1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet Another Blacked Out Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by opnsrcaddict, May 14, 2011.

1. opnsrcaddict

opnsrcaddict New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since I had to wash her up for prom, I thought I'd take some pictures and share my blacked out Prius. I've got 5% tint in the rear windows and 35% in the front. I blacked out the Toyota logos using PlastiDip. I also used PlastiDip on the wheels, it seems to be holding up alright after a few months. Not bad for less than thirty bucks, I have a writeup of the process if anyone is interested.

The rest of the mods are mostly audio related. Alpine headunit stealth install, 6.5" alpine components in front and coaxials in the rear, bluetooth package and mini-amp for the alpine headunit. I've also got a 500watt kenwood amp and two 12" infinity subs in the back.

Lastly, I have my custom made android tablet mount with power and a connection to my aux-in on the Alpine. This is just a first prototype but it's fully functional, I'm having another laser cut soon.

Future mods:
    Custom Sub box to make more room in the back (might need to downsize subs)
    Clazzio seat covers
    Shark-fin antennae
    Mud flaps

Special thanks to F8L for the awesome stealth headunit install guide and macmaster05 for showing me the awesomeness that is PlastiDip!

Let me know what you guys think :D.

Attached Files:

2. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks good! Nice work. Hal

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It looks great, man! :)

you may consider going with a single high powered sub in a vented enclosure. My new box only takes up one side of the hatch so it leaves me more room. I used a basic vented box my buddy's shop sells with an Orion XTR Pro sub and an ARC Audio 500w class d amp.

4. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Touring rims look good in black. Matches your car. :thumb:

5. GBC_Texas_Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Nice for Michigan. I'm guessing the all black car thing came from non sunny weather locations.

6. Michgal007

Michgal007 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good job, love the black wheels.

7. mikewithaprius

mikewithaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Lookin' nice!

I see it says you have an '07. I do, too, but my display is slightly different (yours looks like the 2004-2006 displays I've seen). Wondering if they switched to the later Gen II display in the middle of that model year?

8. opnsrcaddict

opnsrcaddict New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the comments guys :).

F8L: That sounds like what I was thinking for my subs as well. I was going to move the Kenwood amp into the cargo area and a single sub that would take the 500watt rms. I'm debating if I want to use a simple ported box or custom make a sealed one. I really like what some people have done with the driver cubby area, but I don't know if I want to fiberglass it. I'm also not sure if a 12 inch sub would fit in there.

I'm glad you guys like the wheels, I'm really happy about how they turned out. I've attached the writeup I mentioned, I did it for an assignment in one of my writing classes.

GBC_Texas_Prius: The all black car still gets pretty toasty in Michigan once the sun decides to show up :). The tinted windows do help to keep some of the heat out though. I've also been really impressed with how fast the air conditioning gets cold in this car.

mikewithaprius: What is different about your display? I thought they changed the display in the 2006 models. I have the base model without the SKS or backup camera, perhaps that's why it is different?

9. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Mike was referring to the 2006+ display being different from 04-05 display.  The new one boasted slightly better resolution and a different theme/font.  From the picture of your screen, it looks like you have the old display, which is confusing because you've listed the 07 Prius in your profile. If this is the case though, you're not missing out on anything. The actual content is the same and there's not much of a disparity. It's just something that caught mike's and my eye.

WHAT CLASS IS THIS AND WHERE DO I SIGN UP?? ;)

10. opnsrcaddict

opnsrcaddict New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is a 2007, so that is really strange. part of the reason I went with the '07 is because I read that after 2006 a lot of things were upgraded... including the display as you've mentioned. This one also has a few scratches on it, I wonder if I could upgrade to the new one and just plug it in?

It was for a technical and professional writing class, the assignment was to to write an instructional piece :p. After seeing what could be done with PlastiDip I already had the project lined up and figured it would be a pretty easy writeup. Here's the file, I forgot it in my last post.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you did an excellent job.I bet it would look sweet with blacked out headlight reflectors and a set of projectors. ;)

12. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    NICE!! Love that write-up. Thorough and visually appealing. Everyone should see that PDF file. It should be a sticky or something.

I hope you got an A. If I was a teacher and a student paid any homage to the Prius, I'd give them an A for the quarter. I'd be such an awful teacher.