1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet another tire thread GY Fuel Max, Nokian WR, i3?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ciphoto, Apr 5, 2009.

1. ciphoto

ciphoto New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Okay I've read the forums posting on tires the past two days and still have a couple questions.

I'm fixing to replace the GY Intergrities that came on our 07 Pruis We just have 30K on it, an they are worn out. They have been rotated every 5K.

I live in the Alabama so snow is not an issue, but rain and wet handing are.

Also I want to go up to 195 or 205's as I believe this will make the car more stable on the interstate, turns, etc... we do a good mix of highway and town driving. Highway trips are at 75/78 mph.

I'm leaning toward the Nokian because of the way their tires are made. Not sure what version, maybe the WR or the i3's. How many miles are people getting out of these tires, and what psi are you running? Is there a tread warranty on these? One thing holding me back is I work out of town a lot, and my wife would have to deal with any tire problems and the only dealer is 50 miles away.

On the more convent issue for her I'm leaning toward the GY Fuel Max tires. But have not found the REV per mile for the 195/60's. But I figure it should be close to the same as the OEM's.

Also are lifetime MPG as per the cars computer is 43/44. But I have not tweaked the tire pressures etc... I do not want to take a milage hit is I can avoid it.

thanks in advance.

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought the Nokians were more of a snow tire, or at least designed for more seasons than Alabama gets. Whatever you choose, you'll take more of a mileage hit with 205s than 195s. The handling improvement of 195s over the stock 185s is well worth any slight mileage loss, I'd say.

3. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    With the Nokians you will actually see an MPG improvement as they are Low Rolling Resistance tires. The WRs (I have them on my 2004 Prius) are great snow/ice tires, but are fine for warm weather use and provide good wet traction as well. I have 44,000 miles on the WRs and they are nearing their EOL (about 3/32 tread left). They still handled the Connecticut winter this year with no problems. I will get a set of WRg2 tires in the next few months.

The newer WRg2 (The WR seems to be no longer available in our size, 185/65HR15) is less of a snow tire as the tread design is less aggressive (lower HWY noise) and should be a good choice for you in Alabama. The i3 is a summer only tire and will not have as good a resistance to hydroplaning or traction in the occasional freezing conditions.

These tires exhibit great ride stability, especially when compared to the Goodyear Integrity tires (very soft sidewalls: side-to-side instability and tread edge wear) that came on my Prius. You don't need to increase tire size to get better stability.

JeffD

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nokian i3 is all season. It is the only known tire that is lighter than the OEM. Traction on the wet and snow are noticeably better. I believe (subjective) they make a bit more noise on the highway.

5. ciphoto

ciphoto New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Thanks for the replies.

Still not sure, thinking about the Nokians H also. I'm calling the dealer tomorrow to check prices etc...

I may order online but I like to spend my money at home if possible and the difference isn't over 15%.

6. msirach

msirach Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    1 person likes this.
  7. ciphoto

ciphoto New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Great link, thanks!

8. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The tire size alone can't tell the whole story. The revolutions/mile (speedometer/odometer calibration is directly proportional to revs/mile) of different tire brands/models can vary by more than 1% even though they are the same "size". Look up the specs on the tires you are considering. Tirerack lists the revs/mile for the tires they carry. Nokian tire specs are available from the manufacturers web site.

Ex: All are 185/65R15

• Goodyear Integrity - 855 revs/mile
    • Michelin MXV4+ - 847 revs/mile
    • Nokian WR - 850 revs/mile
    JeffD

9. ciphoto

ciphoto New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I just ordered the i3 Nokians in 195/60. I'll have them put on when they get here, and will update with my thoughts. Will be making several trips this summer.

I was going to get the Fuel Max but the cost was about the same and I like Nokian Enviro policies etc...

john