1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM - Sirius Converter ??

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by eglmainz, May 19, 2009.

1. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I gave Sirius a call this afternoon, as I am patiently awaiting my 2010 Prius V with Navi, to inquire about adding an XM lifetime sub to my account, as I am already a Lifetime Sirius Account Holder.

What they told me really surprised me. While I can add "the best of XM" package (with 10-15 new XM channels broadcast over my existing Sirius Radio) for only $100 lifetime (added to my original cost of Sirius Lifetime for $500), I would not be able to use this in my Prius.

The only way for this to work, with any exisiting Sirius Lifetime subscriber is to purchase, from the car dealer, a "XM to SIRIUS converter". This will somehow 'convert'; my XM stream found in the car to a Sirius Stream, which I will then be able to listen to.

Has anyone ever heard of this? A quick call to my dealer confirmed that he had not heard of this (but he will look into it in the AM when he returns to the office). I am fine with adding a converter if this will help me get my radio for free (since I alreadey paid for lifetime). but then, what about the Nav Traffic? Will it work with the Sirius NAV Traffic? All these questions, and no answer. Grrr...

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a lifetime Siruis as well. Here's the problem with doing this...

You are only allowed 3 'upgrade' radios for the lifetime of the subscription and each costs $50. So if this device exists, and you change your radio to the one in the Prius, your 'upgrading' and have to pay the $50 and only have 2 more upgrades now. I'm 'fairly' young (32 lol) so if I did this, and I trade every 3-4 years there goes my lifetime subscription... Just something to consider.

Oh, and I have heard of things for GM vehicles that convert them from xm to sirius and vice versa but I have never inquired about them nor looked them up...

3. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This "restriction" all depends on when you bought the lifetime. I bought mine early on, and will not be charged that, as this was not a condition then (they added that about the time Howard Stern joined them in December of 07. I am currently on the original radio (on it's last leg), so I will not be charged with changing... Even if I were though, to me that $50 every few years, as compared to $15 per month, every month... still seems like a bargain. I am young(er) too at 37, and could otherwise end up paying a lot of those fees...

I have started looking this up, and while I have not yet gathered the information needed, It seems as though this may just be as simple as adding a Sirius Tuner (for about $100) to the car, and unplugging the XM one. Since Sirius also has Satellite traffic, I am VERY keen to know how this works. As I learn more, I will post it here.

4. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That's interesting to know, I never knew that... Wish I would have gotten into Sirius early on! lol

Any information you get is appreciated, Thanks for taking the time to look into it. :)

5. sshaw10

sshaw10 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm in the same boat. Have Sirius and was afraid of this. There is a kit that converts an XM to Sirius for a lot of cars. I don't think they cost too much but I've heard and read that you need to be sure the antenna that's installed on the car will work with the Sirius unit. They can be different and you can loose a lot of signal quality without changing the antenna over.

I'm going to research more myself and will post any updates.

6. winebuff

winebuff Proud owner of a 2010 Prius

Model:
    IV
    Question: With the new car you have XM satellite hooked up an playing. I assume it is a 3 month subscription but what happens at the end of the trial, do you get a bill if you dont cancel it?

7. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I'm pretty sure it just stops working at the end of the trial... you need to call to activate after that or call before hand to keep it working. They'll need codes for the XM radio that are found with the paperwork you got with the car...

8. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When my trial with Sirius ended it just stopped and I got a message on the radio on who to call. I didn't renew it for several months and then when on a trip I found that I really would like to have it. We called the number from the cell phone while on the road and within a few minutes we were getting the signal.

When I bought my TCH it was simply XM "compatable" and did not come with a trial. I have Sirius in one vehicle and two portables for the kids and didn't want the XM. I was too cheap to spring for it then, I'm not sure what I will do this time. The costs were about $400 I was told as it took a Sirius tuner and an new antenna. At least that is what I was told.

9. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

That's right, a co-worker bought an 08 Accord and he just read the info off the screen when he called to activate it. But he did it like the day after he got the car... I'm gonna use up my 3 free months till almost the last day so they don't have the chance to bill me before my free time is up! lol

10. david.delano

david.delano New Member

I've been away from Prius Chat for a long while, but back, with a new 2010. So, I'm bumping this thread as I see no one who has actually solved the issue.

Here is my issue....

I have an XM radio (and subscription) that I use in my 2004 Prius, or in several docks that I have. Recently, I upgraded my wife to a Mercury Mariner Hybrid. It has Sirius. Even more recently, I have upgraded to a 2010 Prius, and it has XM (my daughter is driving the 2004 Prius - no way I was trading it in!). I don't see any way to update the Mariner to XM. It appears the Prius can use Sirius, but I'd like a definitive answer on that. Also, does it effect the traffic feature (which I've yet to experience).

The reason would be to get everything on one account, to take advantage of the family plan discount. Even though they are now the same company, they are still keeping the accounts separate. I really don't want to be paying full price for two accounts.

BTW, I would really prefer XM from what I've experienced (I have Family Friendly with Best of Sirius). So, the optimal solution would be to change the Mariner, but I have not found that to be an option. Sync seems to be tied to Sirius.

David

11. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Theonly questions that I see in your post is can the Prius take Sirius? if that is the question that you are asking, then yes, you could technically get Sirius installed in any vehicle- but for a price. What I am understanding about your current situation is that you currently have one Sirius Subcription, which is full price, and two XM subs, one of which is costing full price, and the second of which is discounted as you already have one. Ultimately, you would like to be able to pay for one full price, and two discounted ones, is that correct?

If this is the case, it is not currently possible. If the Sirius sub is a lifetime, they will do a one time switch, for $75, of that one radio, and make it XM, but that would not work for you, as the mariner currently as Sirius. I am not sure what sort of aftermarket solutions may exist for that vehicle, but if it can be converted to XM, you may be able to go that route.

If I have misread your question, please rephrase it, and make it so that the question itself so that I can see the actual question.

12. slkram

slkram Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I am in the same situation. Please keep us posted. Thanks.

13. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No, there is no easy way to simply switch the tuner and install the Sirius one. Instead, just switch over to XM, add the best of Sirius, and you will have the whole Kit and Kaboodle, and if you buy the lifetime, as I did at $500, it will pay for itself after three and a half years, as that is when the monthly payments total over $500 otherwise.

Of course, you also have the option of simply using a sirius, winow mounted unit, and FM the stream to the car's FM tuner, or patch it to the AUX cable input.

14. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You can get the Radio ID by tuning to channel 000.

15. Brucester

Brucester New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sirius offers a conversion kit that is compatible with Toyota products including the Prius. See the following links. You may need both of these units. One is an interface and the other is the Sirius tuner. This will allow you to use the original head unit in the Prius retaining the same functionality.
    Will post links shortly

16. LoraJ

LoraJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We figured by the time we bought all the conversion stuff, and since we are not handy, hire people to install, it would be cheaper just to get the XM lifetime with best of sirus in the Prius.

But we paid every two years for Sirius, did not have Lifetime there.

17. david.delano

david.delano New Member

I haven't paid for lifetime, and my current XM runs out in October. So that's not my issue.

What I want to know is, has anyone actually done this conversion. To me it looks like all one needs to do is swap a Sirius head in for the XM one, that all the other stuff should be there. The part looks to be $99 which I'd easily recoup in a year. And, it looks like the sat radio is under one of the seats, implying that no dash tear apart would be needed.

I also want to know if said conversion then works ok, especially if the existing antenna setup is sufficient.

And, what happens to XM traffic? Does the Sirius traffic work the same way?

My current radio that I had in my 2004, and can use at home and at work is the only subscription I am paying for. It is XM with Best of Sirius, and I am happy with it. The subs on both vehicles are the ones that come with the vehicles (6 mo and 3 mo) so, I really have until the middle of October to figure this out.

I DO prefer XM. I don't see a way to swap the Mercury Mariner (which is Ford Sync) to XM. I really don't want to swap everything else to Sirius, but I'd do it to not have to pay for two full subs (and in this case I'd likely just drop the third one).

But, I want to hear some real experience from someone who has actually been through the conversion. I don't want guesses.

David