1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yaris - Available Spring 2006

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Catskillguy, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

http://www.toyota.com/images/vehicles/futu...ressrelease.pdf

Interesting car... If it's the same dimensions as the U.K. version, very comparable interior room to Prius (except rear legroom. These are conversions from UK MM to inches.

The press release talsk about 34 City, 40 highway. Doesn't say if it's for the manual or automatic.

Base price very low, but it sounds like it's ala carte pricing. I get the feeling equipped the pricing will by very Scion like.
    B)
    Yaris Prius
    Length 147.6 175
    Width 66.7 67.9
    Height 59.8 58.1
    Front Head 39.4 39.1
    Front Leg 41.2 41.9
    Rear Head 37.9 37.1
    Rear Leg 34 38.6

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

www.toyota.ca/ for the north American version been available here in Canada for a couple of months now. Basically and Echo hatchback (avilalable in Canada for years) with a new nose. European Echo basically.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, if you ever cross the border before the US launch, drop by a dealership and get a preview. It's very roomy

4. s1059197

s1059197 Junior Member

I rented a car in Ireland a few years ago, and wound up with a Yaris. I had never heard of it before, but I enjoyed driving it. The interior felt a little odd to me, but a lot of that probably had to do with the fact that the steering wheel was on the wrong side. :)

I remember being stunned by how good my gas mileage was. I can't tell you exactly what I got, but I drove from Dublin to the west coast and back, and the gauge barely budged. I'd take my Prius any day, but this will be an exciting, economic option for a lot of people.

Phil
    Dayton, OH

5. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    You won't get that good mileage though, as it's only being offered in America with a 1.5 litre engine (boggle!). Over here, only the "Sport" variant had a 1.5 litre engine, and the new version of that hasn't actually been released yet.

The one you drove in Ireland would probably have been either 1.3 litre petrol or 1.4 litre diesel. (1.0 litre is also available - now a 3-cylinder engine in the new Yaris).

Presumably Toyota USA's marketing people are convinced Americans need lots of excess power...

6. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    For reference, the UK combined mpg figures are

1.0 manual 52.3 (=43.6 US)
    1.4 diesel manual/MMT 62.8 (=52.3 US)
    1.3 manual 47.1 (=39.2 US)
    1.3 MMT 48.7 (=40.6 US)

1.5 manual (previous version) 41.5 (=34.6 US)

7. s1059197

s1059197 Junior Member

That's a shame. I know the one I drove wasn't a diesel, so it must have been the 1.3 L.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Our new Yaris gets between 6-7L/100km

9. highlander1010

highlander1010 New Member

I have had the chance to see the Yaris and see a "suped up" (i.e. modified with a body kit) version of it in the SoCal area and I must say that I am very impressed. It is almost like a smaller version of a GTI. Not so much for style, but for size and feel. If the sporty "S" version has enough HP it could turn out to be a real "fun to drive" econo car for Toyota. B)

10. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Does VW have a Yaris also? I was listening to newsradio this morning (Los Angeles/Orange County: KNX1070) and they were talking with a guy at a Detroit-area radio station whose name is Jeff Gilbert and were discussing the Detroit Auto Show. He mentioned some new automakers (Chery being one) and new vehicles from existing automakers. He mentioned the Volkswagon Yaris as being an innovative model for the compact car segment.

Was he just confusing his brands/makes or does VW have a Yaris too?? :huh:

11. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

The Yaris started selling in Puerto Rico three months ago and it's doing very well. Only the basic version is imported here, meaning that it has wheel covers and manual windows, thus making it about $2000 cheaper than the Scion xA (which also has antiskid control and antilock brakes). The only options here are manual or automatic transmission (an extra $1000). Rear legroom is quite limited because the car is quite small. The Yaris is very good looking and offers excellent fuel economy, but I'm past the age for manual windows.

12. highlander1010

highlander1010 New Member

He was confused. Toyota has the Yaris. VW has a lot of crappy cars. (Trust me, I've owned 2).