1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet another comparison!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by David Beale, May 27, 2012.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    OK, for history, I had a 2007 Prius (Pearl) from new and sold it to a friend when I purchased a 2012 Technology Package Seaglass Pearl (Pearl S).
    The Technology Package includes radar cruise control, the 7" screen GPS, softex "leather" seats, power drivers seat, JBL audio, and more I'm still discovering each day. ;)
    Finally getting a chance to "notice" what I'm driving! There's so much stuff, so many settings to make, adjustments as well! My head is -STILL- spinning.
    Even though the owners manual is rather large, the index and quick reference in the back makes it easy to find the right page. And I've been finding the right pages a lot!

First, the 12V system. The battery looks different, but when I measured the size it appears very close to the battery in Pearl (GII). It has more capacity, up to 45 A-Hr from 38 in Pearl. YES, the GIII has a -real- battery regulator! The voltage varies all over the place depending on circumstances. Maybe the battery will last?

The cooling system appears to have a 90 degree C thermostat (Pearl had 85 deg C).

So far I've been unable to get behind the front grills to install screen (to protect the rads from rocks). There are two "undertrays", one easy to remove, the other seems part of the bumper-cover, or is removed when it comes off. I will talk to a friend who is a bodyman to see if it's practical to remove the bumper-cover to put the mesh in (I use evestrough mesh, zip tied to the back of the grill). It worked well in Pearl. Kept large insects out of the rads. and saved them from rock damage.

Looks like I'll be using jackstands to do oil changes. I just had to use ramps for Pearl. The filter "door" swings forward, meaning you have to get way under the car to change the filter. I did purchase Toyota 0W20 oil, as at $5.70 per litre it's a bargain! I bought a case, along with a case of filters.

Storage! I knew this coming in, but there is less in the GIII than the GII. There is even less -useable- space in the GIII. I may see if I can get some small bungee cord net to put 1/2 way up each side of the tray under the flying bridge (shifter holder?). To hold items larger than a CD safely.
    I'm not saying I hate the bridge, it's nice to rest my arm on. I'm just saying it could have been done better. Maybe in GIV?
    There was a downside to having lots of storage space in Pearl. I removed all my "stuff" and filled two large duffel bags. About 70 lbs total. (Blush), I found -two- whisk brooms in the hatch storage. I probably only used about 35 lbs of that stuff.
    Oh, and Toyota, if you're listening, PLEASE stop putting the wide centre console in the way of the drivers legs! We need space in that area to change our body position from time to time! You could widen it back towards the seats for whatever needs to go in there. It would be more comfortable that way.

Pearl S has the new cross brace but not having driven the car with the older one I can't say if it makes a difference. It does handle pretty well, better than it feels like it will. Maybe the alignment is out slightly, as she seems to "hunt" for direction. But high speed cornering is no problem!

A lesson learned! When on cruise control, cancel first before dropping the set speed a lot. The guy in the PU behind me was almost as surprised as I was when the car -braked- as I dropped it from 100 to 70 km/hr. Good thing -HE- was awake! Love the radar cruise. No more constant "managing" of the cruise. I use cruise in the city a lot. It's the only way I can be sure of not getting a photo-radar ticket. We have those things everywhere here now. Just a warning to anyone who may visit.

That's enough for now. Kind of "first blush" thoughts.

1 person likes this.
  2. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I actually managed to get the eves-trough screen in via the top. I had to make "tools" so I could move it around to the right position, then zip-tie it from the front by bending the zip tie so it would come back out.

Also got the correct "hub caps" and installed them on the car. Wheel covers are stored in the garage.

Dropped it off at the shop that installs 3M vinyl paint protection this morning. Get it back tomorrow morning. Will post pictures then.

Oh, a little early, BUT, wow, the MID tells me I'm averaging 3.7 l/100 km. Who'd a thunk it! Pearl struggled to get to 4.5.

3. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    car front quarter - small.jpg car front - small.jpg
    A picture showing the grill mesh for those interested and another showing the wheels with the hub caps.

ChipL likes this.
  4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for sharing, David. Pearl S is looking good!

From one former GenII owner to another... Cheers!

Justin

5. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I'm finally actually -driving- the car. I was waiting for the 3M stuff so the paint wouldn't start out with chips.

NOW I'm impressed! Pearl S does MUCH better than Pearl did. Sorry GII guys, but technology marches on!
    Yup, it's still early, and yup, the weather is almost ideal for mileage. But still, 4.0, 3.7, 3.9 etc. on different "trips" (each run from turning it on to turning it off). Not sure exactly how accurate the MID is as I haven't used up enough fuel to have to refill yet.
    I'm actually waiting in anticipation to fuel up! We must all be sick or something. ;)

6. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wait until your tires wear out and you put a set of the Energy Savers on. Between summer weather and these tires my mpg have skyrocketed! I'm sitting at 62mpg right now over the last 400 miles. lol

7. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, went "down the road" in the city five km to pick up something I left behind yesterday. Both locations at the same elevation, no real hills between. I shut the car off in the garage and WOW, 2.7 l/100 km (87 MPG US)! Yea, I don't expect to get that a lot, but I NEVER saw anything like that with Pearl! My first full tank yielded 4.7 l/100km (50 MPG US). Lots of short trips and one highway trip.
    Fun with Prius!

8. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Oh, another thing that's different. Well, more sensitive. First wash. Door locks were clicking every time I applied water. Pearl wasn't as sensitive. Pearl S must be ticklish! ;)