1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yellow warning triangle with key not detected message

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by veggiecar, Sep 27, 2024 at 7:46 PM.

1. veggiecar

veggiecar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2012 Prius 3 with 270,000 miles. I use my Prius to help me through power outages, in this case caused by hurricane Helene. I connect an inverter to the 12 volt battery and turn the car on. It recharges the high voltage battery for about two minutes every twenty minutes. Last year it kept my fridge and freezer running for 3+ days. I am doing it again. I keep the power draw down to around 300 watts or less. I changed the battery in the key fob. The voltage on the new battery was 3.3v. When I start the car, there are no warning lights, but after a minute or so, the yellow triangle comes on along with the “key not detected” message. I do not know if the message and the yellow triangle warning light are connected. I have the Dr. Prius app and it says,”no ECU error codes found”. Any thoughts on the situation? Thanks in advance for the help…

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Maybe a communication problem you have a red light on your remote that lights when any of the buttons are pushed? You haven't mixed up a remote with one no not to work or something like that?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    was it working with the old battery?

4. veggiecar

veggiecar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Tombukt2 for the input. The red light helped solve my problem. I am embarrassed to say that I put the battery in upside down. That fixed the issue. Both the yellow warning triangle and the message went away.

Tombukt2 and bisco like this.
  5. veggiecar

veggiecar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was not working with the old battery. The voltage was 3.0 volts. Apparently that is not enough. The new battery is 3.3 volts and it works.

bisco and Brian1954 like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    plus, the voltage drops under load, hard to test on button batteries.

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The important thing now is that you caught it and it's fixed and probably won't happen again on your watch