1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yellow snowflake time--aaarrgghhh

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by singingtiger, Sep 18, 2006.

1. singingtiger

singingtiger New Member

Yesterday as soon as I started driving in the snow, the yellow dashboard snowflake appeared along with the description rectangle warning of icy conditions. So it was time to change the air conditioner settings to "heat". I have had my 04 Prius for three falls and each mid September has started the snowflake time. At least this year I did not have to use the ice scrapper on the windshield--yet.
    :(

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I think the prius is just trying to remind you not to eat the yellow snow :lol:

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Supposed to get down to the low 40s here tonight, but hopefully no snow-flakes at least until Oct.... Have started plugging in the block heater on the colder nights though.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    sigh... still too hot here.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    what?! already? yeesh.

We've got at least until Dec before I'll be seeing the snowflake... unless I head into the mountains beforehand.

6. Aviator

Aviator Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Sep 18 2006, 05:47 PM) [snapback]321336[/snapback]</div>
    We're supposed to have lows in the 40's here as well...about 15 degrees below normal. I think I'll tie my snow shovel on the back of my Prius and head south. When people begin asking me "What is that thing," I'll know I've gone far enough.

7. curtissac

curtissac New Member

90º here at the moment. Will probably go down to the low 50s tonight. My cars don't usually start warning me about ice until well into December. Have yet to see the yellow snow warning on the Prius. Does it come on during boot up... ahem.. I mean "start". :)

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aviator @ Sep 18 2006, 02:58 PM) [snapback]321342[/snapback]</div>
    lol.

It drops to about 50±3 °F overnight.

9. pirateprius

pirateprius New Member

Eastern North Carolina, Home of the ECU Pirates
    No snowflakes here - just comfortable temps and cooler nights - just the way I like it.

10. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    :lol: Hay Galaxee and PiratePrius,

Pay a visit to Boone, its overnight in the high 30's and the leaves are starting to change and look great!! What a wonderful time of year fall is in the mountains, time for another trip along the Blue Ridge Parkway again!! :lol:

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    it's always so much nicer over there, rangerdavid! you guys even get snow every now and then! [cry] DH grew up in the mountains actually, he goes to visit family that still lives there a few times a year.

it's not so bad at night here now, mid 70s... i still see that as an ideal daytime high... :lol:

12. pirateprius

pirateprius New Member

Eastern North Carolina, Home of the ECU Pirates
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Sep 18 2006, 08:58 PM) [snapback]321418[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Rangerdavid - Would love to get time to head your way for the fall foliage, but a lot of home games over the next few weeks. Personally though I prefer warmer weather than the 30's - never did like being cold even though I grew up in the Northeast. And my Prius enjoys the cooler, but not yet cold temperatures too.

13. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 18 2006, 04:38 PM) [snapback]321301[/snapback]</div>
    Ed,

I know I saw posts about block heaters here, but is there a link to the suppliers for those?

Thanks,
    Rand

14. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

had the snowflake and the termination dust about 3 weeks ago while on holidays. Once over the pass and down the other side, sat in the hot springs.

15. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(singingtiger @ Sep 18 2006, 01:31 PM) [snapback]321292[/snapback]</div>
    I am so sorry! Get a block heater. Look into a radiator blocker (mine is the best ) :lol: Fall will fail and Winter will pass and soon it will be spring again. Sweet summer gas, and warm weather, less dense air, no cooling off at a stop light! Winter in necessary but a bummer. I just saw a post that we switched to winter gas in Washington on Sept 15 rather than October 1. I sure hope not!

16. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow! There are so many times that I just forget about seasons. Doors are open and the fan is on. Course it did get pretty cold last night, must have been in the upper 50's! I have to drive inland and north to find weather cold enough for yellow snow...I did grow up in Vermont though so I know that you don't want anything to do with yellow snow!!

Rangerdavid, that is a lovely photo in your avatar.