1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

xm radio operation snafu

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by flyboy09, Jun 17, 2005.

1. flyboy09

flyboy09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    installed the xm radio from toyota that is suppose to work from the solaris...i say suppose to work....wondering if the unit is defective????....we are unable to change the channels from the steering wheel effectively....this is how it works....say you are on any channel from like 4 to 200 and you select the up or down key on the steering wheel....it will the change the channel, (4 to 200), to channel 1 and that is it.....no other up or down steering wheel key will move to another channel from then on...... stuck on channel 1 forever!!! what's up?? :cussing:

2. ambrothe

ambrothe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The controls on the steering wheel operate the XM radio just like they do in the AM or FM modes - by cycling through the presets on each screen. You have 6 presets on each SAT screen, with three SAT screens, for a total of 18 possible total presets. To tune to a channel other than the ones you have preset, you have to turn the "tune" knob on the radio, just like you do when changing to an un-preset channel in AM or FM mode.

3. flyboy09

flyboy09 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    in other words...then it is impossible to select a channel from the steering wheel control unless the channel is first saved into one of the 3 sat banks....or another way to ask it ....so there is no way to scan on your own from the steering wheel controls,,,,say i want to try 4 then 5 then 6 then 7 then 8 then 9 then 10 unless you first save some of them into one of the sat modes? correct?? i am fairly certain that in the owners manual it states that you can scan the radio stations from the steering wheel controls by depressing one of the up or down arrow keys and holding it down until you hear a beep. then the radio scans to the next channel... isn't it suppose to work with the same with the xm channels? :(

4. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    On my XM radio, I can select using the steering wheel up/down control within the presets I have. However, if I manually tune in a non-preset station and THEN use the up/down control, I think it tunes up and down to other stations in that same "genre."

I will double check this in a little while.
    RJG

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only way to tune in individual channels is with the knob on the stereo. It cannot be done from the steering wheel. I'm pretty sure you can't tune radio channels from the steering wheel either...just cycle through the presets.

6. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I apologize. I just went out to confirm what I had written and discovered it is exactly as efusco describes.

But, it looks as if you manually tune in a non-preset, then use the seek button on the radio dash controls, THAT will cycle through the genre of music that you happened to manually tune to.

For example if you manually tune into a "rock" station, using the up/down seek button - on the dash- will cycle through all of the "rock" stations.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, cool find Rick!

8. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

if you press the steering wheel up/down things and you're on a preset channel already, it will go to the next preset.

If you press the steering wheel up/down thing while NOT in a preset channel, then it will go to the first or last preset depending on which arrow you pressed

9. SDiego

SDiego New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So you can purchase a Solaris Xm Radio kit from the dealer, and it will work with the Prius? Has everying you need? wire harness, tuner, everying? If thats the case, I wonder why they don't sell it as a addon at the dealer for the prius?

10. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't come with installation instructions, but yes, other than that, it comes with everything.

I think it must be a contractual thing that it isn't designated as working with Prius...the only reason I can think of anyway.

BTW, there's a Sirius kit that works in Prius now too...? also Solara???I've forgotten, but a quick search will give you the exact data if that's more to your liking.

11. SDiego

SDiego New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow, thats good to know. I wonder If I can get the dealer to install it? Maybe they will just tell me that it won't work. I wonder if its easier than the coastaletech version of the kit? to install that is.

12. Steve Zettel

Steve Zettel New Member

The initial poster's problem is one that had me baffled for a bit, too. When the radio boots up for the first time *all* the SAT presets are CH 001, the preview or free channel. So pushing the little up/down arrow buttons on the steering wheel just cycled through the same channel. I first thought the initialization of the radio by XM corp didn't take. Then I discovered the Tune knob incremented the channels, and started playing with the "seek" and "scan" buttons on the touch screen.

The touch screen controls on the MFD will work as described in the owner's manual for the FM radio/RDS. There is "seek" and "scan" type, and within a type (grouping of channels), "seek" and "scan" through the grouped channels.

My strategy was to go through the channels one at a time with the Tune knob, setting presets as I went. Now I use the touch screen and steering wheel buttons to choose which group of SAT presets I want, and which channel from the group.

BTW, the "Solara" kit is the same thing as the CoastalEtech, the PriusXM, "Eddie's" kit, or the dealer install. Just some minor differences in instructions provided and things to install the receiver/antenna.

I went with the Coastal Etech kit when they were including a year's free XM subscription in the price.

Easy install, no surprises. I'm now playing with the mini-micro antenna in the spoiler, though here in the tall trees and deep valleys of Montana, where there are no terrestrial FM repeaters, it's beginning to sound like I will have to use the roof mount location to minimize dropped signals.

On the whole, I'm pretty pleased with it and it sure beats the only two stations we normally get up here -- your basic Country and your basic Western!

Steve Z
    near Libby, MT USA

13. SDiego

SDiego New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I wonder what the dealers kit costs? I still don't understand why the dealers are adding xm to the prius as a option. I went to the parts dept. two weeks ago, and they said they have nothing,as the prius is not satelite radio ready. It's so wierd, especially knowing the solaris will work.

14. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I believe the Prius is even DVD ready, just that we don't have the ECUs available.

You can seek FM stations from the steering wheel buttons by holding the <|> buttons down. Not sure if that would work with XM, as I don't have XM.

15. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"100124)</div>
    Right, just like if you have the JBL system, holding the steering wheel buttons will change the CD, rather than going to another song on the same CD.

16. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Anybody know how to get the JBL (or not) system to seek through the currently playing CD track such as FF or REW?

Right now, holding down the button on the steering wheel changes CDs, tapping it changes tracks, and holding the seek button down on the console doesn't seem to do anything except change tracks.

17. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

You have to do it from the Audio screen on the MFD.