1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yaris Hybrid Fuel Economy: 80.7mpg Euro cycle

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by PriQ, Feb 24, 2012.

1. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Finally, Toyota seems to have released its Euro cycle fuel economy numbers for the Yaris Hybrid (The car Europe gets instead of Toyota Aqua/Prius C).

3 news sources:

http://www.ecoautoninja.com/eco-hyb...he-affordable-2012-toyota-yaris-hybrid-95620/

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/...-performance-with-most-affordable-hybrid.html

http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/toyota-yaris-hybrid-price-confirmed

"80.7mpg" (Imperial gallons) comes from the Euro cycle rating in l/100km of 3.5 for the combined cycle (I have not found urban and extra urban figures yet).
    The 80.7mpg is in line with what could be expected when Prius is rated at 72mpg and Auris Hybrid (and Lexus CT200h) are rated at 74mpg.

The landscape in Europe will thus be (in l/100km):
    Kia Rio 1.1 diesel: 3.2
    Smart diesel: 3.3
    VW Polo 1,2 TDI BlueMotion diesel: 3.3
    Citroën C3 e-HDi diesel: 3.4
    Peugeot 208 1,4 e-HDi ESG diesel: 3.4
    Seat Ibiza 1,2 TDI diesel: 3.4
    Skoda Fabia 1,2 TDI GreenLine diesel: 3.4
    Alfa Romeo MiTo 1,3 JTDM diesel: 3.5
    Fiat Punto 1,3 MJT diesel: 3.5
    Opel Corsa 1,3 CDTI EcoFlex diesel: 3.5
    Toyota Yaris Hybrid 3.5

So Yaris hybrid will be the most fuel efficient non-diesel, and it will be competitive in power and equipment. But will Toyota be able to persuade Europeans with superior emissions, urban fuel economy and reliability?

2 people like this.
  2. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Since it is planned to be built in France - the answer may be yes.
    Note the Auris HSD (England) success compared to Prius (Japan).

Is there a waiting list for Auris HSD in some European countries? In Israel you have to wait 2-3 months due to allocations.

3. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Bring the Yaris Hybrid to the U.S.! Give consumers more choice! Some will buy the Prius c, some will buy the Yaris HSD, but one way or another Toyota is selling cars. Some people may like the c but not the Yaris, some may like the Yaris but not the c. Great. Grab every customer away from the competition that you can. :)

4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    European auto market is a mess right now, with lots of over capacity. I'm not sure what the advantages of a yaris hybrid over a prius c are? Does anyone know?

My guess is it is price and for europeans local production.I doubt toyota can actually supply the yaris hybrid to NA at a lower cost than the prius c. If they can they should ship some over.
    http://www.hybridcarblog.com/the-toyota-auris-hybrid-and-prius-sales/

5. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The Prius C slot is taken by the Auris hsd. The Auris is popular as it has all the benefits of the Prius without making the 'statement' the Prius does. I'm affraid all the Hollywood stars using it in a cynical and hypocritical manner 8 years ago didn't do its image much good over here.

I also believe the type approval for vehicles is getting more and more expensive which would make it unviable to bring in yet another model such as the C. A similar problem exists here already with the many Japanese only models that could sell well here in reasonable numbers other than for the expensive type approval costs. Also, in the big markets of France and Germany their own manufacturers have a virtual monopoly.

6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    European combined rating favors diesels because urban (city) contributes 45% while extra urban (highway) contributes 55%.

In the US, it is reverse with 55% city and 45% highway.

1 person likes this.
  7. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I was thinking aesthetics. Toyota has sold THOUSANDS of Yaris (plural; Yarii? Lol). Obviously, the general public likes the looks of the Yaris. Yes, it will cost more than the c, but the Scion tc isn't exactly inexpensive either and they've sold well. I think Toyota should send a few shipments of Yaris Hybrids over here as a pilot, price them as they need to, put them in the dealer showrooms next to the Prius c, and see what American consumers think.

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Is the Yaris hybrid really a different car, or is it really an Auris/Prius c? Looks to me it's the same car. Maybe with different "dressing". I can't see Toyota making a special car for the small European market. I CAN see them disguising it to -appear- different.

9. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes they are all different. The auris is a corolla hatchback, so its a little smaller than the prius. The prius c/Aqua is on yaris platform, but with a stretched wheel base with different everything else. I'm sure someone can pop up the numbers of passenger and cargo area.

Toyota said they were going to make a hybrid version of every car. THe yaris hybrid is going to be made in europe and I'm guessing it will be cheaper there than the prius c. Since the prius c is close to the size of the auris hybrid - according to GC - it may not make sense for the dealers to stock all 4 prius, auris hybrid, prius c, yaris hybrid.

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Is that actually so? Or is it, "Boy that thing is fugly, but it has good fuel economy, is cheap, and not an Aveo"?

11. PriQ

PriQ CT+iQ

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Fugly? The standard Yaris is quite possibly the most crowd pleasing annonymous conservatively styled new car since the new Polo! Even the new Lexus ES is more daring!

The hybrid does seem to bring some nice styling along. It genuinely seems to be the most exciting Toyota could possibly have done with the Yaris.

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The new design is a step up for the previous gen, but that's the one I'm still seeing. I'd personally get a high mileage Echo before the first gen Yaris. It's something about that rounded nose. I didn't like it on the old Camary, but it's worse on the squatter Yaris.

13. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    i've got to say the new yaris is not fugly, but its not pretty or exciting either. Its a step up from the old one. It says - "its a car":D I don't think anyone will buy one because of the looks, nor will they walk away. I'm sure some buy the prius because of its looks, and others reject the
    prius because of the looks. I'm sure the aqua sales in japan will make yaris hybrid sales in europe look like a footnote, but.... hopefully the yaris hybrid is unoffensive and cheap enough to grow the hybrid market share over there.

14. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Main point here is local European production, so cheaper not just because of Yen but also due to no customs.

I also think Yaris Hybrid is pretty hansome vehicle in the class, with this below being production version:

[​IMG]

But, main thing - pricing will be at the level or below of Yaris Diesel. Which is the main point here. Auris Hybrid for instance is priced 30% above diesel version. I estimate that Yaris Hybrid will be able to double Toyota hybrid sales in Europe. In 2013, it should sell at last 60k-80k units at those prices.

15. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

of course, Yaris 1.4 D4D is probably most expensive diesel in European market, so Yaris Hybrid wont be cheap, but certainly it will be competitive... they did well do dress it up with LEDs and nice grille, so it looks like more expensive car as well.

16. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Info is out at Toyota UK

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

Very nice base specs:
    New Toyota Yaris HSD | Toyota UK

At the price for "base", it is cheaper and better equipped than Yaris Diesel, and I even specced lower end diesel option.

18. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Although the above photos appear to be a glass roof, it makes me wonder if a solar roof will be an option on the Yaris Hybrid, Prius c, or Prius v, or even the Camry hybrid. What about Lexus hybrids?

19. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

it is resin roof, like on normal yaris... i think some NA Toyota has it as well, it is 65% lighter than normal glass roof.

20. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The U.S. is an SUV-crazy country. Americans like big. Big cars, big houses.

You pull into a parking lot, the car to right is an SUV. The car to your left is probably an SUV.

I had a Jeep Liberty SUV before my Prius--and I liked it. I love the visibility up high.
    And you get a feeling of safety with the size--especially on the highway with all the trucks.
    That's probably why so many women drive SUVs.

The main problem with SUVs is they get low gas mileage. Mostly because of drag--they are boxy. The current hybrid SUVs are Ford Escape and the Lexus 450H. The Escape is OK, but weak in power and can't pull anything. The Lexus is very fast and gets good gas mileage--if you drive it conservatively. It's probably the best hybrid SUV. But it's very expensive--around $50K. The Toyota highlander hybrid is about the same in performance and cost--really the same SUV as the Lexus.

There is a U.S. market for hybrid SUVs that have both power and gas mileage, and don't cost a fortune. An Escape with some power. This is what the country needs. People here are addicted to SUVs, and there should be more hybrid SUVs made available in the 25-30K price range.

100 mpg Yarises are fine in Europe, but Americans like bigger cars. Toyota needs to market a RAV-sized hybrid SUV that is cheaper than the Highlander, and gets better gas mileage--with some zip. Or maybe a Prius SUV built on a crossover platform.