1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM suddenly stops working on 2010 Prius V, Package AT

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by MattD, Jun 19, 2009.

1. MattD

MattD Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,
    I've found an odd state (and fortunately, an interim solution) to an odd problem with the factory XM radio installed in the new Prius.

The problem seems to manifest itself when the signal is fluttering (going back and forth between reception and no reception, where the automatic mute kicks in to eliminate the white noise when there's no signal.) This seems to happen most frequently in parking garages where one end is open and has some weak signal reception and others where it is dead.

In one place where I park, it fades intermittently very quickly in a very small space. The net-net is that when this occurs, the signal seems to go into a permanent mute, even when the problem goes away. The only way I've found to clear it is to go somewhere, park, power down the vehicle, and power it back up...

Thought I would pass along...

1 person likes this.
  2. jay_man2

jay_man2 jay_man_also

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the same issue with the XM in my '08 Highlander Hybrid, and would fix it the same way. Haven't had the problem with the Prius yet.

3. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think you will have MANY owners of a wide assortment of vehicle Makes & Models who are encountering this very problem.

We have an 07 Acura RDX, and it exhibits a similar problem, and requires the same fix (ignition OFF, wait a few seconds, and ignition back ON again).

Since it seems to affect a varying number of Makes & Models, I suspect it's something in the XM
    portion of the radio.

Once someone Posts a resolution to this problem, you may have inadvertently aided MANY owners of MANY varying vehicles with this same problem!

Thanks for This Post

David (aka Blind Guy)

4. Tombo84

Tombo84 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have 2011 Prius and my reception stopped completely. I called Sirius, they sent me a refresher signal, nada. They then told me to go to the dealer. After a $115.00 diagnostic, they found that the Antenna Amplifier, part no. 8696047011, cost, $162.00, no problem, Where is it located? Under the rear roof (the antenna screws into it) How do we replace it? Simple, we just drop the headliner. Now the cost is in the neighborhood of the Nat'l Debt. (in the $350-$400 range) Since I have no experience with headliners, does anyone out there know how to do this? and what do I have to be careful with? Thanks, Tom

5. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    It's probably in that range because its a PITA. Here's some docs that might help you assess whether it is within your DIY.

BTW, love Ocala!!

Attached Files:

6. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Have to add, left XM in the dust years ago.
    Pandora for free will play a better selection, for 5.99$ a month it plays a better selection commercial free and you can download anything for times when there's no reception.

7. Erik Owens

Erik Owens Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do you know how to access your diagnostic mode for your radio/ navigation/ XM? Basically turn your power acc on, not ready on. Press and HOLD either audio or home button WHILE turning your headlights all the way on to off three to four time ending in OFF. Your radio screen should turn to a different screen where you should be able to access certain codes and possibly see if your GPS signal/ XM signal is actually transmitting. It will be all numbers and coordinates and sorts. Check it out. If you have a CHCK or codes are Present and not HIstory then research and good luck.

Grit likes this.