1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Yet Another Tire Thread

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by The Critic, Sep 18, 2009.

1. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My buddy's 2006 Prius needs new rubber. While the center patch of the tires are not worn out, the inner and outer shoulders (depending on the tire) are worn below the wear bars. It is probably due to a combination of inadequate tire inflation and alignment issues.

The OE size is P185/65-15. He wants a tire that is decent, but not super premium.

Here are the tires that I have found so far:

Costco- BFG Premier Touring- $382.70 out-the-door
    Costco- Michelin X-Radial- $470.38 out-the-door
    Pep Boys- Cooper CS4 Touring- $407.88 out-the-door
    Discount Tire- Yokohama Avid TRZ- $387.09 out-the-door
    Discount Tire- Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position- $453.31 out-the-door

I think the TRZ is the best choice if my buddy is looking for a longer wearing tire. And if he wants something a bit more aggressive, he should look at the RE960AS. What do you guys think? Any other brands/models? I dislike directional tires though.

Thanks!

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am looking for something with a bit more grip. Those new fuel-efficient tires and their lousy traction (relative to a more performance oriented tire) just don't cut it for me.