1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM radio

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by edward15, Sep 22, 2004.

1. edward15

edward15 Junior Member

Prius-XM vs. Coastaletech.com; I've viewed both of these xm radio add ons to the Prius audio system; the only difference is that priusXM offers a DVD that describes the installation of the unit.
    Does anyone have an opinion as to which vendor would be better? Also if you ran into any problems or have hints about installation I would appreciate it. Thanks

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. exces6

exces6 New Member

I've got a few questions. First, do you have to use the tuning knob to change channels with both kits? Is there a way to use the steering wheel controls? Also, can the receiver box be mounted behind the dash instead of in the back of the car?

Thanks.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The kits are identical Solara parts. Yes, to tune in through all the channels (i.e. not the ones on your presets) you have to use the tuning knob. You can scroll through the preset channels via the arrows on the steering wheel.

I think the box could be mounted, without much difficulty, behind the dash. TERK sells antenna wire extenders with built in amplifiers that would let you extend the antenna to the back if you still wanted it there. Otherwise you'd need to find a way to get the antenna to the roof with the wire hidden yourself. Also, you'd probably have to build or find a solid metal part to screw a mounting bracket to behind the dash, I don't think it will just 'sit' there anywhere.

5. exces6

exces6 New Member

Thanks for the quick response!

6. Steve Goldenberg

Steve Goldenberg New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As much as I'd love an intergrated X-M, I'm probably going to buy a PandP Sirius tuner for the Prius. My main use will be at home. I live at the foot of a steep mountain that blocks X-M but not Sirius. When I go on an infrequent long drive, I'll velco the tuner to the dash and once a year, I'll take it to Lake Powell which also has steep canyons. Too bad because I prefer X-M programs and would love to have it integrated with my Prius MFD.