1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM Radio Update

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by funpilot, Mar 21, 2004.

1. funpilot

funpilot Junior Member

Been thinking of getting the XM radio installed by the company in NJ. Can anyone who has tell me if they are still happy or concerned? Any other companies doing installations yet?

2. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I've bought the XM radio from Jon but don't have the car yet. The car is due to arrive the week of March 29th. Jon includes an incredibly informative DVD of him doing a typical installation of the XM radio in an '04 Prius. He includes a lot of great detail every step of the way showing what you need to expect as you go along. Go for it!

3. mboileau

mboileau New Member

I bought the kit from Jon and installed it myself in two hours on a Saturday afternoon. The DVD is absolutely essential. If for no other reason, watching Jon do it in near real-time without breaking a sweat makes you refuse to give up on it yourself when you can't get the first vent to come off! Nevertheless, for someone like myself who can't even change a flat, I was patting myself on the back for a week for doing it myself. Looks, feels and acts like it has always been there. no signs of aftermarket, although some people may complain about the small inch of exposed wire running to the exterior antenna. I'm more comfortable with that than drilling holes.

4. doverbay1

doverbay1 New Member

Does anyone know if this kit will work with a Sirius tuner and antenna?
    Thanks,

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, it won't. The XM tuner is part of the kit. there MIGHT be some way to integrate a Sirius into the system, but it would not be easy.

6. funpilot

funpilot Junior Member

Jon is out of radios but he hopes to get some tomorrow. If he does, I will get it installed on Thursday. Any concerns about it voiding warranties?

7. mboileau

mboileau New Member

The XM unit that Jon provides is a Toyota factory module with a Toyota factory wiring harness. Everything is made to plug and play together with zero modifications. I'd challenge any dealer than claimed that this voided warranty. If push came to shove, the whole thing can easily be removed without a trace since no holes were drilled or wires modified.

Aside from the discussion of whether or not satellite radio is a good idea, ultimately you also need to decide whether or not to spend up to $500 for the Toyota factory integrated system or half that price with an aftermarket system that may or may not wire in directly. I do strongly believe that FM modulated systems will not take advantage of the full digital audio range and signal clarity that a hard-wired system would provide. It would be like listening to a CD you recorded on a casette...

In terms of vehicle resale value, the Toyota factory module will add a few dollars downstream, but wouldn't do you any good to remove it unless you bought another Toyota with a compatible head module. Aftermarket systems can easily be removed and reinstalled elsewhere, if you're okay with something stand-alone that can't use your multi-function display or wheel controls.

8. funpilot

funpilot Junior Member

Well, I am making the plunge. I will have it installed tomorrow.

9. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hehe, welcome to the dark side :)

10. artie

artie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    what does jon charge for the xm and installing in the car?
    who is jon?
    how do i reach him?
    i can't think of anymore dumb questions right now.
    thanks

11. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    www.priusxm.com will answer all of your questions. Jon's also a member of PriusChat so I'm sure he can answer any detailed questions you post here as well.

12. mboileau

mboileau New Member

Jon also gives a PriusChat discount!

13. Jon

Jon New Member

Hi!

I'm Jon. We have some kits in stock today. I always try to keep a few on hand.

Contact me with any questions at [email protected]

Thanks,
    -Jon

--
    PriusXM
    www.priusxm.com

14. halfbreed

halfbreed Junior Member

so what's XM reception like, when will it go out? I drive through some mountain highways and valleys (highway 17 from San Jose- Santa Cruz, CA) You have to have line of sight with the satellite, right?

15. Jon

Jon New Member

Are these highways cut through the mountains? If there's a shear face of rock on one side of you, there's a good chance it will go out for a few seconds. If its just in the valley between mountains, you probably wouldn't have any problems.

There is some buffer, so things like overpasses don't usually cause it to go out.

-Jon

--
    PriusXM
    www.priusxm.com

16. rflagg

rflagg Member

Also, XM uses ground repeaters in certain locations. The cool thing is (at least, you used to be able to do this, do not know about now) if you have a large area where you can't pick up XM, you can call them and let them know - and obviously the more calls they get for a certain area, the more likely they'd be to put in a new repeater.

Driving through the Appalachian mountains 4 times a year, I dont' remember having any lost signal through that entire stretch from DC to Ohio.

-m.

17. mboileau

mboileau New Member

The only time I've ever not had a solid signal has been when I'm at a dead stop in traffic directly below a multi-lane concrete overpass. Of course, actually getting into the dead spot isn't easy, since creeping forward ever so slightly seems to get it back.

18. siai

siai Junior Member

I installed the Delphi Skyfi tuner in my '02 Classic and then moved it to my '04. The installation is pretty easy, except when accessing the radio antenna cable to install the FM modulator. I made a bracket to mount the tuner on the front of the console and I was really happy with how it worked out-------until I saw Jon's XM solution! I removed the Delphi and installed Jon's kit. I sure wish I had his great DVD before I ripped out the dash on my orginal install. The fact that you have access to the touchscreen controls and total intergration of the XM into the factory system is well worth the cost (a little over twice that of a Delphi with the modulator). In addition, there is no problem of washing out the signal from the XM radio when traveling and hitting a area that has a strong FM signal on the same frequency that you are using with the modulator. The only downside is that you have to get an additional subscription for the receiver because it cannot be moved from the car to home etc. Anyway that's my two cents :)

19. joleta

joleta Junior Member

If Toyota makes a factory XM radio, why wasn't it an option in my Prius????

Barbara

20. Jon

Jon New Member

Good question!

It's possible they wanted to gauge the interest before making it available for every model they sell. I have to believe XM will be available on the 2005.

-Jon

---
    PriusXM
    www.priusxm.com