1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM Recommendations, please?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by techiechick, Apr 7, 2008.

1. techiechick

techiechick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi Guys!!
    Brand new Prius owner here!! Love my Prius, but I already miss my XM.

I'm looking for recommendations for an add on for XM. This one looked good to me...XM Radio in Prius.

Has anyone out there used this one? Is it really as easy as they say it is??

Thanks!!

2. Yankees251

Yankees251 Black Touring HI Package

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Might be worth holding out until Sirius/XM merger details emerge.

3. techiechick

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I don't think I can wait that long!! looks like they still have a few months to go!!

The last posting I saw was on March 24, 2008:

XM Merger Announcement

"On March 24, XM announced that the Department of Justice (DOJ) had approved the proposed merger with SIRIUS. XM is pleased that after a thorough review, the DOJ agrees that the entertainment marketplace will remain highly competitive and robust after our merger.

With the DOJ's decision behind us, our next and final regulatory step will be a decision from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). Soon after FCC approval is obtained, XM and Sirius would complete the merger.

The combination of our companies will lead to more choices and better pricing for our subscribers, and result in a stronger competitor in the rapidly evolving audio entertainment market.

As we have said, no XM radio will become obsolete as a result of the merger. We have millions of radios in use, including many that are factory-installed in automobiles. After the merger, our subscribers will not need another radio to continue to receive programming like they now enjoy. The XM platform will continue to offer a full complement of programming to our millions of subscribers.

We'll communicate directly to our subscribers once the FCC has rendered its decision."

4. peakay

peakay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I just bought an 05 that has XM and I am pulling it out to put in Sirius. It's a standalone tuner with remote that the previous owner put in the dash storage compartment.

It's not he factory setup, but I would let it go very inexpensively. I am pulling it out as soon as my sirius setup arrives.

PM me if interested.

5. sleonardelli

sleonardelli Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    From what a friend told me, right now may not be the best time with the Sirius and XM on the verge of a merger. That's why I chose not to have the dealer install a Sirius radio. Supposedly, there are no interoperable satellite radios at this time. Before you get the XM, just do a little research because if (when) the merger is finalized, there may be a need to upgrade your radio to an interoperable version.

I'm not an expert and my friend usually knows what he's talking about. He's a Sirius subscriber himself and he keeps himself informed on tech-related topics.

Hopefully someone else can debunk my friend's theory but I'll hold out a little longer and enjoy the 6 cd changer or get an mp3 player soon.

6. techiechick

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm not sure about that... Did you read my above post?

XM Merger Announcement

This was only posted 2 weeks ago on the XM site. Also XM has always maintained that "no XM radio will become obsolete as a result of the merger."

I went to the Sirius site, and I can't help but notice they didn't voice the same thing. In fact, this press release from Sirius quotes the NAB and mentions radio interoperability being a major issue:

"We are astonished that the Justice Dept. would propose granting a monopoly to two companies that systematically broke FCC rules for more than a decade," said NAB exec veep Dennis Wharton. "To hinge approval of this monopoly on XM and Sirius' refusal to deliver on a promise of interoperable radios is nothing short of breathtaking," he fumed."

But according to this article, it sounds like radio interoperability was a condition of the DOJ approving the merger, pending the FCC. Supposedly it will take some engineering tricks, but we should have interoperable, al-a-carte programming within a year. And just like the digital TV thing, there is always a phase-in/phase-out time.

So, I think I'm ok! I sure hope so... I just ordered the CoastalETech model!!

7. Linden

Linden New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I went the cheap way and used my receiver that I already have (expressR) and the handy AUX plug in the centre console that came with my Prius. I just stash my receiver in the centre console, and the antenna in the glove box when not needed. Takes 2 seconds to pull them out and plug in the antenna. (I just put the antenna on the dash) The receiver sits perfectly on the lid of the storage thing on the dash.

8. sleonardelli

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    They have developed interoperable satellite radios but none are manufactured yet. I'd wait until they manufacture the interoperable radios.

9. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Tina, I wish I had seen this before you ordered from Coastal. I would have suggested a thorough search around here to get a good sense of their customer service record. I haven't bought from them, but reports of poor service are commonplace among those that have. You should be OK if the item is in stock and you need no support. It might be a whole other story if they're out of stock or you need to contact them.

FYI, there are other options. I have the Vais Tech unit as described here. Factory Interactive also sells one, apparently with a very well done instructional DVD for installation. Then there's the Toyota OEM unit.

I'm not worried about the effect of the merger. If any radio you buy now creates a problem, then every radio sold before now would too. I am confident that the company(s) won't turn their back on half their customer base by doing something to render existing radios obsolete. Sorta defeats the purpose of the merger.

What is your source for that information?

10. sleonardelli

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    "The parties did in fact develop an interoperable radio and my understanding is they have one," he continued. "But there's a difference between developing something and market acceptance of something."
    The companies subsidize the cost of equipment, which reduces the upfront cost to subscribers. An interoperable radio might lead to a more expensive radio, Barnett said, and it would be unclear who would subsidize the cost.

XM-Sirius merger abandons one-radio idea
    Questions linger over antitrust approval of XM-Sirius merger - TwinCities.com

11. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for that! I hadn't heard/read it before.

12. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A few months back I decided to just by the cheapest Sirius radio I could find ($29) that way I could have it now and wait to see how the merger plays out. When they start selling the radios that pick up both services I will buy a new one that integrates.

13. Bobby V

Bobby V My other car's an Excursion:

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Thanks Tina:
    I'm in the same situation as you and would like to find a "friendly solution." I miss not having my XM in this 08 prius.:car:

14. techiechick

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ok... Maybe I jumped the gun on the order.... That Vais does sound sweet. Although according to UPS it just got dropped off at my office! If I change my mind, I can always sell it on ebay, right??

So let me ask you guys this....

I have a Pkg 2 with backup camera. What I'd like to do is add XM and add full ipod integration (ipod touch, if that matters) Then, if it's possible, add the ability to plug in a DVD player to the MFD.

So.... Now what do you guys recommend??

15. JimboK

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Vais also sells an XM unit with iPOD integration. I'm not as familiar with it as their basic XM unit. (I don't have an iPOD.) I would check their site for more.

As for a DVD player ... hmm, not sure about that. That might be illegal anyway. Some states (mine among them) prohibit video players that can be seen from the driver's seat.

16. techiechick

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    OK guys...

I have to give credit where credit is due --- Coastal rocks!
    I know some of you may have had issues with them but they definitely did right by me.

The unit is a Toyota OEM reciever. Full instructions, with pictures, they even threw in some jellybeans! Granted, the installation is a bit of a pain, but well worth the savings.

Full 16 character display without using a third party solution.

Love It!!!:D