1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yes, the Flawed CR Numbers are still being quoted

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tempus, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And not just by individuals, who you could expect not to have seen the 'correction'.

"Real Reporters" are still using the original numbers.

You would think that after AP, UPI, Business Week and everyone else made such a big deal about "Consumer Reports Issues Correction" (seeing as it's not something they do every day), that any reporter doing research, or any editor doing fact checking would notice.

But, as we all posited, no one ever pays attention to the corrections on page Z99 :)

2. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, a coworker told me about the article in yesterday's paper, so I took it home to read it last night, but never got around to it.
    I emailed him the correction. :D
    But, I wish I would have noticed sooner another Prius mistake: "With the optional navigation system come the energy monitoring screens". I think he is trying to say, wrongly, that you only get the energy screens if you buy the NAV. :rolleyes:

3. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keydiver @ Aug 25 2006, 11:00 AM) [snapback]309276[/snapback]</div>
    He replied!:
    "We'll have a correction tomorrow on Page 2. I admit, I had made some
    preliminary calculations that suggested a better cost to savings
    ratio, but who's to question Consumer Reports, which, as you know,
    didn't make a big deal out of the correction. I subscribe and I
    overlooked it.

As for your Prius, be careful up there in Hobe Sound. Wiggins lives up
    that way and loves to drive his Prius. The Prius, size-wise, actually
    comes in somewhere between the Corolla and Camry, but I thought the
    fairer comparison for the Prius was to the Corolla than to the Camry,
    especially since the Camry hybrid has a sibling.

Unfortunately you can only buy a hybrid with top of the line
    accessories. You can't get a stripped down Camry hybrid or Prius or
    Civic, so the price comparisons remain a bit skewed. I'm sure a lot of
    folk would be more tempted to buy a Prius or Civic if they came with
    the basic package. But I can't see the marketing people allowing that.

Nonetheless, I had a ball driving Wiggins' Prius and am sure you are
    enjoying yours, too. thanks for writing.

thom"

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(keydiver @ Aug 25 2006, 11:02 AM) [snapback]309316[/snapback]</div>
    I wonder if it's already corrected on their website (the flawed consumer reports numbers), because i didn't really see any straight "cost of owndership" numbers, just some price comparisons - such as the prius being 4k more expensive than the corolla, getting 3.1k of that back as a credit, and saving 600 per year in gas... seems to show that the "payback" period is less than 2 years

5. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 25 2006, 12:10 PM) [snapback]309320[/snapback]</div>
    Nope, the article on the web is still wrong.

The bad section says:

Analyzing the higher costs of hybrids, the present price of fuel, depreciation, taxes and insurance, Consumer Reports concluded that five years of hybrid ownership will cost the typical driver $3,700 to $13,300 more than a comparably equipped non-hybrid model.

The corrected numbers take the Prius and Civic Hybrid into positive territory over 5 years. Roughly a 5K swing from what they are still showing on the online article.

I have no idea about a correction in the paper, and that's exactly what I mean about corrections being 'buried'.

It really does no good to print a correction if the online article is still going to be there forever for google to find and people to quote.

6. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

What was the issue with the article? I subscribe to CR. Which #s were wrong?

7. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 25 2006, 12:10 PM) [snapback]309320[/snapback]</div>
    You can't get a stripped down Camry or Prius? Has he not heard of Prius package 1? He sounds like a real eskimo piehead, not checking his facts which is probably why he "missed" the correction.

8. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    granted, it is harder to get a stripped down Hycam since they're basically the camry xle with the hybrid system tossed under the hood, but to say you can't get a stripped down prius is just foolishness.

9. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JackDodge @ Aug 29 2006, 12:20 PM) [snapback]311157[/snapback]</div>
    The Package #1 is theoretically available, but good luck finding one.

10. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(240sxer @ Aug 29 2006, 12:13 PM) [snapback]311154[/snapback]</div>
    There are huge threads on here on that subject. Search and ye shall find.

The corrected Consumer Reports article is now behind their 'pay online subscription' firewall, but it does not have the same numbers you have in your print version.

Also, if you check the issue two months after the one with the hybrid cost article, you'll find the correction buried in there.

But, you can google it up readily enough.

For example:

Consumer Reports Corrects Itself on Cars

Another One (See the Update at the Bottom)

Bottom line, the original article said the Prius cost $3700 more over 5 years than the 'comparable' gas Toyota.

The corrected version says the Prius costs $400 less over 5 years.

That's just correcting the basic math error. They still make some assumptions such as higher repair costs and higher depreciation (lower resale value) for the Prius that are questionable, and would make the Prius advantage larger.

11. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

Yeah, I didnt really get why they had the repair cost of the prius higher, also, wouldnt the cost of replacing brakes and such be much lower in the prius? I don't really get that.

It almost seems like they made sure the prius didnt save a lot of money. Did they even do any resale value research? Or they just assumed?

They claimed the prius would only be worth 9k in 5 years. There are 01 Priuses selling for more than 9k now (5 years later) and they aren't even the model that's desierable.

12. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(240sxer @ Aug 29 2006, 01:43 PM) [snapback]311190[/snapback]</div>
    It depends... for almost all of my Prius maintainence (except tires) I have gone to the dealer. I know I'm paying far more at the dealer for this stuff than I would at a normal quick lube place, so they may have calculated that in (especialy if the manual stipulates you must have brakes done at a dealer. I'd check, but it's raining out).

13. 240sxer

240sxer New Member

I see.. I just find it hard to believe that over 75k miles it will cost more to oprate a prius (not including fuel) than a Corolla.

14. Kryten

Kryten New Member

RE: Depreciation.
    Besides the obvious reasons, another positive factor in buying my '06 Prius was the fact that the dealer tried to sell me an '04 Prius for slightly more than a new one! So I ordered a new one--and got it last week! (Already have 1000 miles on it, averaging 49.8 mpg.)
    A check of the Tacoma News Tribune classifieds verified that used ones are selling at a premium price.
    I don't think these puppies are depreciating at a normal rate...