1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet Another Tire Advice Thread

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Katsu Curry, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Katsu Curry

Katsu Curry Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hi all,

I've spent a few hours now reading through all the tire threads here and also reading tire reviews, etc. Sadly, I'm no closer to a decision than before I started.

I have a 2004 Prius. I put Costco Michelin Radial X tires on them about 4 years ago. While I was generally happy with them, I found them to slip a bit on wet roads and be slightly noisy. I was very happy, though, with the service I got from Costco.

I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada. Thus, my top concern is:

- excellent wet road traction

Second, I'd like a quiet ride.

As much as I'd not like to spend the money, I think I'll have to pony up for a good pair of snow tires this winter since we'll be headed up to Whistler once or twice (legally required to have snow tires past Squamish).

I can buy here in Vancouver or in Washington state. I was leaning towards the Hankook Optimo H727's but I don't see the exact size (185/65R15) available.

Any suggestions, especially from Prius drivers used to lots of wet weather, would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Katsu

2. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    KatsuKare? I love KatsuKare. Great nickname!

Firstly, you wouldn't want a pair of snow tires, you get all 4. Those Optimo 727s aren't snows of course, but got great ratings for snow as compared with other all weather tires. That with the low price and high tread wear rating/warranty makes it a good choice I think.

- D

3. Vic Doucette

Vic Doucette Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just got a set of those Optimo 727s yesterday. I bought the 195/60R-15s, which fit well. Took a mileage hit, of course, because they are brand-new and stiff. Paid about $340 U.S., taking into account a $100 rebate from the store ... the check is in the mail, as they say.

4. olerox

olerox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I researched the daylights about tires before taking the plunge and IMHO there were 4 good top tire contenders. The quietness, CU recommendation and user reviews sent me to the Hankooks.

I got the Hankook Optimo 727's in March. 195/65R/15. I live outside Portland <WET> Oregon and I can tell you that these tires are grippers in rain and deep water, they are also very quiet.

5. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Go to Kal-Tire and check out the Nokian brand! They will have what you need and all Nokian tires are LRR. Hal