1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

yikes! i scratched the MFD. help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by konakahuna, Mar 21, 2005.

1. konakahuna

konakahuna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hi guys,
    i feel sick at heart. i keep a micro-fiber towel for cleaning the MDF screen. however, today when i was at the car wash vaccuming out my car, i was sucking dust off the dash and without thinking, ran the vaccum nozzle over the MDF producing a series of thin parallel scratches. it's not really noticeable when the car is on, but i hate to think i've screwed up my new car already. does anyone know a way to get light scratches out of a touchscreen????

please advise!

david r.

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

I have no good news. The roughness of the screen surface gives it some anti-glare capability, and buffing out the plastic surface would certainly leave a difference in smoothness.

Makes me wonder about adding a press-on plstic sheet cover... it would make it harder to read but it might prevent damage from casual scrapes.

3. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You could check someplace like office depot, or computer store and see if they have any cleaner meant for touch screens. I've seen it around before, but don't recall where.

4. Blue-Adept

Blue-Adept Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
  5. flying

flying New Member

Sorry to hear about the scratches. Try a soft cloth w/ a small amount of toothpaste on the cloth and use up and down, then across very lightly. We used to use this method for our radar and radio screens on many types of aircraft that I used to fly w/ good success. Make sure any cleaning of the screen is ALWAYS done w/ a very soft cloth. Good luck.

6. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

My optometrist used to advise me to use Crest toothpaste to polish my hard contact lenses, as long as I didn't tell anyone who suggested it!

It's a very mild abrasive that may smooth the scratch, but it will remove the matte finish of the surrounding areas. I'm not sure which would look worse.

7. konakahuna

konakahuna Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    just called my toyota dealer who made some inquiries...and they say nothing can be done. believe me...it didn't take much to leave a scratch. i remember discussions about adding a protective film to keep the screen clean and scratch free. sounds like great advice in hindsight : (

8. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't forget to FLOSS!

9. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Depending on how deep the scratch is, if you polish with Crest (flossing optional), and then apply the protective film, the matte of the film will appear even, and the scratch may therefore not be visible. You'll also be protected from further scratches.