1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yellow Exclamation mark on dashboard not related to tire pressure, help

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Purple Penguin, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Purple Penguin

Purple Penguin New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have a 97 Prius with 187,000 miles, and I left it in a parking lot for about 10 days due to a trip. After I start the car, the yellow exclamation mark was on. From my previous experience, I assume that the air pressure in the tires may be low. I put some air in the tires, first I did it wrong and put too much pressure (38psi). The light blinked when the car first starts, then kept on. I brought it to a shop and they say the problem may be too much air, and reduced the pressure to 32 psi, the yellow exclamation mark was still on after initial blinking. But I am already on the way and did not go back. I think I find better answers on this forum than repair shops.

Are there other common problems that could cause the "yellow exclamation mark" to be on?

I feel nervous driving it around.

2. Don Shouse

Don Shouse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The tire warning light Blinking and then staying on indicates one of the sensors inside the tire has failed.

3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes could be TPMS. I lost my first TPMS sensor at 9.5 years, and depending on when the 2007 was manufactured you could be hitting 10-years soon. I still have three good TPMS at over 10 years.

You know of course they run on permanent solder-connection type button batteries, so like all button batteries, they have a finite life...10-years is quite amazing. If Toyota would only give us display of the valuable data generated daily by these units, we'd really have something cool.

4. Don Shouse

Don Shouse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Exactly. I recently lost my first sensor one on my '07. Not a bad track record!

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just editorial: it's a 2007?

Maybe let go of your experiences and assumptions, lol, have a look in the Owner's Manual:

upload_2016-10-23_10-44-11.png
    upload_2016-10-23_10-49-1.png
    upload_2016-10-23_10-50-20.png

Well, the above seems to be going nowhere fast. One thing for sure: there is no mention of tire pressures. My take: the triangle with explanation mark is serious. I would stop adjusting tire pressures, get it to a Toyota dealership to read codes, do a decent diagnosis. Protracted driving without resolving this could be causing further damage.

What kind of shop? Toyota dealership? Or?