1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet another break in mileage question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Renocat, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know there are many many topics about people not being happy with their MPG while the Prius is new and still in the break in period. My question is sort of the opposite.

When I picked up my Prius it had 3 miles on the odometer. Since day 1 I have averaged 50 mpg and I am quite pleased with that. Can I expect it to increase after the initial break in period? And just what is considered to be the break in period?

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Disappointment often comes from not having realistic expectations.

For you, detecting an increase in true efficiency will be nearly impossible... simply due to timing. Since you live in upstate New York, winter will inevitably push your MPG down... and there's not a darn thing you can do about it. But by the time summer finally returns, you may indeed discover the Prius has loosened up even more. Higher than a 50 average may be possible.

Finding out is really difficult though. Take a look at my data to see why.

3. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, I figured my mileage will drop this winter. I am just happy with the ~50 mpg I have gotten since day 1 and just wondered if it was "normal" :p

4. adgo82

adgo82 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Sep 2 2006, 06:14 PM) [snapback]313207[/snapback]</div>
    Funny you mention that. I am having the same experience as you. Ive been getting 53, 55, 52 on my first 3 tanks. Now I am on my 4th tank and tropical storm ernesto came by droping 2 days worth of rain non stop and I did notice a millage drop to 49. I am ready to see what winter brings along so far i am happy. Ohh BTW my car had 1 mile when i took it out of the stealership :p

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Sep 2 2006, 05:28 PM) [snapback]313218[/snapback]</div>
    While John's pretty much dead on here I'll just add that there is a little you can do about it. Some changes in driving styles, esp. combining short trips, can help a little. Keeping the car in a heated garage, if that's an option.

Some of us have installed a block heater in our Prii to help attenuate the winter 'hit' and improve our first 5 minute mileage.