1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet another Tire thread!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Syclone, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    As I've commented previously, I'm ready to get rid of my Integrity's after 5000 miles. I've seen some good comments on Michelin's Energy MX4 tires. Can anybody using the Michelins let me know what their experience has been in the following areas?

1. How much of an MPG hit would I have to take switching to the same size MX4 from the Integrity?

2. How much less gas mileage if I go to 195/65/15 (or does it have to be 195/60/15?).

3. What kind of snow/slush performance could I expect? ( Remember, this is NY/Long Island where a 3" snowfall is an event.)

I would appreciate any inputs.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I have had my MXV4+ tires for 25,000 miles after replacing the Integrity tires at 45,000 miles.

MPG actually improves slightly with the MXV4+ , especially in cold weather.

My MXV4+ tires are 185/65R15, but I would expect a slight MPG penalty for heavier tires. Note that My tires have a slightly lower revolutions/mile than the OEMs which lowers the measured MPG 0.7%, but this is not real. Worn tires raise the measured MPG by about 2% (more revs/mile), but this also is not real. 195/65R15 tires will have too low a revs/mile. The 60's would be a better match.

Much better than the original Goodyear Integrity tires, but real snow tires would be even better. If this is a real concern, take a look at the Nokian WR tires (if you can find them).

JeffD

3. Syclone

Syclone Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jdenenberg @ Oct 24 2006, 10:25 AM) [snapback]337305[/snapback]</div>
    Thank Jeff! I really appreciate the information. So I guess I'll be looking at the 185/65/15 or the 195/60/15.

SyC

4. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I second Jeff's comments about the MXV4s. I've had my new set for about three weeks and almost 2k miles. I can't say enough good about them. I had tried a set of Hydroedges, which several members here like very much, but I did not. I took a real hit on mileage and noise was unacceptable, to me anyway. In fairness, both issues were improving with time, but after several thousand miles, with the end of the 30 day free return period, I was unwilling to stay with them. The MXs are a far better match to the Prius, at least in my opinion.

5. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Oh yeah, I forgot to add: remember, the MXs are part of the Michelin "Energy" series of tires. They are a LRR design. Upon installation of the MXs, my mileage returned to the same range as I'd been seeing with the Integs. I don't see much in the way of cold weather down here, so I can't comment on that part.