1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yakima bar lengths and kayak tie down

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Sambucadog, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Sambucadog

Sambucadog New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I had no luck in getting a used rack system, so I'm going new. What size bars are people using for a Yakima Q-tower set-up? The Yakima site says 58" but that seems like it would hang dangerously over the edge. I only want to carry one kayak. Anyone use the 48" bars?

Also, how are people doing bow and stern tie-downs? My Rav 4 had nice hooks underneath.

Monica

2. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Monica
    The bars have to be cut to length when you install .Mine are cut at 54".
    Cheers:
    Hal

3. Solar Steve

Solar Steve New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Monica
    We used to have a 2007 Prius with Yakima bars and tied down 15 ft kayak and traveled all over with it no problem. Easy tie downs on the front and rear, left adn right under the bumper using tow hooks. But with our new Gen 3 2011 Prius, there are NO front tie downs. How are you tying down your stern. They strongly recommend a 2-point V tie down (left and right). I can't find anyplace to attach the S hook.

Steve

4. Widget

Widget Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You need hood loops:
    Seattle Sports Hood Loops at REI.com

I had a hitch installed on the back & use that for the rear tie downs - but there were rear tow hooks as I recall (removed them to put on the hitch)
    [​IMG]