1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yellow ((!)), ABS and VSC light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by VerroV, Feb 14, 2022.

1. VerroV

VerroV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok... so there are many things wrong with my Prius 2007. It has been to the repair shop once a month since I got it in June 2021. On Saturday while I was out driving the Yellows ((!)), ABS and VSC light came up! But after stopping the car for a little bit as I headed in to a store the lights went away. So I started driving home, but after about 10 minutes the lights came on again. This time they didnt go away after I turned off and on the car. On Sunday I though I'd move the car somewhere safer because of snow warning the next day, and I was parked at a hill. Then after driving 2 minutes the lights went away again...

Prior to this the gliders for the calipers in the back has been changed, also breakpads and rotors in the back. Front breakpads were changed right before Christmas, as one of them had snapped in two... previous owner had installed wrong breakpads. Also, last week I had to park on the side of the road, and there was a little pile of snow on the ground there, which ended up being to tall for ny prius, so it scraped the underside innfront of my car. As this happend part of the splashboard? (Plastic) under the car was broken off. Have been without it for one week now cause I havent had time to fix it yet. Could this be what causes the lights to come off? Brake fluid is not low. What else can I check? I'm very low on money because of all the repairs that I already have had to get done on my car since summer.. so is there anything I can do/check myself before heving to take it to the repair shop again?

2. VerroV

VerroV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got a scanner... no brake codes. But got the code P0016. Worried to drive the car now, in case of chain breaking

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you're lucky, you tore up the vsc connections. a thorough inspection of the harnesses and connectors will be needed.
    if not, you will have to read the trouble codes to determine the problem. could be the brake actuator, but hopefully not. might just be a speed sensor or other brake issue like a caliper/ slide pins, etc.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If it were me, I would read the trouble codes first, and then I would look at wheel sensors, etc., if those were what I had codes for. (As a bonus, if you have a code for a wheel sensor, it will tell you which wheel sensor to go look at.)

If you don't have a scan tool that successfully retrieves those codes for you, there is always the method where you use a short wire between pins Tc and CG of the car's diagnostic port, then turn the car ON and count the blinks of the dash lights. Other posts you can find (by searching on those terms) have more details.

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You "got a scanner" that likely is not capable of reading ABS codes on a Prius. ChapmanF has the right suggestion, use the search function to learn about "flash codes". If there is a fault with the engine (ICE), then I would at least expect that there are codes in the ABS and VSC that say "hey, the ECM says it has a problem- go look over there" and "by the way, we're going to disable regenerative braking for now".

Now IF the P0016 is correct, then there is some kind of problem with the engine's cam timing system. It could be as the service manual indicates (ie, a problem with chain stretch and/or jumped time). Or I have seen that code when the oil control valve stuck and fully advanced the VVT all the time. (should have set a different code but didn't). You will need to have the engine looked at by a competent technician- not a "read the code and sell a timing chain" guy.

Good luck.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

6. VerroV

VerroV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you all for your help and suggestions! Will try some of the things in a few hours.

7. VerroV

VerroV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok so I fought the crankshaft position sensor for many hours yesterday, it did not want to come loose more than 1 cm... Before I started messing around with it I reset the diagnostic code. After I set everything back on place I went to a mechanic I know who scanned the whole car properly (about 20 minutes drive away from where I had been working). He found many codes, but the P0016 was gone. B1421 aircon, c2318 gear box, and c0200 ABS front right side. After he tried reseting those codes B1412 was the only one that didn´t go away. I´m not too concerned about the aircon code. But the other codes including the P0016 that was my original problem, should I still be concerned? Or should I just keep on driving the car as normal?

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    B1421 only means the windshield was not in sunlight when the codes were read. :)

If it were my car, I would follow through with the troubleshooting workups in the repair manual (more info) for the other codes that were seen.