1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

YATT (Yet Another Tire Thread?)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Robbert, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Robbert

Robbert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Everyone,

My first post (I believe) on this site. I've been lurking here for the last year and a half or so and got my 2006 Prius on Jan. 2nd of this year! Very happy with the car, but I definitely noticed the instability on the highway and other handling issues that people talk to on here.

A week ago or so I noticed a slow leak in one of my tires. I had it fixed, but it started leaking again a few days later. It was leaking around the rim somewhere according to the tire place I had the tires fixed at. Of course, reading the forums on here I was intrigued by the possibility of replacing the stock Integrity tires with something else. So I went to BJ's to ask about the Michelin MXV4+ tires. I really wanted to upgrade to a slightly wider tire (195 versus the stock 185) to improve handling. To my surprise... BJ's would NOT sell anything else than manufacturer specified tires. Has anyone run into this before? A little disappointed I called around a bit more, and found out that other places didn't have such a problem with non-mfg. specified tires.

After some more reading on here and other places on the net, I finally decided on the Goodyear TripleTread. Mainly because I wanted better snow traction here in NH for the upcoming winter. I've only had the tires on my car for a couple of days. But... WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! The handling is so much improved it feels like I'm driving a different car! It doesn't seem to lean in corners as much as it used to and seems much more stable in general. I ended up going with the 195/60R15 tire size, so my speedometer is about 0.9% off, but I can live with that. ;) Only downside is that there is definitely more road noise from these tires. Not excessively so, but definitely noticeable.... I can't wait to see how they perform in the winter!

--
    Robbert

2. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Robbert @ Oct 18 2006, 03:13 PM) [snapback]334646[/snapback]</div>
    Some places just plain wont sell tires other than the manufacturer's speed rating and size for liability reasons.

3. Robbert

Robbert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Oct 18 2006, 03:17 PM) [snapback]334649[/snapback]</div>
    Right.. Unfortunately BJ's was the cheapest for the tires I was initially looking for... I ended up with the Goodyears after all, and not the Michelins, so for me it was a moot point. I was just surprised that they were so strict about it..

--
    Robbert

4. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Robbert @ Oct 18 2006, 02:13 PM) [snapback]334646[/snapback]</div>
    Have you reset the MFD to new tires? I think it is in the maintenance section but i could be wrong.

5. Robbert

Robbert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orf @ Oct 18 2006, 09:22 PM) [snapback]334879[/snapback]</div>
    No, I haven't... I didn't know that is something I had to do?? I don't have the NAV option on my Prius though, and I have read something about resetting it for the NAV, is that what you're getting at?

Thanks!
    Robbert

6. clack1

clack1 New Member

I just put new sneakers on my babe yesterday and had the same eureka experience! wonder what took us so long to have faith in those who've gone before us!
    Enjoy!!

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Robbert @ Oct 18 2006, 12:31 PM) [snapback]334656[/snapback]</div>
    I had the same experience at COSTCO in Kennewick, WA until the sales person remembered he had an alternate size book. It lists all the tire sizes approved by the vehicle manufacturer for each car. Listed for the Prius, in addition to the 185/65-15 was 205/60-15, 195/55-16, and 215/45-17. As to the speed rating as long as it is as high or higher it should be fine, going to H rated tires on the Prius is OK, I use them, but they usually weigh a bit more.

I wouldn't be to disappointed about not getting the MXV4 Michelins, I had a set of them on my Honda Accord. I replaced them with Bridgestone Potenza RE92s and the Bridgestones were just as good as far a gas mileage is concerned and better at everything else except wear. I don't know if that would hold true for the Prius of course.

8. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Oct 19 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]335191[/snapback]</div>
    Why wouldn't 195/60/15 be acceptable?

9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Oct 19 2006, 12:20 PM) [snapback]335207[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sure they would be but it was not in COSTCOs book. At least he told me it was not, I didn't actually look at the book just took his word for it. I did write down the sizes he told me so I'm sure of that anyway. :unsure: I didn't press him on it because I was interested in 205/60-15s.

I Just looked at the revs per mile of 195/60-15s at Tire Rack, looks like most of them are just as close as the 205/60-15s. They just tend to be a bit smaller rather than larger of course.