1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yes, it is possible...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by daniel, Dec 6, 2004.

1. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Taking a sharp left turn at a very icy intersection at a fairly slow speed, I felt just the slightest hint of a skid and I heard the beeps. My HydroEdge tires are still virtually brand new.

I only post this because I think someone was wondering if VSC would ever kick in with these tires, as they grip the road better than the OEM tires. I guess any tire can slide on ice.

I sure am glad I have the "AM" pkg.

2. removeum

removeum Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    8) I just bought the Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tires for my 04. I do not have VSC, however, these tires are the same size as the OEM's and #3 on the list from Tirerack.

I have not noticed any decrease in gas mileage due to the tire, just temperature

Ben

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, I think Fargo and Winnipeg have similar climates and winter road conditions. Winter sure does seem to last forever, and the wind always blows.

On Friday my Dunlop Graspic DS2 winter tires FINALLY came in, so I had them put on steel rims. We had warmer temps and even rain Friday so it wasn't the best time to test the winter tires.

No unusual problems in the rain, no hydroplaning. As expected, the handling was much less precise. What I didn't expect was the ride is softer, you don't even feel the expansion joints. I'd call that a plus!

On the Trans Canada at 110 km/h, no unusual handling problems. The steering response felt a bit dead, but it tracked straight.

I was worried about fuel economy penalties, but so far it's not as bad as I thought it would be. The same stretch of Trans Canada I would get around 5.3 l / 100km. With the Dunlop winter tires, 5.6 l /1 100km. Around a 3-4 MPG difference.

Driving around Winnipeg, there was no difference in fuel economy. With average speeds of 60 km/h and under, I expected that. If I did a lot of highway driving, I might reconsider.

The drive back on Sunday was much colder, and I had a chance to see how the tires worked on snow and ice. First of all, you REALLY have to try to get the VSC or Trac to kick in. I mean, you have to drive like a complete idiot. Which I did in an empty and iced-over parking lot. It was fun!

Before, the car would barely pull away from a dead stop on ice. Now it accelerates normally. If I floor it, the Trac does kick in, but it accelerates MUCH faster than before.

The ABS also kicks in much later with the winter tires, so I can take advantage of regen much more often. I'm sure most readers know that when the ABS kicks in, you don't have regen braking.

Today I tried out that nasty parking ramp at a mall that gave me trouble two weeks ago. I purposely stopped on the ramp, then tried to pull away again. No problem at all.

So I'd happily keep the numb steering response, slightly lower fuel economy, and somewhat floaty ride for my much improved winter traction.

4. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Jayman, thanks for taking the time to post that clear and concise report on your new snow tires. While we don't get the winter conditions you have back there it will help in making a decision on tire purchase if we decide to take a trip up to Mt. Washington this winter.
    Gary

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I will bow to anyone who lives in Fargo. We get snow once or twice a year. Yes it stays on the roads until it melts (4 or 5 days rarely longer and no one around her knows how to drive in snow and ice) but you folks have the experience. Now when it comes to rain we know rain. I may have a set a Hydroedges in my future.

6. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    hdrygas, I think we share somewhat the same weather. In fact, I'm thinking of fitting a set of Beaver Aircraft amphib floats on for the winter or should I say rainy season. :roll:

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    We shair, is such a thing possible. When the Pineapple express hits I am moving to the Ford Explorer to move through the "puddles"

8. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

It drizzled almost 3 1/2" friday and saturday. Just about filled my rain gauge. But you know we just go about our bussiness as if nothing happened. Now convert that to snow for 10 to the inch and it's almost 36 inches of snow, and back in the winter of 1970 we had that much and it stuck for almost 3 weeks. As a kid from the north it really didn't bother me much, now with all the extra traffic it'd be h**l for sure. 1/2"= chaos now.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    36" of snow is double the total snowfall for this area over the past 4 years. if you take out one snowfall we had this past mar, then it more than triple the snowfall.

the one in march was first snow that stuck more than a few hours in over 2 years.

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    We do not get much total rainfall. But we can occasionally get torrential downpours. Once, many years ago, I happened to be on the freeway when a thunderstorm came up suddenly and I could not see the white line on the road. Fortunately, the most intense part of the storm only lasted a few minutes and somehow I stayed on the road.

But the worst rainstorm I've ever seen was in Guadalajara. It lasted an hour, during which time the world disappeared. Walking home afterwards there was no alternative to wading knee-deep through the streets. (I did not have my car there. Only a very reckless person would drive in Mexico, and a car is not needed there.)