1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yellow snowflake time again

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by singingtiger, Sep 17, 2007.

1. singingtiger

singingtiger New Member

My summer driving season has ended with the yellow snowflake displayed.
    On the 04 and 05 models this symbol shows when the temperature reaches three degrees Celsius cautioning possible icy conditions.

Now for four consecutive mid Septembers this appeared on our annual mountain biking trip to the South Dakota Black Hills.

At least this year I did not have to scrape ice from the windshield!!

aaaarrrrggghh!! :(

2. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(singingtiger @ Sep 17 2007, 01:21 PM) [snapback]513823[/snapback]</div>

On my Prius, a yellow egg being cooked on a piece of desert rock is displayed when the temp reaches 55C, pretty much all year round...

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I try to avoid yellow snow...

4. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

I just found this, it's pretty funny:

"The yellow snowflake

I love my Prius in many ways[...] But the car has some nanny-like features that really irritate me.

Chief among them: the dreaded yellow snowflake, which appeared last night on my drive home (as did frost on the windshield, but that's another gripe entirely). On the dash, it appears as a road, depicted by two lines that converge in the distance, with a snowflake superimposed on it. When it appeared last fall, illuminated in Warning Yellow, I panicked. What the heck could be wrong with my new car?

So I consulted the owners manual, which informed me that the yellow snowflake signifies that it is below 37 degrees. I hunted around some more, trying to discover what's so important about the thermometer dropping below 37 -- a temp that for much of the year would be considered quite balmy in these parts. Would the hybrid engine be affected? Would I have to change my driving habits? Or, more likely, did I need some kind of pricey seasonal tuneup?

Nope. Toyota just wants me to be aware that it's cold out. And, I guess, that in a few more degrees, it might possibly -- gasp! -- snow.

So if you weren't aware that winter is coming, there's your official confirmation. My car says so. (It added that you might want to think about wearing a hat.)"

5. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is the first fall that I haven't anticipated with a hint of dread. (Refugee of New England checking in.) To heck with fuel economy, I just hate cold weather! Fortunately we've got another few months before worrying about ice on the roads in these parts. Those of you in the northern latitudes have my sympathy.

6. jonjonbear

jonjonbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusOwner004 @ Sep 17 2007, 02:01 PM) [snapback]513836[/snapback]</div>
    Heheheheheee..
    I was born and raised in Vegas so I can totally visualize that! :lol:

7. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusOwner004 @ Sep 17 2007, 03:01 PM) [snapback]513836[/snapback]</div>
    :huh:

Are you being serious or are you joking? If serious, I'd like to see a picture of that! B)

8. PriusOwner004

PriusOwner004 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Sep 18 2007, 11:57 AM) [snapback]514341[/snapback]</div>

I'm joking, there is no egg. The only time the egg shows up on the dashboard is when it's so f* hot outside that I start halucinating and seeing mirages.

9. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Last february the snowflake appeared - right about when I hit some ice. I took pictures of myself sliding down the freeway with all the other cars. It was a lot of fun. I narrowly avoided so many cars that night.

This year I bought wider tires.

10. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusOwner004 @ Sep 18 2007, 02:10 PM) [snapback]514484[/snapback]</div>

Next time I'm in Lake Havasu I plan on taking a pan and cooking my breakfast in the street.

11. Spoid

Spoid New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusOwner004 @ Sep 17 2007, 12:01 PM) [snapback]513836[/snapback]</div>
    My egg light finally turned off and I didn't use the Prius AC at all yesterday.

12. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusOwner004 @ Sep 18 2007, 05:10 PM) [snapback]514484[/snapback]</div>
    Heh heh... that's what I figured, but just thought I'd ask just in case. I never see 55C temperatures where I come from, so ya never know... ;)