1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yellow brake warning light turned on for about 8-10 minutes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bobby T, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Bobby T

Bobby T Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wondering if someone can shed light on this. Yellow brake light turned on while driving in rain, then for some reason turned off. I had read somewhere this may be an indicator of wear on brake pads. I have a 90 mi. commute round trip, I will check again if this turns on and stays on. For now, it is off. Any tips on what could be causing this?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is no brake pad warning light. What did this light look like? Next time it appears, please take a photo and post.

Is it possible that the warning light really had to do with your tires losing traction - this is the icon that depicts the car on a wavy path. That certainly would be likely to occur in rainy weather.

If this is the case, check the tire inflation pressure, and tire tread depth. In rainy weather the safe tread depth is 4/32", and the tires should therefore be replaced if the tread depth is less than that. The legal treadwear limit is 2/32" but that minimal depth is not safe in wet weather.

frodoz737 likes this.