1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

XP SP2 crashes

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daniel, Jan 13, 2005.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I run XP Pro, SP2, and have it set to notify me of updates. I have it set to ask me before downloading anything, but I always download and install any it tells me to.

Yesterday it told me to and I did. I paid no attention to what the updates were.

After clicking on "Install" I locked the computer (Windows key + L) and went off for a while. Upon returning to the computer I hit the space bar and got a blank screen. Blue, I think. But no log-on prompt. Nothing responded. Not Esc, not Ctrl-Alt-Del, nothing. I hit the computer's on/off button and got a prompt asking if I really wanted to shut down. I clicked Yes, and then nothing further happened. I could move the cursor, but that was all.

So I cut the power at the UPS, waited a count of ten, and powered back up. Hit the On button, and the computer booted up, apparently normally. It seemed to work fine. But then after a short while (15 minutes? 30 minutes?) it locked up. The cursor moved and I could select a desktop item, but all I could get was the hourglass. No program would launch. Even the Start button did nothing, and right-clicking on the taskbar to try to get Task manager did nothing.

Again I powered down and back up. All normal. For another short while, and then the same thing all over again.

After 4 or 5 iterations I phoned Microsoft. They are very nice. They provide free telephone assistance for SP2. The man talked me through running MSConfig. We poked around the Services tab, and then on the Startup tab he had me uncheck everything he considered unnecessary, telling me he suspected a compatibility problem. He also wanted to shut off the Windows Firewall, saying it conflicted with ZoneAlarm (which I run) but I balked at that, saying I had had no previous problems, and Windows Firewall is supposed to protect me between boot-up and the launching of ZoneAlarm, which then shuts off the Windows firewall.

Upshot is that since then I have had no problems.

But I am concerned. He told me those things we shut off will launch if they are ever actually needed. For example, there's something from Quicktime, and something about my scanner, lots of stuff that does not need to launch at boot-up or be memory-resident, but which will run from time to time as needed. And if one of them is causing the problem, it will recur the next time that process is called upon.

I offer this story just for the information of anyone who might be interested. Makes me nostalgic for the days when I ran genuine Unix on my 80286 on a partition of my hard drive. I've thought of switching to Linux, but I'm scared of it because I've heard you have to be a hacker (in the good sense) to get it configured right, and because there's too many programs I want to run that I don't think are available for Linux. Efax and PressDisplay, stuff like that that uses its own proprietary software, and PowerDVD and Bookup, etc.

I appreciate MS's free assistance with its buggy software, but I do wish they'd drown all their programmers in a potato sack and hire people with more than one brain cell to write their software.

If Digital Research, instead of Microsoft, had gotten the contract from IBM to write the operating system for the original IBM PC, the entire world of computing would be different today. There would be no worms or viruses and the sun would always shine and snow would fall on fields and yards and leave the streets and driveways clear.

2. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mac mini. $499. It's got your genuine Unix inside and a user interface that can't be beat.

3. ChetFields

ChetFields New Member

I had the same problem almost exactly. I think I fixed it by UnInstalling the video driver update. NVIDIA something or another. It had placed a configuration panel in the systray which hadn't been there before.

4. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    LOL as I read the original post by Daniel the little pop up add at the top of the page was for the Mac mini. I have to say as a Mac user since February 29th 1984 (number 12 on the waiting list for a Mac from my local store ordered the day after the Super Bowl, Can we say Deja vue all over again) I was not willing to give up my classic Mac OS but I would never go back this Unix based OS is incredible and I am even learning the command line for a few things. That is becoming less and less necessary as the GUI becomes more compleat. I still have a lot to learn about the guts of the OS but that is half the fun. The Prius and the Mac have a lot in common as do the two communities. I am taken back to the early years of making my own modem cable and Red Rider to access the Apple and Mac Boards on Comp u serve! My Mac is fun, my Prius is fun and I am learning and that is the most fun of all!

5. Speedracer

Speedracer New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    MS XP PS2 has too many problem(S)!
    Past employer had similar problem when updated to PS2.
    Also, XP manage to conferect to any hard wear(ie: monitor to scanner) and manage to freeze up the computer or wont turn on.
    Someone told me before when updating to PS2 the computer crashed and lost a data.
    Its Microsoft what can we do.
    For me, 2 my laptop is running okay but 1 other laptop (which belong to my father) some how computer can not update to PS2.
    I want new Mac so bad and I ordered ipod shuffle :mrgreen: should be here with in 3weeks :roll:

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I simply opt for the Linux variant :)

Unfortuantely of all of the services you disabled, you probably have little idea which is actually causing the problem. Have you opted to re-enable them one by one to see which is the problem?

7. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    Since upgrading my home system to SP2 I can no longer print. I have a Canon MPC 400 and when the system boots I get an error message about a service MPServer (?) stopping. Canon have no answer, MS says the cable must be faulty :roll: I wouldnt think a service pack would break a cable.

:guns: :guns: :guns:

8. ALoLA

ALoLA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just get a Mac. :) I have to suffer with PCs at work, and we get problems like yours on a regular basis, so I feel your pain. Our IT guys have told us not to install any Microsoft updates. Naturally we're plagued with adware and spyware, even though many of us hardly get on the net. I took my old tangerine iMac to work so I'd have something to use when our Dells are down. So you can easily see why I have only Macs at home. Never had problems like that with my Macs. I ordered an iPod shuffle as well. :D

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Unfortunately, most of the proprietary services I subscribe to are not available for the Mac. And the Mac has vulnerabilities too. They are not exploited as often because the hackers go after market share. But worms for the Mac turn up from time to time.

Of course I should take Rick's advice and re-enable the programs one at a time to find the culprit.

I considered the option of not installing updates, but finally decided that that is more dangerous than installing them, due to all the vulnerabilities.

The best thing would be if I could just kick the computer habit entirely. Sigh! Anyway, for now all is running fine. Knock on wood.

10. jrmgkia

jrmgkia Wish I was cycling

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    There has never been ONE successful virus written for Mac OS X. I do tech support so I'm glad the word uses PC's, I'd be out of a job if everyone switched to Macs.

Bugs fly in through open Windows.

Jason Miller

11. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    And whos going to pay for it and all the required replacment software????

Of course, if your offering to buy me one... :D

12. pkjohna

pkjohna Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don't say that too loud...it sounds like a challenge. Nothing is invulnerable given enough motivation and resources.

The whole PC vs Mac debate is as bad as the political ones and just as in politics the truth usually lies somewhere between the extremes. I used Macs in a business environment for about two years and was singularly unimpressed. Mine crashed at least as often as any PC I've owned but I suspect that's because we were using MS software and I was regularly pushing the limits of both the Mac and the software.

13. snarfo

snarfo New Member

I support both Macs and PCs for my job and I'd have to say that on average we have far more problems with our Macs (a mix of OS 9.2.2 and 10.x) than PCs (almost all running XP Pro, but a few antiques running Win98). I really dislike the Mac OS and I've never been seduced by the pretty form-over-function interface.

That said, we deployed SP2 on about 1500 PCs and most of the upgrades went smoothly--- I must stress 'most'. We had a few fun upgrade disasters, but nothing irreparable. For my office computers and my computers at home, I just used the release of SP2 as an excuse to do a nice, tidy clean install from a slipstreamed XP Pro SP2 disc I made.

I have had zero problems with clean installs of slipstreamed XP SP2, and I've done probably 300 or so by now. All SP2 issues that have cropped up so far have been caused by messy or already-unstable systems--- excessive spyware was a culprit in a couple cases.

Remember, most viruses and spyware/malware is targeted at Windows systems not because the Mac OS is bulletproof--- it's done because Microsoft has a 93-ish% market share and these people want to damage or annoy the largest group of users they can.

Not trying to pimp for the evil empire, just adding a perspective from the other side of the fence! Hell, I'd be happiest if Commodore hadn't gone titsup and the Amiga was still alive--- now THERE was an OS ahead of its time! We old-timer computer geeks wax nostalgic about such things.

14. prius04

prius04 New Member

In 1980's the cost of PC = $4500
    In 2005 the cost of a PC thats about 10,000X faster = $750
    Why the plummet in price coinciding with the explosion in hardware? Free market competition.

In 1980's the cost of OS for PC = $10
    In 2005, the cost of OS for PC = $275 or so and it's still mostly based upon the 1980's OS.

Why the explosion in price while the software is really not much more than a tweak of the original OS? Can you spell M-O-N-O-P-O-L-Y?

In the last 25 years there have been numerous substantive software creations. (GUI, word processing, graphic manipulation, video manipulation, desktop publishing, Spread sheets, gaming.)
    Now MS does have an entry in all those software areas above, but did they invent any one of them?

I'm sure it's true that MS has invented something remarkable for the PC, but can anyone name one? It seems to me that MS is great at using the ideas of others, and tweaking those ideas to avoid copyright problems, and then winning dominance through clever marketing.

I'm with Daniel above. If ANYONE other than MS had won that initial OS contract, we would be talking to our computers by now and the keyboard would be an anacronism. And that would only be the beginning.

Who wants to invent a killer ap knowing that MS will more than likely pilfer it somehow and then build it into Windows. It's gotta be a damper.

15. SyZyGy

SyZyGy New Member

I had the same problem. There is a compatability problem with your motherboard and XP SP2. SP2 tries to use a module thats not supposed to be used improperly. I have a Alienware 51m. Its like 2 years old, so its not the newest one out. I set the computer to not restart when a error pops up(if you need help, tell me). I found out what kind of error it was and couldn't remove the object(software module), because it would majorly f up the computer. There is no solution to this error, unless your manfacturer sends you a newer motherboard, which won't happen, because the newer motherboard for my laptop won't fit in my case. So....You will have to delete partition, create partition, format, and install reinstall windows. When windows is on, turn automatic updates off, so you can manually update your computer. This is what is was doing all day thursday through friday. I was doing the procedure over and over testing out different methods and found out that the SP2 conflicts with my motherboard. I hope this helped all of you. :mrgreen:

16. snarfo

snarfo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius04\";p=\"63566)</div>
    I agree with most of what you say, to but imply that Windows XP is a 'tweak' of DOS is kinda funny. :)

It's just a shame that Linux is still not ready for prime time--- as a viable desktop replacement it has a long, long way to go.

I'm not sure where you get about $275.00 for an OS in 2005... If you have to buy windows XP, the pricing structure is close to:

$100.00 Home upgrade version
    $200.00 Home 'full' version
    $200.00 Pro upgrade version
    $300.00 Pro 'full' version

Presumably nobody really needs the 'full' version as long as they have an older Windows disc lying around to authenticate... and surely most people have a bunch of old Win9x or Win2k cds rotting in the closet.

17. GreenSteve

GreenSteve Web Hosting Provider

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is such a pleasure to read intelligent posts like this thread.

Now for my two cents.

Like many others I run Winders[sic] because I can get software that does what I want, but little by little the open source crowd is closing in on the Winders monopoly.

I have a two prong strategy:

I religiously backup my Winders PCs, either to an external USB or Firewire drive, or to my luxurious rack-mounted Linux file server in the garage next to our Prius. I highly recommend Acronis True Image, because it creates a sector by sector image of any PC hard drive running any PC OS. It functions much like Norton Ghost, but without the dreadful user interface that is mandatory on all Norton crap.

When I really need to do some serious computing on a desktop PC, I'll usually boot up either SuSE 9.1 or Xandros 3.0 Deluxe. For example, I might need to make a secure connection to one of my many web servers (all of which run Red Hat because it is the best server software for websites). So I can start up a little 1024 by 768 Xandros window on my bogus Winders XP box using Microsoft Virtual PC. This allows me to SSH to the desired server.

Of course it is also dead easy to make any PC dual boot with one Microsoft OS and one Linux distro.

For those considering the jump to Linux, you can just dip a toe in by using a dual boot setup.

And if you are considering a Linux distribution for desktop use, Xandros 3.0 Deluxe lets you install and use certain Winders programs directly under Linux. Most important to me is the fact that Macromedia Dreamweaver is supported, and very well too.

On my Winders boxes, I did a complete backup of each XP computer using Acronis True Image before applying SP2. I've had better luck than Daniel, perhaps because I had a backup ready?

Steve

18. prius04

prius04 New Member

snarfo,
    I guess I overstated it a bit but when you compare the change in hardware to the change is software, one is truly revolutionary so by comparison, one might be tempted to call the second one a "tweak".
    Wasn't the original 8088's speed around 1 megahertz, and now we are breaking 4000 megahertz? And the original RAM was 612 kb and now it's 512,000 kb and even up to 2 million kb?
    And as for prices, Windows xp is now 3 years old so maybe I have my prices wrong, but I could have sworn that the last time I checked at places like Best Buy, the price was closer to $300.

I'd still like to hear from those who can cite a software invention that came out of MS, and not just an adaptation of someone's else's creation. I'm sure there is something.

19. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I often read about how MS makes lousy products, how they copy instead of innovate, how they squeeze out the competition, etc., etc. Do you know why? Because it makes them money--mountains of it. They've created a system where people give them lots of money without getting much value in return.

Whose fault is it? I think it's primarily the consumers for letting themselves be taken advantage of. Why should MS change if their strategy works so well? The only way to make them change is to stop buying their stuff. If you keep financing them then you're part of the problem.

Fortunately there are good alternatives, as have been mentioned in this topic. You can make the world a better place and make your life better at the same time if you just say no.

20. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius04\";p=\"63592)</div>
    I do believe that the best software invention that ever came out of MS was BOB. :p :p :p :tongue:

http://toastytech.com/guis/bob.html