1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM Radio Install Comments

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Sung Woo, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Sung Woo

Sung Woo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I installed the XM radio that I got off of eBay (Toyota dealer in FL was selling the unit plus kit for $240, a good deal) on my 2007 Prius today. Took about three hours and change. The toughest part was removing the plastic housing on the right side of the passenger side, by the windshield (where the side curtain airbag is). I never actually removed the piece completely, but you really don't have to, as all you need to do is get the antenna wire under and hidden off the dash.

Another tough part is plugging in the cord on the back of the radio. I had to use my left hand, almost backhanding it, if that makes sense. It was the only way I could reach beyond the bundle of wires. Minor acrobatics!

Also -- look out when you place the antenna on the ground panel (the black metallic sheet that is supposed to stick on the dash -- I'll need to adhere it differently, as it just wouldn't stay on possibly because it's too cold [supposed to be warmer than 50, which it wasn't today]). The antenna bottom is metallic and will snap right on. I wish the instructions had told me so, as it is now stuck off-center. Everything works fine, but I'd like it to look as perfect as possible.

Taking the back seats was tricky. Just gotta use some force. I think that's a good rule of thumb -- don't be afraid to use sudden, quick pulls during this job. That's how a lot of the snaps came off.

- Sung

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well done Sung, You may find the antenna placement chosen might lend itself to signal dropouts. The fix is reruning the cable and antenna to the back of the car and placing it on the roof right behind the radio antenna. I also did my own install. My antenna is still in the car. I find I really do not have dropouts unless I am in the shadow of a tall building, or under a dense tree!
    This will happen no matter where the antenna is placed. In fact much depends where a person wanting to receive Sirus/XM is located in the states. Signal levels are not uniform across the US!

Sung Woo likes this.
  3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Had trouble with dropout on a factory installed Sirus/XM on a Chrysler Caravan. It only happened when being underneath some of the wide overpasses here in Houston. Seemed to work pretty good overall though, but did notice dropout's from time to time. Also noticed them when being underneath some of the canopies at the various gas stations here and there. Didn't keep the vehicle long, so I did not have a chance to trouble shoot it.

Well done Sung, hope you have good luck and great sounds for the road.

Ron

Sung Woo likes this.
  4. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It took me all of 25 minutes to install my XM radio integrated radio module?? Dont know how/why it too you 3 hours. :eek:

I disassembled the gloveblox removed the vent to the right of the stereo. Had a friend with skinny arms help me by plugging the wiring harness into the back of the radio. We felt back there first for the plug hole. Ran the wires to the glovebox, where the XM module rests, and ran the antenna through the A pillar under the weather seal to the rear passenger side of the car.

I even zip tied the wires behind the glovebox and made it all pretty. In beer-time, it was a 1 beer job. lol

5. Sung Woo

Sung Woo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    PriusGuy32 - 25 minutes?!?!?! Man, you're obviously a pro. This is the first time I've done something like this, and nothing was familiar. I followed the Toyota instructions, which meant I had to take out the back seat, remove the bottom metal frame, drill holes, etc., to place the XM tuner (which you put near or in the glovebox).

My wife has an Acura TSX, and she's been wanting to have iPod integration with her car. This took all of 15 minutes! Everything was within easy reach.

KK6PD & dorunron-- before the Prius, I owned a Hyundai Elantra with XM, and even with the antenna on the back of the car, I had dropouts. I've accepted them as part of the XM experience. :) Hopefully the signal will not be too bad -- I'll be driving the car tonight along back roads with lots of tall trees, so we'll see how it goes.

- Sung

PriusGuy32, dorunron and KK6PD like this.
  6. Sung Woo

Sung Woo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    OK, I drove the car last night, and there are a LOT more dropouts. Looks like I'm gonna have to move it. Ugh! Why does the Toyota instructions tell you to put it on the dash?

The antenna itself looks pretty sturdy, but the wire is very thin...it's OK to have this outside?

- Sung

7. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota puts the XM antenna on the inside passenger side because they did not plan on putting the antenna outside. Ooops.....
    That being said my antenna is on the inside because I installed the thing myself. I have no problems! However, for those of you that do have problems there is actually a little work involved fix that you can do yourself.
    If you did not know this, your XM receiver is mounted under the right rear passenger seat. Toyota runs the antenna wire through the door sill forward and up the right side of the dash. There is extra cable coiled at the receiver, at least I had enough slop to do this.
    You can unplug the antenna from the XM antenna jack, and completly pull it out of the current location. Being VERY carefull NOT TO DAMAGE the connector. You then place the antenna pod directly behind your radio antenna, even though its magnetic, I would place a drop of clear Silicone Sealer on the underside of the pod and as you mount it, and let it ooze out and make a good seal to the top of the car. I used that technique on my 4Runner 6 years ago, and the antenna is still rock solid in place!!!

Now here is where the problem arises, you have to make sure when you are finished you still have a weather tight seal where ever you penetrate the hatchback seal.
    You can gently massage the seal away from the body of the car. slip the antenna connector trough and pull all the excess wire through. Now its up to you how you put the gasket back. Remember the antenna wire also has to fit. I would run the wire parallel to the metal lip, and I would notch out just enough metal at the lip edge so you can transition the antenna wire to the inside of the car.
    You DO NOT want to bend the wire in a hard kink, THAT WOULD BE BAD EGON!!
    After you have the little notch cut out and we are only talking a little bit more in diameter than that of the cable. Make sure you smooth the edges of the cut so you do not damage the wire when you pull the gasket back over the wire and lip of the hatch opening. Take a little of the Silicone and add it at the point the antenna wire exits to the outside world. On the inside run the wire along the inside of the passenger side roof, down inside of the trim pieces on the the side and under the back seat to the XM Receiver.
    Close the hatch, plug the antenna back in and you should now have a good weather tight seal, as well as good reception!!!

Sung Woo likes this.
  8. Sung Woo

Sung Woo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks, KK6PD. Unfortunately, I zip-tied the antenna every so often, so I'm gonna have to do it the old-fashioned way to get it out of there. I'm almost tempted to buy the kit again (~$65) just to save on the hassle of taking it out, but that's just the lazy part of me talking.

"That would be bad, Egon!" Thanks for the chuckle. Made me look up the quotes from Ghostbusters on IMDB:

Dr. Egon Spengler: Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
    Dr. Peter Venkman: Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip. Thanks, Egon.

:)

KK6PD likes this.
  9. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So Sung, what did you end up doing. I got a chuckle about the zip tie thing! I over tie myself, and now the new fad in pro type wiring like I do, is Velcro cable ties! They do not compress the cable causing trouble in fast data video speeds! For the auto application, zip tie away, it works for me!

10. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Slightly off topic but the cables used for SATA connections in PC's have warnings all over them about folding and tieing etc. I would think it would be along the same lines as the high speed video cable KK6PD referred to. I haven't seen a problem yet with the ones I have zip tied loosely, but the warnings are on the packaging.

Ron

11. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly, I have seen TDR (Time Domain Refelctometer) Pics of a video cable that is carrying a 1080I signal deteriorate in steps corresponding to some sort of cable impingement. It changes the cables capacitance at that point so the path is no longer a true 75 ohm impedance. You can see where connectors are in the signal wire path. Same for new computers. Buying a high data speed rated cable is now actually a great idea. You want the signal path to be as smooth as possible!

12. Sung Woo

Sung Woo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I'm gonna do what you suggested -- route it to the back. It's just a matter of finding a day that's not so cold. It's possible I may have to wait until the spring, but I hope not. The dropouts are really annoying!

- Sung

13. Sung Woo

Sung Woo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  14. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sung, in my experience all the Sirius/XM connectors are the same and have been for quite some time (Ive been a Sirius subscriber since pre-2004 and have gone through MANY cars and many different Sirius/XM kits). Therefore, in my theory that antenna "should" work.

15. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's the puck that came with my XM unit. It is already magnetic, small. As long as the connector is compatible, you should be fine!

16. Sung Woo

Sung Woo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Awesome -- thanks, guys. I figure it's worth it to leave the puck where it is on the dash and just pay $17 for another one to mount on the back. This way, I just have to remove the back seat! :)

- Sung

17. Sung Woo

Sung Woo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    No go -- the plug is TOTALLY different on the Toyota XM unit. I was curious as to the possibility of splicing the cables (i.e., cut off the antenna wire from Toyota's and the one I got and try to bind them together), but no go with that, either. The one I got from eBay has layers of copper and other shielding that is obviously very important.

After more research, I found this thread:

satellite radio antenna adapter? - Tacoma World Forums

And from there, I found this converter cable:

Lexus GS Shark Fin Antenna Adapter SFA12M

Not worth it, as it would cost a whole hell of a lot less to just remove the existing antenna. I didn't want to do it, but I guess now I have no choice. D'oh.

- Sung