1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

yet another valet debacle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Garsen, Mar 14, 2006.

1. Garsen

Garsen New Member

i work late, go down to the car, and it's just...dead. has enough juice to weakly beep at me, the dome lights come on at about half power, and there's a great big triangle-! light on that i've never seen before.

the car had been left on all day after a valet moved it. every time its battery got low, it turned on the ICE until it ran out of gas, which was actually pretty amazing to me.

the roadside service's 3 free tanks of gas have apparently resurrected the car, though.

two things:

1. anything else i should watch out for now that this has happened?
    2. make sure you tell valets to turn your car OFF after they park it!

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is the kind of stuff that I'm afraid of. The other night I went to dinner at a restaurant. The valet insisted to park my car because there was a party going on and they need to arrange the cars(I think they want my tip more than anything else).

I told them that the car will need to match my finger prints to open the door (I can easily fake this with SKS :D ), they were like oh :eek: , and pointed me to a spot where I can park.

Garsen, I think the Prius should be smart enough to shut itself down when it runs low. Hopefully nothing is damaged. Or you can ask the dealer to do a diagnostic check and document it. If anything's damaged, have the valet pay the bills.

3. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

They should come with the option of shutting down just like laptops :-p

After an hour of idle (again as an option on the MFD)

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, I am really super reluctant of letting others park my car for just that reason and a handfull of others. Sorry to hear about your problems, Garsen. It's a shame it was late and the guy wasn't there for you to rip into.

5. aaronw

aaronw Junior Member

While I don't yet have a Prius (I've been waiting since December), one thing I know is that running a battery until it is that low is very hard on it. For the 12 volt battery it will build up sulfates and prematurely shorten the life of the battery. I think this is also one case where the Prius will also run down the NIMH battery far below where it normally will, which is also very hard on that battery.

For the 12v battery some of the new car battery chargers have a special mode to help get rid of the sulfate crystals to rejuvenate batteries (and I've seen this work).

Hopefully you can have this billed to the valet parking for any damage caused.

6. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    haha... I can see another news article coming. "Most hated car by valet - the Prius" :lol:

7. gilahiker

gilahiker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I feel for you. :( I rolled up to a hotel this past week and the valet came running up to my car to park it. I politely pointed out that it was a Prius, one of those newfangled hybrids, it was less than a month old, and I did not want anyone else driving it--"...it's very complicated and a high learning curb is required." No problems when I asked where I could park it myself. :D

8. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A great suggestion I read on this board a while ago is to turn off the SKS if you're having a valet park your car. This means that they have to put the FOB in the slot to drive it. Valets are used to taking the "key" out of the car when they're done with it, so it shouldn't be too much to expect that they'll pull the FOB out of the slot, which will shut down the car.

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I just looked at the valet card and the instructions on that is to put the FOB in the slot to power up and to remove the FOB (after pressing Park and Power) when done, so they should know what to do. I do like the idea of turning the SKS off beforehand. If fact, when I had to go to a tire place to fix a leak last weekend, I planned to do that (I ended up taking it to the dealer and I figured they'd know what to do).

10. lowspeed

lowspeed Member

Will it shut the car off when you pull the key out ? ? i'm going to check it out :)

11. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You can't pull the fob out without shutting off power.

12. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There are also spanish versions of the valet instructions also- I laminated the spanish version..

But when I take it to the the closest dealer to service, it ALWAYS comes back almost empty of battery......grrrrrrrrr. Idiots......

13. modernsituations

modernsituations New Member

at least it wasn't stolen. my sister had a brand new bmw M3, 3 days old, they went to a eat at a fancy italian place she handed the guy the keys like normal next thing you know they are doen dinner, they come out and the car is gone and the valet has a blank stare on his face. the WORST!

telling them it's complicated may be the simplest solution...

14. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"I think this is also one case where the Prius will also run down the NIMH battery far below where it normally will, which is also very hard on that battery."

Not true.

15. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    What you need to do is laminate the Idiot Version. :lol:

16. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I can, but that's because I hacked the solenoid wiring so it
    can't grab the fob. Once the car's powered up, the fob doesn't
    need to stay in.
    _H*

17. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Come on, not everybody is hobbit! :p
    Nice website by the way.

18. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, really? OK. You can tell I never put the KeyFob in the slot (although I'm going to try it out on my ride home). I thought I remembered pulling the key out of the slot and having the car shut down, but I definately could be mistaken.

Anyway, I think turning off SKS is still a good idea. Part of parking any car is taking the key out; they know that they should get the key out of the car, and eventually they might read the valet card.

19. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have SKS, so I never know that till last week when I go for the insurance inspection. The guy ask me to put the key in the slot and show him now it works. The guy who inspected the car was impressed by the Prius. He said he worked on a Honda hybrid before, but not as cool as the Prius! At the end, he said he wanted to get one too. :D

20. kirbinster

kirbinster Member

I NEVER let any car jocky touch my Prius or any other car I own -- Period. I offer them a tip, but will not let them touch the car. If they claim they have to move cars and there is no place for me to park I just tell them to move them and I will park it all the way in the back where it will never have to be moved. There is no way I am letting some kid that treats a car like crap touch anything I own.