1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yep the C1391 code (ZJB)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by calvinty, Apr 20, 2022.

1. calvinty

calvinty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello, all. First, yeah, I finally log in after years and years (so yeah my 2006 join date is correct lol).

Quick background (since I can't modify my signature until I have posted 4 times first, grins):

I'm on my 3rd Prius -- 2004, 2006 and now having 2013 Toyota Prius Three (bought used in 2019 via Carmax). Whenever I have a Prius-related issue, I love it when I see PriusChat shows up in the search results.

Yep, as the subject says, last Saturday, I was accelerating into a fast road and my Prius threw up several lights, scaring me. I took the car right away to AutoZone, knowing they will check which code for me.

They indicated it was C1391. Went home and got online and researched issue -- from here, I saw the ZJB PDF file and I was like "yay, this is a known issue!". As confirmed, I was getting the ABS/Brake/TRAC/Powertrain lights on.

Went to my local Toyota dealership (Phoenix, AZ)... they originally wanted me to pay $150 for diagnostics (I have had this conversation before with either this particular dealership or another one in the past) and I am like, "I'm the one who is giving you the code". Then they removed the cost.

The tech who worked on the car apparently typed "found code p3000 cleared code did not come back on" (but the advisor probably told the tech wrong info as advisor said "check engine light on"). My check engine light was not even in the picture, lol. Since I'm a deaf person, it's ironic since this convo was done by paper and text so no way for advisor to misunderstand me. :)

Anyway, so they did a safety recall (J0V) and they initially thought that resolved the dashboard display. When I got in the car and drove off, I realized the dashboard had the same 4 lights coming on (of course it only happens to the owner, not the tech lol).

So they asked me to come right back, so I decided to go home quickly print out the ZJB program to show how that exactly matches my issue.

Later the same day, they agreed that it *was* the issue mentioned in ZJB so it'll be free of charge. Haha, the parts (brake pump or such) are on back order and may be a month... so they are paying for my daily rental. So that's at least nice.

P.S. I am posting it mostly to thank this forum for educating me to deal with the dealership. When I first read the ZJB, I thought I was SOL (sh*t out of luck) because it said primary coverage expires for 2011-2015 Prius in Aug 2021... but then saw the secondary coverage and I'm less than 150,000 miles & first-of-use is not yet 10 years old, so I lucked out on the repair costs!

Cheers,

* CalvinTy

2. calvinty

calvinty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think I also wanted to ask here whether it's really normal to expect a dealership to charge for diagnostic troubleshooting even if I provide the code from AutoZone. At one point, the advisor did say that "he has to pay the technician"... but once I printed the ZJB paper and gave to him, then he did confirm that I didn't have to pay for that diagnostic cost.

The FAQ for the ZJB paper did say that "if the condition is found not to be covered in this program... the owner may be responsible for any initial diagnostic fees".. So that did make sense, but good thing I didn't have the funds that day because I'd have just paid for it anyway otherwise!

Cheers,

* CalvinTy