1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet another block heater installation thread

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Beryl Octet, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, I know, lots of stuff on it here already, but I was so happy to have done this that I felt like another thread wouldn't hurt. If I can install this, then probably anyone can.

The part that I'd thought might be hard, inserting the element and attaching the cable, turned out not to be so bad, other than some skin off my knuckles to actually reach the thing from underneath. The excellent picture of the engine block
    [​IMG]
    here on this page makes it easy. It's also easy to feel the lip where the clip goes, but I was not able to really blow the opening out with air or get any grease into it as the instructions suggested, so I basically used the whole tube on the element, and pressed on.

Once I got that part done, I routed the cable up to the firewall and wire-tied it to the bundle going into the relay box. From there I went around the left side of engine compartment, but sort of got stuck at the very front of the car.

[attachmentid=6061]

I couldn't see a good way to get the cable from the engine compartment to the void between the grill and the radiator/AC, so I added some of that spiral plastic wire wrap to it and ran it through the frame like this after unclipping the upper grill/bumper. Was there a better way? I couldn't see one. This seems like it will work for now, anyway, but perhaps not the greatest. Any comments? I was able to get my hand in behind the grill and wire tie the cord to the bundle behind the bumper, as it seemed like it might flop around otherwise.

[attachmentid=6062]

I ended up with the plug coming out through two of the lower grill bars beside the driver's side fog light. The car doesn't look quite so nasty in real life as these flash pictures suggest, but it did just come off of a 600 mile road trip.

[attachmentid=6063]

Attached Files: