1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

yep, we're addicted to oil alright.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by galaxee, Feb 1, 2008.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yahoo news headlines, one right after the other just like this:

"us payrolls drop for first time since 2003"
    "exxon mobil posts record profits"

anyone else get a sick feeling reading those two together? our economy is in rough shape and who's bending us over even farther?

the broad definition of addiction is continued use of a substance despite knowledge of detriment to health, family, finance, etc.

damnit, when are our license plates for the greasecar getting here?!!?

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep. Saw both of them exactly as you did. Wonder if anyone else would get the irony. Or nausea as the case may be.

3. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Does anyone see this as maybe the tip of the iceburg?

The US ran a record $716 billion trade deficit in 2006, we have a projected $400 billion budget deficit for 2008 and the trends are getting worse.

More and more jobs (including skilled labor) are getting shipped overseas, we have an expensive war to fight with no real end in sight yet, we're seeing inflation from oil and other products, but stagnating wages, Bush wants to keep his tax breaks for the wealthy and we're cutting social programs to help make up for it, and the housing market is a mess after no one stepped in to avert the current catastrophe.

Could this be a sign of even worse times to come in the decades ahead?

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Can't you drive the greasecar with temporary papers?

Most addictions cause severe physical discomfort or pain when the substance is withdrawn. Therefore the addict requires an enormous amount of will power and motivation to kick his habit. A weak-willed person, once addicted, will probably die of his habit.

Petroleum is like that: There will be severe economic dislocation for a while if we quit. And since our leaders are not merely weak-willed, but downright lily-livered, we'll probably die of our petroleum habit.

Of course, where there's an addict, there's someone to supply the addictive substance, and I've never heard of anyone going broke selling an addictive substance.

5. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    the issue is the lack of a license plate. i told him to slap the plate from the es250 on there but he is afraid if they run the plate and it doesn't match up, he will get pulled over and fined.

the greasecar needs work anyway. it had a bad caliper and no brake fluid when we went to get it, and another one went while it was parked. leaked all the brake fluid out again. needs a brake flush anyway. brake pads, as expected since the brakes were neglected. also, the last time the front bearings were repacked they were screwed up and DH was surprised upon seeing them that we even got the car home.

soooo

it's for the best anyway i guess. weather was not conducive to working on cars when he had some time, and he just got through some heavy school work. should get it put back together and ready to go this week. another 2 weeks or so till the plate gets here.

he wants to tweak the install job they did too... he's picky like that.

hey i just hijacked my own thread :D

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So how are his classes going? How's he feeling about it? (as long as it's hijacked....)

7. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    he's got 3 electronics classes, an a&p class, and a math class. he's wrecking the curve in electronics- especially in the labs. with the theory, he's not so fond of the equations but he gets it just fine.

anatomy he finds interesting, he says the spine and nerve stuff will be no trouble for him at all :) he likes that the instructor puts the focus of the class on biomed equipment.

doesn't like the math class. he was one of those gifted students who got bored and quit doing the work in high school, so he thinks that he can't do math. at first i had to re-explain the material to him after class, but now i think he's in the swing of it.

he was very anxious before the first day, but he's like that with major events. now i'd say he's done very well making a big adjustment like that. i tell him all the time how proud i am.