1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM Radio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by airpolgas, Dec 7, 2005.

1. airpolgas

airpolgas New Member

I just got my 2006 Prius Package 8. While reading the manual, I noticed that there is an option to get XM installed. I know Toyota supports both satellite radio services, but the manual explicitly mentions XM, not Sirius.

Either way, I was wondering if anyone knows how much the XM add-on would go for, or would a Sirius option be available as well.

I just want to know some basic stuff before returning to the dealership. That way, I'd be aware if he's giving me bull or whether he's telling the truth.

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    There's a couple of places that sell an XM radio (displays on MFD and is controlled by the steering wheel buttons) for about $300. You can install it yourself or pay someone to. I believe the same goes for Sirius.

3. airpolgas

airpolgas New Member

Thanks for the info. At least now I have a vague idea of the price range.

I am more interested in the XM-Nav service, but the XM site says that's only (so far) available to Acura and Cadillac.

4. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Note that the 2006 literature mentions that XM will be an available option for Prius beginning in March of 2006. If you can wait it could be interesting to see what they offer and if it's better/different than the Solara option most of us use now.

I also wonder if the new MFD and OEM XM kit might allow for more than 10 characters to be displayed at once?

6. airpolgas

airpolgas New Member

Cool.

I have a friend who does installs (sat radio, lo-jack, multimedia on cars), but I am kinda hesitant to approach him for a Prius, because I am not sure if he's worked with hybrids. I'll check with him first, then post my experiences here in the future.

In the meantime, I'll wait for the OEM version and check to see if it is any different than what my buddy might install.

My main concern is the antenna location, because the side of the trunk looks tacky to me. I think the best antenna locations/appearance (again, this is an opinion), are those that are on the Acura TL's and some newer Honda Accords. My buddy installs the antennas in the middle of the dash, inside the car (just where the dash meets the windshield); or sometimes behind the rear view mirror (just where the windshield meets the roof). They are mostly out of the way and does not add wind friction. :D

7. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You can have him look at the XM radio installation instructions to see what has to be done.

I have a Pioneer Airware protable XM radio and the antenna is very tiny. I have it installed behind the regular antenna right where the hatch is. It looks good as it's inline with the antenna and the rear window washer.

8. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Were you talking about the XM Traffic service that displays traffic problems on the map? If so, all I know is some of the third party NAV systems have that feature.

9. jsf

jsf Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unless the XM module manufacturer, Pioneer, is coming up with a new part number for the Prius (doubtful - probably will be same that Toyota offers for the Solara, and same that available for $300 that is added on to the Prius) mostly likely XM Nav will not be available for the 2006. Best bet is the 2007 Prius. :)