1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown flush it down...

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, Jun 26, 2006.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Who sticks to this principal?

2. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

What is funnier than this question are the "related topics" that pop up at the bottom of the screen :eek:

3. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Brown stuff sticking to the unprincipled Principal (tough school!) has possibilities, too. :)

Way back when the water came by truck once a week, flushing was determined only by the marginal propensity to asphyxiation. :blink:

4. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife does when it's yellow, but I'm more convinced it's due to laziness and an overactive bladder due to MS (she seems to go every 20-30 minutes at times). For the latter, it does seem less wasteful, but at what point do you say "just flush it already"?

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Jun 26 2006, 03:46 PM) [snapback]276951[/snapback]</div>
    Cruising sailors, at least on the Great Lakes. No discharge overboard is allowed on the Great Lakes, which makes sense since we have 1/5th of the world's available fresh water. Because of the discharge ban, all of the black water goes into a holding tank, which of course fills up and makes you go find a pump-out station. Sailboats don't move very fast, so going to pump out can be a real bummer.

Tom

6. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jun 26 2006, 06:33 PM) [snapback]277016[/snapback]</div>
    I sold my sailboat (which had a holding tank) last year, and bought a smaller (23') boat which just has a portable head, so now the rule is "hold it!"

7. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now when we have asparagus... :D

8. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tnthub @ Jun 27 2006, 09:21 AM) [snapback]277310[/snapback]</div>
    That reminds me of the Babe Ruth story... :)

9. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

We do at my house!! Saves allot of stress on the septic system and saves the well too! (Does not apply when company is over the house)

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How do the fish feel about this? Is it better to flush more often, or less?

11. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Damn. Just got chewed out by wifey cause I dumped the unused baby bath water down the drain instead of using to fill up the flush tank.

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I do.

So. Cal is basically a desert. And we're in a constant state of drought. Water cutbacks are forcing us to conserver yet another 20%.

We pay every time we flush as we have not only water fees for it coming in but sewer fees for when it goes out.

Depending, 2-3 yellows equals a brown. I live alone so no one to complain.

13. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Multiple arguments for waterless urinals and composting toilets. People are beginning to realize, even when water is "unlimited," it takes energy to move water. Which brings up the argument for double water meters (both fresh, incoming, and used, outgoing) - such as used in Tucson AZ, San Diego CA, San Jose CA and Arcata CA.

14. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Nov 9 2007, 09:15 PM) [snapback]537539[/snapback]</div>
    Still we all have to admit that it's a pretty neat feat to bring potable water to 20 million people to Socal the desert.

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skruse @ Nov 9 2007, 09:15 PM) [snapback]537539[/snapback]</div>
    Not sure where you're getting your information but San Diego, CA does not have a double meter system like you describe.

The only one I know of that has two water meters is our former Mayor (Susan Golding I believe) who has a separate water meter for her house and her garden so she can keep her rates in the lower priced tier.

16. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    We're on a rainwater catchment system (no city water available) so when we start to get low on water we flush less.

17. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Nov 9 2007, 06:36 PM) [snapback]537548[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, neat. <_< :rolleyes:

Just ask the people in Owen's Valley . . .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owens_Lake
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owens_Valley
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Water_Wars

. . . or those who care about saving Mono Lake . . .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_Lake

. . . just how "neat" Los Angeles' feat is. :angry:

Yeah, what wonderful conservationists Los Angelenos are <_< . . .

. . . just like the 'we are so wonderful crowd' which lives in San Francisco and obtains their water from having damed the Hetch Hetchy Valley in Yosemite National Park.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hetch_Hetchy
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O%27Shaughnessy_Dam

The Sierra Club should be ashamed of calling San Francisco home. I hope they choke on the hypocrisy every time go to the drinking fountain in their offices . . . or do they just truck in bottled water? <_<

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Nov 10 2007, 02:10 AM) [snapback]537636[/snapback]</div>
    I don't see a solution here. Just bellyaching.

Please post your plan for the relocation of businesses and residences out of the areas you feel should no longer be habitable in So. Cal.

Please make sure your plan does not negatively impact their annual income, result in personal property loss, nor impact the viability of the proposed relocated businesses and does not result in any revenue loss to the State of California.

Said plan should not involve a time machine.

19. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ Jun 26 2006, 07:21 PM) [snapback]277129[/snapback]</div>
    I've got a Snipe. Just has a bailer and whatever water bottles are on board. ;)

BTW, a good compromise on this issue is to have a dual mode toilet. There are two flush controls, 1 & 2. 1 uses about half the water that 2 does, IIRC.

20. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 10 2007, 11:53 AM) [snapback]537744[/snapback]</div>
    WOW! Not putting any words in my mouth are you? ;) :rolleyes:
    Just because I refuse to celebrate the "pretty neat feat to bring potable water to 20 million people to Socal the desert" - you infer that I feel So. Cal. should be evacuated?
    Bad leap of logic on your part. <_<

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Nov 10 2007, 11:53 AM) [snapback]537744[/snapback]</div>
    Funny how Republican you become when the issue . . . even an ecological one . . . directly affects you in a way you don't like. :lol: ;)

But, since you ask . . .
    1) No more lawns except in public park play areas. Only native plants would be allowed. The only permitted potable water use outside a residence would be for growing edible food.
    - The amount of water saved with just this one item would go a long way toward returning Mono Lake to its historic healthy level.

2) No home swimming pools.
    I actually know of cases where people maintain swimming pools just for the aesthetic aspects of having a pool, or just to have for the rare times when the grand kids show up.
    If you want to swim for exercise, join a club. If you want to swim for play, join a club or go to a public pool.

3) No fountains, water features, or lakes.
    - And don't give me some BS about it being reclaimed water . . . it can be used for better purposes than 'Displays of Excess' . . . maintaining the illusion of there being plenty of water to go around - THERE ISN'T!

4) No home washing of cars or other vehicles.
    [OK, HEY WAIT!!! NOW I'VE CROSSED THE LINE OF WHAT EVEN I WOULD ACCEPT . . . but then, I don't live in So. Cal. and I can get all Republican on this issue. :p :lol: ]

If you want a clean car, go to a car wash were they at least filter and reuse the water.

5) Government mandates
    State and local governments would need to pass laws requiring governments and businesses to devise methods to conserve water to the maximum extent economically feasible.
    The first area I would like to see addressed would be required drip irrigation for all suitable farm crops.

If combined with your 'Republican' response above, this statement sure smells of the "The Damage Has Been Done, No Going Back" variety. <_<

Just like changing everyones mindset on oil/energy/pollution/global warming, nobody said this would be easy, but you must agree . . . Southern California has a long way to go in mending its way regarding water usage.

Los Angeles is the proverbial growing of cotton in the Cadillac Desert.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Desert

And there are other ways . . .
    http://www.sustainablecotton.org/html/cotton_country.html

. . . for Los Angeles and surrounding communities, it's called massive water conservation.