1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM Radio - Prius Installation

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dxradio2003, Mar 19, 2008.

1. dxradio2003

dxradio2003 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

I just installed the Toyota (Pioneer) XM radio option purchased through Coastal eTech. I simplified the XM tuner unit install process by bolting it to the existing amp unit under the front passenger seat. I removed the black plastic cover that is snap-fitted to the existing amp unit. I then bolted the XM unit on top of that (using the existing hardware from the amp unit), providing enough air ventilation between the two units. I then routed the cable and antenna wire under the carpet to the front right door covering, then up to the dashboard radio unit.

The XM antenna fit nicely in the front right corner of the windshield. I made sure to use the provided black metal ground plane that has an adhesive base. The super small XM magnetic antenna then simply sits on top of this base which all fits and looks nice on top of my black dashboard. Reception is very good with little or no signal loss that I can detect.

---bob

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a good idea if you don't mind the antenna being inside the vehicle. Or if you are ok with it on the front of the roof. I really wanted mine in the back so the tuner needed to be in the back.

3. lrwstk

lrwstk New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    here is mu issue:

I picked up my 2008 Prius with package 6 plus touring pkg yesterday from Earl Stewart in North Palm beach, Fl. The salesman back in Feb when I ordered the car indicated I would have xm in the car and thatToyota gave me 3 months free service. The truth of the matter is I have nothong but the button. How much should it cost to have the antenna and receiver installed in the car? Thanks in advance,

LRWSTK

4. lesturner

lesturner Taming the Dragon - Tennessee

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You can get the parts from Toyota... You will need the receiver which includes the antenna, and the cable kit... Mine was close to $300 for parts... They wanted another $250 to put it in...

I did the install myself using the instructions provided by Toyota (have to get them from the dealer or techinfo.toyota.com). It took about 3 hours. I could probably do one in about an hour now. (was being extra careful).

I mounted it under the back seat as Toyota specified.

Since them, I have had some issues with the radio presets that Toyota engineering is trying to solve (under warranty). They never questioned the XM install as it was all OEM and where it was supposed to be.

I can send the installation docs and Toyota part numbers if you need them...

5. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there, I just bought the XM kit from Coastal, seeing that Toyota wanted 499.00 and installation costs for a "Factory Job" from the dealer.
    299.00 from Coastal and a little sweat equity make for a good savings!!!

Good Luck Pat KK6PD

6. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    its 265 here in the store

7. techiechick

techiechick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Got the kit from Coastal installed it by the book.

Love It!:cool:

8. TheKGang

TheKGang New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have an XM account and radio and was wondering how to do this. I am a little confused on how this works. So, you use the receiver you already have and install that with the kit? If anyone has any more details, I would be greatly interested.

Thanks in advance.

The K Gang

9. exbauer

exbauer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    for those that have this installed the xm radio with factory jbl radio(oem toyota xm unit), how is the sound quality? i have had xm in my previous honda's and the sound is not as good as cd/fm radio. i am thinking of installing this, but i am worried with the sound quality.

10. techiechick

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    No.... the kit I'm talking about includes the Toyota OEM reciever that gets mounted under the back seat ...all the wiring... the antennae gets mounted on the dash and everything connects under the dash into the factory radio and MFD. This way you have a factory installation, built into the car. Coastal includes the Toyota factory installation instructons. You can then add this reciever to your existing XM account.

11. techiechick

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I had XM in my Honda CR-V and never had any sound quality issues. Same thing with my Prius.... great sound quality!

12. SoNCSU95

SoNCSU95 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Could someone please confirm that this XM kit from Coastal OR the one from Factory Interactive works for the 2008 Package 2 Prius which DOES NOT have the upgraded JBL radio. That's the only way Toyota will sell it as an option but Package 3 wasn't worth $2500 to me. All post I've read so far on this site has been about Coastal. Anyone out there familiar with Factory Interactive? There kit is $295. Thanks!

13. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've had a similar experience. Satellite radio is considered "almost" CD quality. It is my theory, and I have nothing to back this up, that satellite radio sounds as good as CD on many systems due to these systems being the quality bottle neck...for lack of a better term. You can certainly tell it's lower quality (than CD) on a higher end sound system. I could be wrong, like I said, that's a theory based on my limited observation of satellite radio on a few different systems.

14. techiechick

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I can't say anything about Factory Interactive, but I have the '08, Pkg 2 w/backup camera and I love my XM kit (OEM) from Coastal!! The instructions were very easy to follow and the sound quality is great! It was a bit of a PITA to install... I did it myself and it was my first time ever installing anything automotive so I got a little nervous when all the insides of my new car were laid out in the driveway and the neighbors started placing bets on whether I could "put humpty-dumpty back together again";)
    But it all worked out beautifully.

15. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  16. mskenny

mskenny New Member

I just purchased the XM Radio kit from PriusChat. It didn't come with the instructions, but instead referred me to Toyota's TIS system. When I looked that up, it looks like I would have to pay $10 for 1 day's access. Is there another way to get the instructions? I'm going to take the radio to an installer (probably Circuit City) and would like to have the instructions.

Melissa

17. SoNCSU95

SoNCSU95 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for the responses. Somehow I missed that I could buy the XM kit from this site. I ended up ordering the kit from Coastal ETech. I've spoken with the audio installations manager at Circuit City and he says they are quite familiar with the installation. He quoted me $60 for installation. I'm going that route! I'll let you know how it turns out. Oh, Coastal Etech had my kit here in two days with ground shipping!!! Of course it's out of Florida and I'm not too far away in Charleston. I'll update and let you know how it goes with Circuit City.

18. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

OK!!

Here are 2 excellent articles on XM installation. I used both guides, and they are wonderfully written!!!

#1 http://priuschat.com/forums/attachme...sxminstall.pdf

# 2 https://www.metrotpn.com/documents/PDF%20Files/Prius/Eddie's%20XMRadio%20Install/PriusXMradio3.2.pdf

The first is the factory install document, the second shows how to rip into the dash correctly so you can but it all back together so it still looks sweet!

Have Fun
    73 de Pat KK6PD

19. mskenny

mskenny New Member

Thanks very much!

For the record, I had Circuit City install my old Tao XM radio into my old Saab 900, and they did a very good job for $70. I'm going to try them again for this radio.

20. SoNCSU95

SoNCSU95 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Update...

I ordered the XM kit from Coastal Etech. It's also available on this site and Factory Interactive. Instructions and plenty of people on this site indicated that you could install it yourself but I went to Circuit City for installation. Less than an hour and $55 later...I have XM and it works beautifully!

I've had my Prius just two weeks now. I was told that XM was only available with package 3 and above with the upgraded JBL radio. Well, the difference between package 2 and package 3 was $2500. Not worth it to me. I figured I'd have one of those portable units installed to work through my FM radio, but thanks to the wonderful internet, I quickly realized that I didn't have to settle!

I manged to get in touch with installer at the Toyota dealership. He offered to "come to me" and install it for $89 bucks. I was tempted since he actually installed these things for Toyota, but it would have been no stings attached (no warranty, no guarantee) being that it was under the table. I opted for Circity City (cheaper!) which I thought offered a pretty good guarantee to make things right or correct it...even it if meant putting everything back like it was originally.

I'm so happy! :D