1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ya'll saved me a lot of trouble.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by fredr500, Jun 21, 2004.

1. fredr500

fredr500 Junior Member

Took my #8 Silver in for a 5,000 mile service to the dealer I bought the car from.

I remembered to specify 5W30 and 3.9 qts, had them write it on the order. Also had them rotate the tires and program a 3rd key fob.

When the ticket came out it mentioned that they adjusted tire pressure. I had them call the kid that did the tires and asked what pressure he put in. He said "Exactly 32 lbs each." I took him out and showed him the plate on he driver's door. He sheepishly agreed to fix it.

I then asked him what kind of oil and how much. He said 5W30, 3.9 quarts just like it said on the ticket. I asked what he would have used if it hadn't said that on the ticket - his response was as expected, "4 quarts of 10W30."

So thanks. Reading all about it here saved me some hassle.

BTW, they also did the 40D recall. Entire process took over 5 hours! Most of the time was programming the key fob, they'd never done it before, but over 2 hours was the recall because they'd never done it before either.

Certified service tech and the service manager couldn't program the key. I finally went out to see what was taking so long and since I knew from here there were 3 separate parts to doing it was able to figure it out even though I'd never used their computer before. They also gave me the fob back without cutting the key then tried to explain that I didn't really need it cut. They did finally cut it.

Cashier messed up also and ran my visa for $3274.53 (ticket number) instead of the $51. Had to run two credits to get the total right, then ran the card through for the $51.

Service manager agreed that if he was treated the way I was he'd never go back. Gave me the entire service (5K and programming the key) free plus 2 more free oil changes.

While waiting at the end I saw the general sales manager and let him know about their problems too.

So PriusChat saved me getting too much of the wrong oil, and enabled me to get my fob programmed correctly. Even if I did waste from 9 to 3 on Saturday.

Thank you!

Fred

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Sheesh you got a lot more patience than I would ever have. That kind of stuff sends a letter to Toyota Headquarters from me.

3. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a question. You have a package 8, so you must have the SE & SS feature. On the back of one of your ORIGINAL fobs, the color of the Toyota emblem should me silver. If you have a Prius with out SE and SS then it should be Gold. Does your new Fob also work with the SE & SS, and is the emblem silver too? Thanks, and sorry for your trouble.

4. fredr500

fredr500 Junior Member

Brian,

Sorry for the delay, yes the new fob has a silver emblem and works with SS/SE after I showed the dealer how to program it.

Fred

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have made a collection of PriusChat materials to help keep me out of trouble and know what to do when the dealer causes trouble. I was at the dealer last week and in regular conversation about Prii the Sales Rep. confessed that I know more about the car than he does and probably more than their tech. Yeah, that sort of scared me.

Even though my Prius is still months away, I'm going to take this opportunity to throw out a preemtive thanks to all the people who have shared experiences, problems, and solutions. There is no doubt in my mind that many other problems have been avoided or eased due to the information and suggestions on this board.