1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM Radio Install Guide in color

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by toyotapartsnow, Dec 10, 2004.

1. toyotapartsnow

toyotapartsnow New Member

I have been working on an install guide for the XM radio we sell. It is in .pdf format with color pictures so it is very large. 12mb. It's my first pdf what do you expect :)

I would like to share it with some of you. What I want is for those that have done the install to take a look and tell me if I am missing something. I also want those that have not done the install to take a look and tell me if I wasted my time and that you are more confused about doing this yourself than before.

The instructions are free. I just need a little help with the final details and then whomever wants them can have them. If you have ideas on how to make this thing smaller, I could use some help on that too.

Email or pm me and I will figure out how to send this to you. I am waiting on a call from our webhost to see if I can host it on our server.

Thanks.

2. toyotapartsnow

I have the file uploaded on our website. Feel free to download it. All that I ask is that you critique it and give me feedback good and bad so that I may make it better. Also if you use the instructions, weather you by the kit from me or not... let me know if it has helped you.

It is rough, but it will get you through.

Thanks.

Here is the link. Right click on the file, then save as

Eddie's XM Install Guide - metrotpn.com

3. gmurphy

gmurphy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    XM Radio install

>Also if you use the instructions, weather you by the kit from me or not... let me know if it has helped you.<

Eddie - I bought my XM kit from you - installed it last weekend except for final location of module in right rear panel.

I simply dropped my glove compartment and the left and right passenger side vents plus kick panel and front door opening bottom edge trim

Using a mirror, I was able to plug the cable into the back side of the radio without any further disassembly.

I then routed the cable along upper edge of the cabin air filter housing (used tie wraps to secure it ) and down along lower A pillar - used one of the supplied sticky pads to secure it to the metal panel just forward of door opening behind kick panel.

From there on under front door lower edge, through B pillar base cover, under the right rear door lower edge trim and up the side of the rear seat. I removed the battery cooling duct (one bolt) for access up the C pillar and on into the cavity along right side of 'trunk" compartment.

At this point I could not see any stock holes that matched the brackets on the module - but the kit is really for a Solara, so I temporarily used the inner shipping box with a cutout for the cables as temporary housing situated above the 12-volt battery cover.

Your pics show mounting the module inside the trunk panel - how? It must be secured so it does not ride against the outer metal body panel - is there room for it?

Your comments?

4. toyotapartsnow

The Solara kit does not come with the one item that you need to finish the install... double sided 3m tape or 3m duo lock. The double sided tape is self explanatory. The 3m duo lock is similar to velcro only stronger. I was turned onto this by a Prius customer.

You can source either one of these from your local hardware store. I will be including the duo lock in my kits once my supplier supplies me.

I have had many comments on the guide. There will be changes made to it shortly. Let me know if you have more questions.

5. alexandreb

alexandreb New Member

:) Thank you so much gmurphy!! Your trick with the miror works and I was able to connect the Y cable in the back of the unit in 10 minutes without so much trouble.

I have now an IPOD2CAR conected to the cable and it works great.

Alexandre.

6. gmurphy

gmurphy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OK - but WHERE do you secure the XM module?

7. toyotapartsnow

It sticks to the metal quarter.

8. gmurphy

gmurphy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I used heavy duty Velcro pads 2 x 4 inches - one at front of module; one at the rear. Had to "shim" lower rear corner with an extra 1 x 2 inch pad on top of 2 x 4 pad so module would not rock due to curved surface of metal quarter panel.

I took some digital pics of installation and antenna wire routing through a hole under rubber hatch pad - will send them later . . .

9. toyotapartsnow

I have updated the installation instructions with help from many on this forum. The size is only 1.8mb instead of 12mb.

Here is the link. Eddie's XM Install Guide - metrotpn.com

You have to right click and save as.

Thanks to all that have helped with this guide.

10. rmm20

rmm20 New Member

Let me say what a great job Eddie did on this!

I would say anyone comtemplating getting the integrated tuner -
    from any supplier - should download this install guide first to see
    what is involved.

And you can't go wrong buying from Eddie.

Robert

11. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :clap: :clap: Excellent Eddie, this one should be put in the Knowledge Base. :clap: :clap:

12. toyotapartsnow

Thanks for the kind words. It will keep getting better with the help that I am getting from all of you.

FireEngineer, you will see allot of your suggestions in the updated file.

Thanks again. :)

13. Dean123

Dean123 New Member

I could not get the link to work. Eddie, could you check it. Thanks!

14. toyotapartsnow

Are you right clicking on the link that I posted in the message above this one or are you right clicking on the .pdf file once you get to the folder on the website?

I reread my directions for obtaining the file and it seems you could do it either way. Anyway... I changed the link so that it points directly to the .pdf. Right click it and it should work.

Thanks.

Eddie's XMRadio Install Guide - metrotpn.com

15. Dean123

Dean123 New Member

Thanks! New link works great!

16. bweston

bweston Junior Member

Any help with how to do this particular part? I want to install an iPod2Car or similar device and would rather not have to take the dash apart.

Thanks!

b