1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yeltsin Dead

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by daronspicher, Apr 23, 2007.

1. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/europe/04/23...n.ap/index.html

Wow, I guess Nancy really does think she is somebody.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wth....I don't see why Pelosi would do something like this. Even I don't like it and it serves no roll but to increase the division b/w the dems and repubs over a dead guy.

Didn't see the Pelosi info in the link...where are the details?

3. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I could get slapped for this - Yeltsin is the only politician with a more problematic heart than Cheney. :(

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I think Daron is just trying to bait us... The statement in itself is absurd, she would never chose those two to "head the team", and has absolutely no backing in any news story (i just checked all the major outlets and several google searches).

5. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Its certainly not in the link he posted.

6. daronspicher

Oh come on... it's Monday morning, have a laugh or two.

I'm a little surprised someone didn't come out to defend Pelosi's decision... but who knows, maybe she will do something stupid and typical like I suggested.

It wouldn't surprise me..

:p :p :p

7. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    If so, it seems to me that should be worthy of some sort of admin punishment. I can't seem to find the forum rules anywhere though...

Anything in them about lying, and specifically about false quotes?

8. Clar

Clar Member

wow. vodka can keep someone live for 76 yrs. pretty good.

9. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yeah, it's call "FHOP," home of lying and false quotes. Funny joke, but not too good for your street cred, Daron :p

10. daronspicher

If it were a jab at Bush, I'd be getting a Prius Chat medal of glory or something.

A jab at the sacred cow and now we're reviewing the fine print.

Nice... :lol:

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jabs are fine when it's clear that it's a joke or opinion. Placed in the context you did as if it were a fact and you were quoting a linked article is very misleading and, I feel, inappropriate. Maybe I wouldn't be upset if it were April Fools day, but in the context you did this I don't think it's right.

12. daronspicher

FHOP is front to back people saying stuff, refuting facts, link to my story to dispute yours, link to another story to refute the last link. How long did you think the spoof would go before someone began to wonder where the info is on Pelosi doing this?

You're just upset because you fell for it initially. Adding Al and Jesse as the dignitaries was easily loading this quote so that it was immediately recognizable as a spoof.

The only alternative to recognizing this as a spoof is that you think is plausable that Nancy would pull this stunt and would actually name Al and Jesse to go.

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Apr 23 2007, 10:44 AM) [snapback]428353[/snapback]</div>
    I did fall for it, and I've long since accepted that anyone on either side of our gov't would do something this stupid, so yes I did read it as both stupid and plausible.

But I'm not "just upset" b/c I fell for it, but b/c I think intentionally lying in the context of something else that's factual is a very bad precedent to set here. I'm not taking any official action, I don't think you broke any rule, but I don't think it was appropriate and I want you to know that.

14. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Apr 23 2007, 08:14 AM) [snapback]428328[/snapback]</div>
    It is flame baiting, pure and simple. Most internet bulletin boards prohibit such behavior.

15. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

A spoof is OK if it is funny. This one wasn't.

16. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 23 2007, 11:03 AM) [snapback]428368[/snapback]</div>
    ...just remember how many of us feel about Dust to Dust - who wants to emulate such stuff?

17. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Never thought I'd put up a defense of a Daronspicher post, but in this instance I'm inclined to agree with the OP that there was no foul. The "joke" doesn't work unless it was put in a mock "truthful" context. This is the sort of stuff The Onion does for a living, not to mention several broadcast personalities - I'm surprised something like this ISN'T in The Onion, frankly, it's exactly the type of parody that's right up their alley. What you guys are all clamoring for is that the OP slap a big label on his post: "THIS IS A JOKE." Now, c'mon, are we such clueless kids in a sandbox we need satire labeled as such? Bahh!

Keep 'em coming, Daronspicher, some of us out here have brains enough to appreciate the barb of satire WITHOUT a warning label.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

18. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If Yeltsin were President today, would he promote flex-fuel vehicles that run on....vodka?

19. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

A truly good joke is measured by the amount of people it ticks off!

Way to go!!! :lol: