1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Xzilon and Scratches

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by SalixIncendium, Mar 26, 2013.

1. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium Tree Hugging Environmentalist Wacko

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I dropped my brand new Nautical Blue Metallic Three off at the dealership last night after taking delivery last Wednesday to have a rear bumper applique and Xzilon applied. I arrived at the dealership shortly after 7pm to find my new car waiting for me in the delivery bay. After transferring my belongings from the loaner, I do a walk-around to inspect the job and as I pass under a light, I catch a glimpse of whirl scratches on the hood. I scrutinize the finish more closely and find these scratches covering the entire surface of the car. I know for a fact (I blame my OCD) that these scratches were not there when I took delivery.

I bring this to the sales manager's attention and get the song and dance about how all new cars have these "light" scratches in the finish. I challenge him to find me another with the same magnitude and of course, he cannot. He tells me he will talk to his body guy in the morning and see if he can get the scratches out, but he explains that they will have to use a solvent to remove the Xzilon to get to the scratches to remove them.

A brand new car that needs a solvent to remove a finish coating just so they can strip off some of the clear coat to remove the scratches?? At this point, I told him I don't even want the car anymore. He told me that he would contact the credit union to see if the contract has been finalized and to see if it is possible to get a change of collateral and have his body man work on the car and if I wasn't pleased with the results, he'd seek out a dealer trade, since he doesn't have the same car on the lot. I told him that I'd be happy with either the Nautical Blue or Blizzard White (which he does have in stock) and that I just don't want the car with a ruined finish. He had me keep the loaner and will get back to me late morning tomorrow.

I love the car, but I know every time would drive it, I would think about the finish, that is permanently ruined in my eyes. Anyone every had to deal with a similar situation? If not, what would you do if you were in such a quandry? If I get a replacement, would you let them mess with the finish and try to apply Xzilon again?

2. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wouldn't let those guys touch my car again. If you want to keep the car, you are better off getting a real professional detailer to work on the car. The should be able to work them out and leave you with a much better finish. I would pass on the dealer installed sealants. It is mostly profit for these guys as the people putting it on aren't too concerned (as you have learned) about your car.

Caveat emptor...here's a good forum on car detailing and some posts about xzilon:
    Have you ever heard of XZILON sealant/protection ? - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

New Jeep has Xzilon protectant on it - what to use from now on? - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

Does anyone have experience with Xzilon? - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum

SalixIncendium likes this.
  3. SalixIncendium

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The dealer called this morning. The sales manager tells me that after further investigation, there was something on the microfiber cloth used to apply the Xzilon.

He is replacing the car with the exact same model and doing a dealer trade with another dealership 40 miles away. This one will be white blizzard pearl instead of nautical blue metallic, which is fine because I was on the fence between the two colors when I first picked up the car, but opted for the blue because of the white upcharge. I was partial to the white anyway since the Corolla I traded in was nautical blue metallic (even more so now because it is better at hiding scratches [and dirt]).

I'm actually quite pleased by the solution, because with my OCD, I know the only thing I'd think about getting behind the wheel of the damaged one is how the finish would never be in its new pristine condition.

I'm picking up the replacement car tomorrow at 5pm. He told me that he could have the Xzilon applied before delivery. I replied, "I don't think I'll be electing to put Xzilon on this one." He didn't offer a rebuttal.

4. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good choice!!!

5. SalixIncendium

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I see you're from Cincinnati. My dealership is trading with Kings Toyota down your way.

6. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That was one of the many that I shopped when I was out looking. Where are you from?

7. SalixIncendium

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I just moved to the Dayton area from PA about 2 months ago.

ETA: I really need to learn how to use the quote function on this software.

8. mrstop

mrstop PWR Mode

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome to Ohio! Are you going to tackle the maiden detail on your own, or have someone do it for you?

P.S. Make sure you visit the Air Force museum. It's free and quite impressive. Also, if you need any electronic or audio parts, Parts Express is a great local asset.

9. SalixIncendium

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks. If I can catch a break with the weather (and get some down time from work at the same time), I may do it on my own, but if not, I may seek out a reputable detail shop.

I've told by many to check out the AF museum. I haven't gotten a chance to get there yet, but am looking forward to it, as I am an AF vet myself.

10. Wayward

Wayward Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow then you have to go there, I haven't been there in wow almost 30 years now, but I still remember how much I liked it. Of course I am on the opposite side of the country which is the only reason it has been so long since I went.
    So much history to see there, so many planes etc. make the time you will realize it was worth it.

As far as doing it yourself etc... I wouldn't trust the dealership to do that type of stuff either, I love my dealership and have bought 5 cars from them in the past 4 years, but unless it's a straight toyota part they don't do it.

11. SalixIncendium

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Picked up my new Prius today...

[​IMG]

Xzilon won't be allowed anywhere near it.

When they delivered my new car, they showed me the culprit of the scratches. Apparently, a car that previously went through the car wash had the tip of the roof antenna ripped of, taking the wiring inside with it. It got caught in the cloth rollers and what was to be my car was lucky enough to be the next one through. No way they didn't see the scratches on it when it came out. My guess is they tried to repair it before I picked it up and they failed epically.

They did make it right though. I got the blizzard pearl ($395 upcharge) for the same price they were charging me for the nautical blue. I'm actually paying less for this car after backing out the xzilon. Also, this car has significantly less miles on it than the other (this one had 30, the other had 340). Attempted deception aside (you'd never expect that from a car dealer, right?), they did right by me. I'd buy there again (and never let them touch the paint job).

Koko likes this.
  12. Eugene Hong

Eugene Hong Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When I bring my car in for maintenance I specifically ask them to not wash my car. Even if its brushless, high pressure water can still ruin the cars finish.

13. batsai

batsai Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ditto on NOT letting the dealer 'wash' the car. It's nice they offer the service, but those brush washes are a swirling torture chamber of death for your paint. I'd rather do it myself and do it right.

Ditto on visiting the Air Force museum! It is amazing- glad to see another Daytonian on these forums!

iPhone ?

14. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Agreed.