1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yay me!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by marjflowers, Jan 5, 2007.

1. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In November, I had what may have been a ministroke, and that was a real wake-up call for me. I had the whole battery of tests, and everything was okay except my cholesterol. And the fact that I am overweight. My mother had three or four strokes and numerous heart attacks, so my family history sucks!

Anyway, my diet used to be atrocious -- fast food and delivery(pizza, Chinese, and greasy steak), and cookies. Basically, whatever was easy.

I'm still very lazy about cooking/feeding myself, but I discovered it is just as easy to keep oatmeal and skim milk in the house as it is diet coke, which I've always managed to do.

So now, I eat oatmeal w/ skim milk and Nutrasweet twice a day, and all the fruit I want. I have one meal that is low fat, no trans fats, etc. Often I'm out, so I just try to be reasonable. And Subway with their 8 sandwiches w/6 grams of fat or less has kept me from ditching drive-thru windows completely. In short, I've tried to change my diet radically without making major sacrifices in lifestyle.

Also, I started walking. I have COPD from 30 years of smoking (I quit 2 years ago), and it is amazing to me that I have worked up to being able to walk a little over 1 hour without stopping or becoming too winded.

Result -- I've lost 19 pounds since December 1. Although I'm doing all this to avoid having a stroke and not about losing weight, weight loss is inevitable, and now that I can see results, is actually fun! I cannot wait to have my cholesterol checked again -- it's bound to have improved.

The trick for me is not thinking of this as a "diet," which implies to me that it will have an end, but rather as a new, healthy way to live. I'm very motivated, and when I feel my will weakening, all I have to do is remind myself of the consequences of a stroke. I wouldn't mind dying of a stroke, but I certainly don't want to survive one: relearn to walk, talk, feed myself, etc. Yep, that's very motivating!

Peace --

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Congratulations, and good luck on continued progress.

3. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I'm glad you posted your success. I was just thinking of you the other day and wondering how you were doing with your newfound healthiness!

What a great way to ring in the New Year, eh? Of course, when the clothes get baggy, it really sucks to have to go shopping... :)

4. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Way to go Marj!!! Keep up the good work and keep the good news rollin' in!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hey, congratulations! :D keep it up, i'm sure you're feeling better than before in many ways!

6. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How do you feel? Are you sleeping more soundly, do you have more energy, more clarity of thought, is your overall mood better??????? I'm just curious if such a change of lifestyle actually does what I believe it can do.

It's wonderful that you've listened to your body and that you care about yourself that much. My dad had heart surgery and while in the hospital stated that he was going to really change things and when he was released, he went back to his old tricks.

Keep up the great work. I'm very happy for you and your loved ones. Don't get too down if your cholesterol doesn't shape up. I'm a 20 year vegetarian and my cholesterol is 220. I hardly ever have dairy so this is what's churned out by my liver. The good thing is that my good cholesterol is so high that they say there's no reason to be on drugs. If nothing else, maybe the composition of your cholesterol will be altered in such a way.

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yay! That's an inspiration.

I've had problems with high blood pressure/hypertension from my job for quite some time now. Four years ago, I suffered what turned out to be a severe panic attack (but brought me to the emergency room feeling an awfully, awfully lot like a heart attack).

So I went back to the gym and ate healthy...for a while.

Your post reminds me that it's time to re-focus on what's good for my body. And not just because the doctor told me so.

Thank you!!
    [smile]

8. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Jan 5 2007, 12:51 PM) [snapback]371362[/snapback]</div>

9. marjflowers

marjflowers New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Jan 5 2007, 12:51 PM) [snapback]371362[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I have noticed subtle differences in the way I feel. My sleep is still very irregular, but I am sleeping more. As far as energy goes, I have as much as I need. In other words, if I have things to do, i can do them more easily, but if I have nothing to do, I'm perfectly content to do nothing. It's easier some days than others to force myself to walk, because truthfully, I do NOT enjoy it. But I do like the sense of accomplishment when I'm done. Today I was having problems with the motivation thing, so I made a date with a friend to walk at 4:00. Whatever it takes!

The greatest difference is in my depression, or rather, lack of it. I don't know how much can be attributed to lifestyle change and how much is due to better choices regarding spending time with my family over the holiday, but this is the first January in 3 years that I haven't been hospitalized due to depression. I've been able to stop one of my psych medications with no problem, and I'm feeling great. 2005 was a lousy year for mental health, but this year promises to be better. So I see no need to tamper with success!

Probably the biggest difference in the way I feel is a big difference in my sense of self worth. This is new for me, and I like it! This is the first time in my life that I have actively taken care of myself, and the more I do it, the more worthwhile I feel.

Peace --

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ Jan 5 2007, 03:28 PM) [snapback]371390[/snapback]</div>
    Excellent, Marj! Keep those posi-trons flowing! You've discovered the fountain of youth, also known as diet and exercise. :)

11. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ Jan 5 2007, 03:28 PM) [snapback]371390[/snapback]</div>
    I think that the longer you care for yourself in this fashion, the better you'll continue to feel and the more soundly you'll sleep. That's a guess but I seems logical to me.

Also, I want you to be aware that you'll probably hit a wall with your weight loss. The first pounds come off relatively easy and then they get harder and harder to drop. You may want to start incorporating light weights into your workout routine. If you do this, ditch the scale as muscle weighs more than fat. Weights will reshape your body and you'll burn more calories when sedentary, the more muscle you have. That's a big extra bonus. Plus, weights are great for preventing osteoperosis. Be careful. You can really hurt yourself with improper form so you best find someone who really knows what they're doing.

Keep on keepin' on.....................

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(marjflowers @ Jan 5 2007, 11:28 AM) [snapback]371390[/snapback]</div>
    Jogging did that for me. Exercise definitely improves the mood. Keep up the good work! You have the right attitude: it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle change.

13. AuntBee

AuntBee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Don't laugh but I think the Prius has healing powers. And, it definitely makes me feel younger when I drive it. Seriously, many congratulations on your successes, Marj! Your hard work and determination to get your vitality back is truly inspiring.

Thanks for sharing,
    B.

14. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Marjorie,
    Yay, you, indeed! Very good. I've been exercising, both aerobic and anaerobic, for years. The major benefit for me is psychological. I have noticed that if I fall out of my routine, I tend to feel guilty, and then get caught in a negative feedback loop... If you fall out of your routine, be easy on yourself. Every day is a new day, and a great opportunity to move forward. Congratulations.