1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM Radio Options?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by KiNGME, Apr 30, 2005.

1. KiNGME

KiNGME New Member

I have found two XM radio options for the Prius: Coastal Tech and PriusXM.com.

My question is, which is better?

Also, is there a Serius radio solution?

2. bobc

bobc New Member

There are actually 3 solutions. Eddie Bell also offers XM radio.

From the numerous posts on this site about XM, the instructions offered appears to be the only difference, aside from cost:

PriusXM includes a DVD showing detail instructions for pulling the dash apart and installing XM.

Coastal offers instructions that don't require less of the dash to be ripped apart but requires more finessing to get the XM cable plugged into the back of existing OEM radio.

Eddie's instructions are in .pdf format and can be downloaded for free.. His method is similar to Jon's at PriusXM.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but they are all selling the same unit which is manufactured and sold as XM radio for the Toyota Solara.

As for Sirius, do a search under Electronics and Audio. A poster has recently installed this type of satellite radio...

3. KiNGME

KiNGME New Member

Thanks! That was a quick reply!

Are there any wires to run under the headliner for the antena?

4. bobc

bobc New Member

There's two ways of running the wires:

The antenna that is included with the XM unit is an old style antenna. It's large, about 2-1/2" on each side. It also has a large wire that connects it to the unit. The wire is about the size of your typical, in house extension cord. The instructions state to run the wire up and over the weather gasket for the rear hatch and then tuck it into the interior trim that runs along the inside of the hatch leading down to the cubbys in the cargo area. See Eddie's manual, I think there's photos in there.

I opted to replace the antenna with a newer one. Several companies make them. They can be found at:

http://www.xmfanstore.com/showproduct.php?id=roadyant

The antenna is much smaller as is the wire. I placed the antenna on the rear of the car and routed the wire through one of the rubber conduits that go between the car body and the hatch. From there, I laid the wire in the interior trim piece that runs along the rear of the headliner. Much cleaner install. Don't have the wire running up and over the gasket, and no, don't have to mess with the headliner at all.

The smaller antenna requires an adaptor to plug into the XM unit:

http://www.xmfanstore.com/showproduct.php?id=splitter

5. KiNGME

KiNGME New Member

That thing is incredible! Does it work? I mean, it is a FRACTION the size of the other antenas on the market!

6. majordude

majordude Member

7. Scott_W

Scott_W New Member

Reception is generally good except in bad weather. It tends to loose its signal more often in bad weather but seems to pick it back up pretty fast.

8. rwithop

rwithop New Member

The mini antenna has worked fabulously for me.

I put it on the back lower left of the roof of the car...right where it meets the hinge to the hatchback.

What I have trouble with is positioning of the antenna wire in the car and position of the XM device. Since I am using a SkiFi it is FM modulating to get the sound in. That technology is much more testy and staticy.

Ryan

9. londo-cat

londo-cat New Member

10. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There is another option....a portable like the xm2go or the Roady. It's not integrated, but not expensive and it's easy to install. Just run the antenna wire to the back. I have the Pioneer and the antenna is very tiny and sits right behind the regular antenna.