1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

yet another diesel vs. hybrid comparison: Chevy Tahoe Hybrid vs. Mercedes GL320 CDI

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by cwerdna, May 1, 2008.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  2. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    check out page 92 of the april 2008 Automobile magazine, here's a summary:

GMC Yukon SLT
    price (base/as tested) $40,465 / $51,965
    5.3 liter 16-valve V8 (320hp, 340lb-ft)
    weight: 4850 lb
    tow rating: 8200 lb
    epa mileage 14 / 19
    automobile magazine observed mileage 11 / 16

GMC Yukon Hybrid
    price (base/as tested) $53,755 / $56,045
    6.0 liter 16-valve V8 (332hp, 367lb-ft)
    weight: 5900 lb
    tow rating: 6000 lb
    epa mileage 20 / 20
    automobile magazine observed mileage 14 / 21

Mercedes-Benz GL320 deisel
    price (base/as tested) $53,775 / $69,375
    3.0 liter 24-valve V6 (215hp,298lb-ft)
    weight: 5720 lb
    tow rating: 7500 lb
    epa mileage 18 / 24
    automobile magazine observed mileage 23 / 27 *******************

The M-B doesn't have very good epa mileage, but check out the great gas mileage the staff at automobile magazine actually got in the real world with the GL320. Now factor in the fact that diesels can use biodiesel and the M-B is a much better choice than the Yukon Hybrid.

The article also said that there is no reverse on the transmission of the Yukon, like the prius the yukon hybrid has to back up purely on battery power, so how are you gonna back up in a yukon hybrid when you're towing a heavy boat or trailer with just battery power?

& has anyone seen the magazine ads that says the gmc yukon hybrid gets the same city gas mileage as a 4-cylinder camry? that's gotta be a lie, toyota should sue GM.

3. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a lie!
    This from Toyota's web page is the EPA mileage estimate for the 2008 Camry with 2.4L 4 cylinder engine and 5 speed auto or 5 speed manual trans: -
    Miles Per Gallon (city/highway) [5]21/31

But the Yukon epa mileage is 20 / 20
    A good effort but no banana.

4. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi cns...,

The Prius can backup on electricity only. But, that does not mean that the engine wont run, and supply extra power than just the battery, if needed. Although, I have not confirmed this, as the only time I needed allot of reverse toque the tires were squeeling over the tire ramps of a lift at a car shop, and I was not paying attention to if the engine was running or not. I was more interested in getting my foot off the gas and on the brake, and avoid hitting the mechanic with his mouth wide open in astonishment next to the car. The Prius MG2 has lots of torque, that we do not normally experience independant of engine power, unless we get the battery SOC up to all green bars.

Now, the GM 2-mode hybrid is completely different, but it does have two motor-generators. I imagine, one could be clutched to be a generator, while the other runs in reverse. But I do not know for sure.

Backing up, one is below 10 mph, so Torque is much more important than power.

5. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You could look at those mpg numbers for the std Yukon vs Hybrid Yukon a lot of different ways, but I am really impressed at the difference between the Hybrid - Non-Hybrid mpg.

The Hybrid achieved a 27% improvement in city mpg and a 31% improvement for the highway mpg over the standary Yukon. That is pretty significant.