sound like they want more money or not called toyota corp. their instructions state dash. called xm corp. they state the anttena should be on the roof for best reception.....................................................................................sounds like miscommuncation.

6. rjrose

rjrose Junior Member

I have mine on the dash and the reception is fine. The printed instructions to the installer call for placement on the dash.

7. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Camerabug @ Aug 22 2006, 10:32 PM) [snapback]308087[/snapback]</div>
    Mine is on the extreme right side of the forward roof, just short of the glass. Works perfectly. It's got to be outside for maximum effectiveness. On my home system I've noticed that heavy clouds reduce the signal strength.

8. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mine sits right behind the radio antenna on my Prius; installed that way by dealer. On my HyCam, it sits on the drivers side, rear, on the trunk. I wish it was not there, but the cord was put on by the dude at Toyota, and I really don't feel the need to move it. I get great reception.

9. ralphbongo

ralphbongo New Member

Just a thought. I first mounted the antenna on the dash right side next to the windshield. Worked about 70% Bad reception on the way to work passing under trees. Then placed it on the roof behind the stick fm antenna.Reception better but still got fade under the trees same route to work. Next the fin arrived :) put the antenna under it taped it down, and went for a test drive. Reception on the same route sucked :angry: Last xm antenna behind the fin on the roof reception great. Don't care for the look wanted to hide it but just couldn't get a good signal under the fin (less then 40%). I did find that the stick antenna cut down on the xm signal when the xm antenna was under it. Moved the antenna to the front side of the fm antenna and went to 100%. Who would think that little stick antenna could mess up the xm signal.
    I am not done I want to hide the xm antenna and when I find a place that it works I will post the results.

10. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My XM antenna is mounted on the right rear roof, just above the glass. I get fantastic reception, save for the times where I'm travelling beneath a wide underpass and when I'm in our subterranean garage or in a multi-level parking garage elsewhere.

11. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How do you check signal strength? Like the 40% mentioned?

Nate

12. ribbs

ribbs New Member

We have three Prii (family of five). I had already installed Jon's aftermarket XM on our '04 and '05 with the antennas on the right rear roof corner as instructed. Looked fine, worked great. Toyota finally comes out with the Prius XM kit and I decide to have them do the installation on our '06. I specifically asked where the antenna will be mounted - I am told it will go on the roof. Pick up the car (from Toyota of Thousand Oaks) - the freaking antenna is glued to the inside of the windshield on the passenger side!! Talk about ugly! Little square antenna stuck on with a big metallic patch. I complain, go 'round and 'round with the service rep. End result is he is going to remove the entire kit and refund my money because they can't figure out how to do the roof mount! Anybody know a dealership in L.A. that has their act together regarding this issue?

13. lytthans

lytthans Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I installed the Pioneer Toyota XM module myself (it took about an hour), and put the antenna on the left side roof, just above the hatch, as in the instructions. Wimpy? No more that the regular mag mount XM antennae. I bought the unit from Costal in Fliorida for $299 and it works great. Sure beats what the dealer wanted. My only complaint is that under "Text" mode, the display only shows eight characters.

14. buckspaul

buckspaul New Member

Toyota instructions state the dealer install the xm antenna insalled the front passenger side dash! This is clearly an obvious issue that should be rectified as somone had not done their techincal homework creating this instructions. I have complained to the corporate north american office and i have called xm corporate and they state all vehicle xm anttenas should be installed on roof top for maxium reception.. So what's toyota's story??? stay tuned...... im furious and will not pay another dime they put it on the roof.

15. Webini

Webini New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(buckspaul @ Aug 25 2006, 09:04 PM) [snapback]309617[/snapback]</div>
    Did you get a resolution to this?

16. jverdin

jverdin New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Webini @ Oct 4 2006, 06:58 PM) [snapback]328182[/snapback]</div>

This is very interesting, I also have a brand new Prius with XM installed and it too is installed on the passenger side dash. Have you received any update on the correct position of the XM antenna?

17. Metro

Metro Your OEM Q & A Resource

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to clarify all the information that is being thrown around I will let everyone in on what the current situation is. Toyota's NEW AND IMPROVED antenna placement location is indeed on the dash. Every dealership should be installing it there if they are following Toyota's installation instructions correctly. Does this location provide the best reception? Absolutely Not! That has been established by many dealership personnel by now, myself included. I spoke to Parts Research Analysts, Toyota Customer Service and Toyota's Technical Hotline. Not one person that I spoke to was aware that there was an issue with the reception. Service department personnel should be reporting this issue to the people at the Tech Line, but really what needs to be done is for the CUSTOMER to contact Toyota about this issue. The customer and their "complaints" are what really drives the bus for change within Toyota, not dealers. I realize that this may run counter to what a lot of people think, but it is true. Off the record Toyota even admitted it to me. I realize that placing the antenna on the roof is making reception about as good as one could hope. However there is one thing that people need to keep in mind. If the antenna was meant to be Internal and it then becomes External, will it hold up to the elements? Everyone has changed antenna location when the weather has been reasonably sunny and mild for the most part. I asked the Tech Line if the antenna is an external one and was told NO it is not. I asked if it would hold up to the elements, and was told that no one really knows, but would guess that it would not. Could he be wrong? Sure, but if the antenna fails while it is still under warranty and it is because of water or moisture damage, a new antenna will not be provided by Toyota since it was not used in the way that was stipulated in the install instructions. This is why people need to contact Toyota so that the policy can be changed and people can have the antenna changed by Toyota at no charge to you. But if no one contacts Toyota directly and only talks about it here then nothing will ever be done or at least not quickly. If you do not want to go through the trouble then just buy an external antenna from Best Buy and be done with it.

Toyota Customer Service 1-800-331-4331

18. Webini

Webini New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Metro @ Oct 6 2006, 11:41 AM) [snapback]328933[/snapback]</div>
    I've got my antenna on the right front dash, but made a small mod. My deal installed it per the Toyota instructions and used the ugly metal plate attached via adhesive on the dash and then put the sm mag antenna on top of it. Looked like hell and the reception was iffy. I'm in central Maine so the XM reception can be a a challenge under the best of circumstances (no repeaters, angle from sats).

I remove the metal place and took the antenna off (new antenna style, 1 wire). Cleaned off the adhesive from the dash. I then drove to places where I have had iffy XM reception on another car that had a roof mounted antenna. I found on my car that if I moved the antenna about 3 inches to the left and slight farther back from the windshield that my reception improved to very nearly the same as the roof mount.

I bought a stick of 3M Post-It adhesive and applied two coats to the underside of the antenna and placed it on the dash in my new location. It stays put nicely but can be relocated without screwing up the dash. Reception is much better and it looks 100% better than the dealer install.

I'm staying with this setup as I don't want the antenna on the roof due to looks and performance when there is snow.

19. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Webini @ Oct 7 2006, 12:00 PM) [snapback]329416[/snapback]</div>
    Pics!
    Please!

20. Prianista

Prianista Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Webini @ Oct 7 2006, 09:00 AM) [snapback]329416[/snapback]</div>
    Could you please describe how you removed the metal plate and how you removed the adhesive?