1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XM - Where To Get It? How to Install?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by npro1464, Feb 17, 2010.

1. npro1464

npro1464 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We recently bought a 2008 Touring Prius and I would like to install XM so we can use it through the dash controls instead of having the tumor-like XM kit set up somewhere on top of the dash. First of all, whats the best place to buy this? I've seen them on ebay, but I wasn't sure if this is what I wanted or if I should buy it through the dealer. Secondly, is there a DIY step by step instructions somewhere here (or somewhere else) to help with the installation? Is it difficult for a novice to install like me? Also, I've heard that it is better to mount the antenna on top of the car instead of the dash (like instructed), how does this work? Do you need to go out andf buy a different antenna? Thanks!!!!

2. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have tried two different brands. I now have, and recommend, the Vaistech unit mentioned below in my signature. It mounts out of sight and interfaces with the stock system, and displays on the stock Toyota touchscreen. The shop that installed mine mounted the antenna on the roof just above the rear hatch opening, routing the cable around the hatch opening and under the trim and carpeting. Not sure how difficult it is to install as I just paid someone to have the warranty (the install warranty - I'm sure the components would be warranteed if you do your own work). Do a google or Ebay search for the unit listed below.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I too recommend the VaisTech unit. I mention it here. Installation was not difficult, just a little tedious due to the number of dash panels that have to be removed. I wish I could give you a link to dash disassembly instructions, but I can't locate any at the moment. But a good search should help you find them.

Largely out of laziness, I placed the antenna on the dash rather than taking time to route the cable through the car. Reception generally is very good. There are the usual dead spots of course: tunnels, parking decks, mountains. In addition the signal will drop out with a thick overhead tree canopy, usually only on narrow roads where trees line the road closely. From past experience with XM, I'm confident a roof-mounted antenna would take care of that, but it's not frequent enough to go through the hassle of moving it.

4. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Trade XM Sirius stock!! Symbol is SIRI. I just bought thousands of shares. Went up from $.70 to $1.00 this week. I hope it keeps going up.

Yeah, you add that satellite radio to your Prius.

5. npro1464

npro1464 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great, I think I'm going to order it. Do I get this installed just at an audio shop? A Toyota dealership? Is there any directions of how to DIY that come with the thing?

Also, is this all I have to buy or do I have to order something from XM?? Thanks!!

6. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    it's a DIY kit with instructions. Moderately difficult as far as DIYs go, but easy as far as mods are concerned. I'm a novice too.

If you do feel uncomfy go to an audio shop. Not the dealer - they'll charge u more usually for their help.

You need to buy the subscription for XM.

There's one last thing you need to buy- thy SIRI stock!! It's gonna blow through the roof with Ford now and it's trading at a high volume- definiltey a good sign.